Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Velo-Felo
Velo-Felo
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rckt3 Offline OP
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
R
Hi all Im looking for some guidance around which way the oil passage drilling in the cam followers go.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
either way, same result.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The cylinder bores for the cam followers do not have any holes or passages so it does not matter which way as far as the cylinder goes. However, the followers should be put back in the same way they came out if they are used because the face has mated to the cam.

R
Rckt3 Offline OP
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
R
thx so much guys I appreciate the quick response, I couldnt find any written into on it and unfortunately they wont be going back where they came out of, they were in a baggie when i got it.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Blue the cam and followers and check the mating each way.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
By looking carefully at the cams and followers---including using a magnifying glass--you might well be able to match follower to cam.
Worth a try!
You really want the matching follower and cam combination to be retained---as they have worn together over miles and time.
Mismatching means they have to start over in terms of wearing together---at best that means adjusting tappets more often and at worst could mean very rapid cam or follower wear and a noisy motor.
HTH

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've always been able to put the cam followers back in their same positions, but I wonder what one would look for in terms of wear. It seems to me that in order for the wear to be uneven, the cam follower would have to be not square with the cam lobe. In that case, I guess the scuff mark would be wider at one end than the other, and likewise on the cam lobe, is that right? Or perhaps there would be tiny scratches caused by irregularities in the surfaces? That would be like ballistics analysis.

If the wear marks are uniform throughout, then I guess the followers could go back in any position.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A combination of all of the above.
It is a bit like detective work.
Remember you only have to identify three matching sets--the fourth is easy!

R
Rckt3 Offline OP
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
R
I will definitely give it a thorough look to see if I can match them up.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com