Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#838623 01/31/21 8:48 am
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
I don't mean what Lannis says is shocking here dudes, oh NO Matey me ladio, what I mean here is SHOCKING Lannis, putting 50,000 volts up his sit-upon, his Conchutta, as me Olde Mum used to call it.... grin

What's brought all this on...? I hear y'all ask, well it was that Tarvin thread, it got me to thinking about all the wonderful times, and great things we all did at the BSA do in Brimfield. MAN that was a fantastic time, and I got to thinking....?

The lad in question here, very kindly loaned me a wonderful machine for the event, and the ride after. And that very machine had one tiny little fault, the mighty M21 used to jump out of 3rd gear. SO after all these years I'm guessing Lannis will need that Shock of which I speak, to get him to fix it. Not only that but he bought an olde Brit bike in boxes for his *Retirement* project, and has anyone heard of it since...? Heard bugger all I also wager, shame on the lad, he'll be whacking bushes or stroking cabbages ANYTHING but walking over to his 600000KW heater in that MASSIVE fettling shed, throwing the switch, and sitting there letting the fettling irons fly.... shocked

Why am I having a 'Pop'...? It was himself that told me to keep on at him, so it's HIS fault.... grin

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You must realise Shaun, though you have yet to find out for yourself, that retirement brings so little time to do so many things help

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I am also interested in that there retirement project so come on Lannis any news.

BSA 1947 M21
BSA 1946 M21 + sidecar

BSA 1933 three wheeler V twin
1935 model 16 AJS
1962 matchless G12
1962 BSA A10
1955 BSA A10
1955 Triumph T110
1955 B31
2010 bonnie SE

1955 Triumph T110
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Bryan lad, BELIEVE me I can't wait to be that busy.... wink

5yrs to go, and counting.........Although if they keep messing me around like they've been doing since Christmas, THAT time will be sooner.... mad

Geoff lad, we might have to pop over there and poke Lannis with a pointed stick.... thumbsup

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I have only just begun to realize that retirement bring MUCH less time to do the stuff I want to do.

Mind you, I still have 2 school-age children at home; so my situation is, shall we say, "slightly" different than the average retiree...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I thought Covid quarantine would allow me time to get stuff done... Well I did get stuff done but not much of it was bike stuff ... But the yard (garden ) got a facelift... I have learned the hard lesson that there is never enough time so you have to make time... and its really boils down to setting the priorities.

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah, I thought I'd have plenty of time once I retired.
But, now I have four bikes and a house to tend to. I'm almost finished with home improvement though, at least the stuff that I can do myself. laugh

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Wade man dude, you hit the nail squarely on the noggin, you MAKE time. That's where me 2hr a day rule comes into play, even if that means getting into the fettling shed at 06.00 then starting the rest of the day at 08.00, you'd have done a bit towards getting the bikes ready. It just needs discipline of the mind, think of it as *Work* that's what gets me up at 02.00 most days, and I wager others have to struggle in at Silly 'O' Clock as well.... thumbsup

And in my defence here, the BIG man did say to me, please keep on at me or I'll never get these things done, I've let him rest enough I think, so it's time I did my job, and got him back on the tools. Got to do it quick or Spring will be upon us and he'll have more excuses.... help

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Silly 'O' Clock Shaun?
I used to call it Stupid O'Clock

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Going into my second month of semi retirement I find that I have time but still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that I actually do. As a result I'll get started on one thing and then get distracted by another 5 or 6 that also need doing and end up not getting anything of consequence done. Working hard on changing that.
And I notice that the BIG man has not yet chimed in in his own defense? Perhaps he's hard at work as we type

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I'm thinking someone needs to define what "Retirement" is.

If it is; Riding bikes around, going to Pub(s), travel adventures, wrenching on projects, and not really a care in the world, then I need a time machine. The model that only has reverse.

Per that bit of paper that shows up every now and then, my nine digit number has done 47 years and three more to go. I think I have been tricked.....

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I've just had to have 3 months not working as I was on the sick.
Got the garage lights done, re-carpeted, and new heavy duty shelves, which allowed me to find stuff which got sold on ebay to buy more things.

House tidied as well.

AND I still didn't get the BSA dispatch books entered into a database, just got some done.

pah you wimps smile

Thrash, Bang, Re-Build...
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Let us not loose focus here, Mr. Lannis sir, there seems to be a gauntlet on the ground in front of you!

Mostly I just want to hear what the project in question consists of, the Morgan, a Vincent, Ariel Square Four ??!!

I too am truly inundated with projects I should be making more progress with but... my, what a great view I have from my glass house...

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Shaun, you're spot on target as always.

As I review my excuses for not making more progress than I have, they're mostly good ones .... Grandchildren here, Subaru oil pressure light on, new end-tables to assemble for Fay, pushing snow off the driveway, clearing and restoring the old cemetery on the place, building drainage channels for the driveway, cutting 5 miles of walking trails, getting my topless Toyota on the road, cleaning out and reorganizing the shop, getting a few miles in on the Triumph and Guzzi when weather permits, etc etc ...

.... but I HAVE been doing a little bit, it's on a BSA M21 gearbox, and folks have been helping, and the thread is here

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/838795#Post838795

but I'm stuck until I can find some documentation. I also need to install a ammeter, new handlebars, and leakdown check the A10, figure out why the Norton won't start, reassemble the engine on the A65, and get the Burman BAP gearbox on the Matchless together (and the motor and the complete bike but softly softly catchee monkey).

It's a good life. Can't think of anything I really want that I don't already have. Still got my health (for my age anyway, my 25-year-old self would think I was crippled and almost dead), my lovely bride, beautiful grandchildren, and good friends.

