Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
SteveM
SteveM
Austin, KY, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Hey Everyone, up to painting my tank on the 71 Firebird. Have looked at a whole heap of photos but everyone seems different in where the stripes and bronze panels start and finish especially where they terminate in relationship to the alloy tank strip. Any photos or help on original paint scheme much appreciated. Bronze or Green will be the same. Cheers, Stu

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I did some detailed measurements of my Thunderbolt tank before I stripped it. Measurements from certain data points (if you go from badge holes) differ between left and right side, but that’s because of the location of the holes.

I need to do this as a detailed image for my resto so if your happy to wait a few days I’ll send you a copy.

Also I believe Mick at Burton BikeBits has the correct reflective strip for the lightning/firebird/A70.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

M
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Yes, I have only just realised that the bottom stripe was in fact done in tape. Is it an orange reflective stripe?.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It is.

The black is just a black tape (i will paint mine) The sad thing is with heat from the sun or the UV they shrink over time, seen a couple of orange tanks do this but not the black.

The colour section also has a sharp point but the tape doesn't it is radiused at the corners.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com