Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
perfect.tommy
perfect.tommy
vancouver, canada
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
C
After an absence of over 45 years a '69 BSA Rocket 3 is finally back in my shed. In the early '70s I had two R3s sequentially, so I'm not a stranger to them, and having one back is a bit like reuniting with an old flame. Thrilling but the years show.

Through the generosity of CVMG (the national vintage bike group in Canada) members I was able to find a center stand with fittings that is taking a little heat treatment to get back into shape, and the proper (NOS!) horn/dimmer switch for the left bar.

So the first questions are regarding rear rim size. I'm a little puzzled to find that the rear rim is 18" not 19" as original. Is this a common change because of tire availability or did the PO just have one laying around? Are there any handling concerns with it? I expect it will make it harder to lever up on the new stand but can likely live with that.

I'll post a picture when it's up on the center stand.

Cheers,

Brock

'72 Commando
'70 Bonneville
'70 Lightning
'69 Rocket 3
'67 Metralla Mk2 (x2)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Brock---welcome to Britbike and welcome back to the world of the triples.
Using an 18" rear rim rather than the original 19" has been pretty popular over the years ---for the reason you mention---much greater choice of tires.
In terms of handling complications or difficulties in getting it on the center stand---it all depends.
Some of the modern tires have outside diameters very close to the old 19" TT100s in which case there is no real difference to gearing, handling and ease of putting it on the stand.
Suggest that you peruse the technical details of the tire now fitted on the manufacturers web site to find out the tire OD when fitted to the rim width you have and compare this with the data on the Dunlop site for the OD of the TT100 (K81) as fitted to the original rim width in 19".
HTH

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Maple, Ontario - isn't it Vaughn?
I'm in Mississauga with my 73 Trident.
If your Rocket 3 became operational you will be second triple riding guy in GTA area. smile

C
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
C
Thanks for the welcome Tridentman, and for the thoughts on the 18" rear. It's got a new Dunlop K70 400S18 on it and the sidewalls look quite tall so it's probably good to go, certainly better than a radial for circumference.

And hi Adam, yes it's Vaughan these days. Maple is really just around the crossroads of Keele and Major Mack. I'm glad to hear you get your Trident out on the road and I plan to too. While my Rocket starts well and sounds good it won't be 'operational' until a shakedown ride or three. That will be after the salt leaves the roads. We've likely got a friend or two in common if you went on any of the 'Mods and Rockers' or 'Ton Up' events.

The centerstand I found is now straightened out (bent correctly?) and awaiting a coat of black. With great joy I received a real '69 Shop Manual, and with less I see more to be attended to every time I look at the bike. Good times.

Cheers,

Brock

'72 Commando
'70 Bonneville
'70 Lightning
'69 Rocket 3
'67 Metralla Mk2 (x2)
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I used to with my friend Steve a few years ago on our BSAs A65.
Later we switched to Triumphs and BMWs and started longer daily / weekend trips to Forks, Elora, Hockley Valley and so on. I hope we can do the same this coming season.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Brock,
Originally Posted by Captainkcorb
new Dunlop K70 400S18 on it
probably good to go,
S is too low for a triple, Dunlop K81/TT100 fitted originally were/are H-rated; how picky are your local safety inspectors?

Originally Posted by Captainkcorb
certainly better than a radial for circumference.
confused Afaik, only radial available that'd fit is Continental "ClassicAttack" 110/90R18, Continental say it's the same o.d. as a K70?

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com