Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
perfect.tommy
perfect.tommy
vancouver, canada
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
clive1 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
HI Beeza Boys,
I want to convert my '62 A10 rear wheel set up, from the standard FWH to the QD gold star type set up,
are swing arms the same, in other words can I retain my original A10 s/arm,
+ are there any conversion kits out there,
do not need the wheel, only the centre hub, as would lace with S/S spokes,
would really appreciate any advice, and ideally someone here who has actually made this change to their A10
cheers guys

Last edited by clive1; 02/11/21 11:07 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The swing arms are different. The QD type has the brake anchor on the left

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
1 member likes this: clive1
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
In addition to the swing arm you would need to reconfigure the brake pedal. A friend was considering doing this conversion and has gathered all the parts but has yet to do the conversion. Replacing the swing-arm requires removing the transmission. Before you know it the whole bike is in pieces.

Laurence Luce
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Clive: If you decide to change the swingarm you need to consider the diameter of the swingarm fork spindle. Your current spindle would be the large hollow type to accommodate the brake crossover shaft. The GS spindle is solid and thinner and the mounting holes in the frame are smaller.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Another thing I forgot to mention; the swing arm for a QD wheel uses a smaller diameter pivot shaft. The conversion is not impossible but it will involve a fair amount of work and adaptation.

Laurence Luce
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
And the rims won't lace to the single side hub.

C
clive1 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Thanks Guys for all the replies,
As I have some years ago converted the swing arm to solid bronze bushes and lined reamed them fitted taper roller steering head bearings and two way damped forks with Girling competition rear shocks, handles absolutely like it's on rails, (do not need to remove transmission to remove the swingarm incidentally), would have no problem fabricating the brake anchor bracket and welding onto the left side,
I know that the GS set up has the rear brake pedal fulcrum on the left and there is no crossover through the hollow spindle,
but I see no issues in retaining the original swingarm (with brake anchor mod) so retaining the benefit of the bronze bushed centre arrangement, I was not intending to use the original rims but lace new rims with polished stainless steel spokes to the QD hub,
Where does the "new" brake pedal pivot?, this will NOT have the rear set footrest set up, but retain the A10 touring position footrests
thanks guys for any further info
Cheers Clive

Last edited by clive1; 02/12/21 2:33 pm. Reason: spelling errors
C
clive1 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Have had the swing arm out to carry out bronze bush conversion (see more info below)
and DOES NOT require any removal of transmission.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com