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
Lannis me ladio, some of them is fine excuses, BUT and yes indeed lad that is a big but right there. Y'all could get them grand kiddies on the case, come here y'all, you say to them. Sit there and I'll show you what MY Grandpappy used to ride back then, you drag out that *retirement* bike from under the bench. WHY you exclaim, someone has taken it all to bits...!

Now, says you to them very kids, what a great idea it'll be if WE put it all back together. Just need y'all to help me clean off all this brown stuff first, which is rust from sitting under a damp bench....

And so it goes, just like Johnny Cash told us, One Piece at a time. This teaches the little uns loads of stuff, and they're spending quality time with the Old Boy too, a win win situation if ever there was one. I'd limit the time spent to just ONE hour with little people their attention span is very short, but the skill is to leave them wanting more, find something of interest to them, then say. We'll leave THAT bit till next time, thus they'll have a hankering to get back.... wink

Dress them up in your old shirts, worn backwards and tied with string, kids love getting dressed up and getting covered in shyte. Make it an Adventure for them lad.... thumbsup

Course in years to come, they'll be sitting in a bar and one will say....Do you remember Grandpappy Selz making us do all that bloody work, with us getting covered in shyte. Well I found out Selz is a German name, I bloody knew he was a Nazi making us work like that..... laughing

But THAT my lad, is a chance y'all have to take.... ohno

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Wut day is today ?

--Respoked and Retired.

I do have an analog clock that gives me a general idea of time and days passing.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
When you no longer punch a clock does it really matter ?

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
2 members like this: ricochetrider, Chip H
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
....where does the time go??....

--Grateful Dead

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
The strange thing about Covid is that the group with the highest mortality is the retired group. So you finally have the time and money to visit the Isle of Man, Prague and Florence, but you dare not do it in any way shape or form that means you need to be around the most dreaded group of all.... other people.

So you spend your entire day trying to find the sweet spot between air prices, hotel prices and vaccine prices.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by RF Whatley
The strange thing about Covid is that the group with the highest mortality is the retired group. .

That's not a personal fear for me. Chances of my getting done by it are one in thousands. WAY more likely to get killed by a texting driver or an aneurysm, and THAT doesn't stop me from living and riding. And vaccine prices aren't an issue either.

I've had a lot of places to go and people to be with in the past year, so not too much impact, although I do regret not being able to just hit the road and go random places; not because I fear being around others, but because so many places are shut down, and like in Outer Mongolia or Cameroon, you can't count on finding a place to stay or eat or get gas.

And it certainly hasn't affected my ability to get out in the shop and get things sorted! We have the grandchildren over fairly often, and my 8-year-old brought some "Geodes" (hollow rocks with crystals inside), so we went out in the shop with a brickmason's hammer and a big chisel, put on safety glasses, and whanged away until we split them open.

Much like working on a BSA, come to think of it! I'm finding out more about BSA "M" transmissions than I ever planned on, m'seh dat!

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Although we usually keep our respective worlds fairly separate (Shop is mine; house is hers), Fay could see that a bit of encouragement and moral support was in order, so she and I spent a couple hours in the shop today ... it's gotten extremely disorganized and cluttered over the years, and she has a good eye for what might improve things.

We threw away 2 50-gallon drums of stuff, separated lots of stuff by function (electrical here, drills there, air tools/gauges/pumps over there, electrical yonder, gunsmithing/cleaning in there), and the endorphins really get flowing when you come in and see actual flat workbench areas, and tools where they are supposed to be.

I hate throwing things away, but sometimes it just has to be done and get it behind you.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with drill bits. Do I buy a drill-sharpening widget and sharpen up all my old bits? Or do I just throw out any dull bits and buy nice new American-made ones? There's a certain satisfaction in being able to maintain your own tools (I have FINALLY learned how to sharpen chain-saw chains to cut like new, and am pretty good on knives and garden tools too), but maybe it's more hassle than it's worth with drill bits ....

Lannis

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
With drill bits, it depends on how big and expensive a particular one is, vs. how often you ever use it.

My Dad was a machinist, and I inherited all of his drills, but I seldom use any that are over 1/2 inch in diameter.
I have drawers full of the bigger ones that I keep oiled to prevent rust, but maybe it's time to find new owners for them.

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Sharpening bits is easy with drill jig, but it is not even hardly exciting, so usually everything else seems to take precedence. I have pile needing remedial attention, but so there have been other more exciting activities to pursue. However, with Covid seeming to be non ending - sharpening has crossed my mind on occasion during these times. Maybe after the engine I have partially assembled is finished ...............

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I have a Drill Doctor that my father gave me when he decided he no longer needed sharp bits. I usually just touch up whatever bit I'm about to use rather than even think about sitting down to sharpen them all.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by wildbill
Sharpening bits is easy with drill jig, but it is not even hardly exciting, so usually everything else seems to take precedence. I have pile needing remedial attention, but so there have been other more exciting activities to pursue. However, with Covid seeming to be non ending - sharpening has crossed my mind on occasion during these times. Maybe after the engine I have partially assembled is finished ...............

Well, I don't require "exciting" ... matter of fact, I've been spending some serious time on the most mundane activities.

Getting my hardware sorted out ... the last time it was done, my sons did it when they were in the 7th grade, helping out Dad.

Twenty-two years later, I can't find anything and often buy something that I'm pretty sure I have somewhere in some bin or a pile. So I found every nut, bolt, screw, rivet, and fastener in the shop and sorted them ALL into wood screws, sheet metal screws, carriage bolts, hex bolts, allen bolts, flat washers, lock washers, etc etc, then by length and diameter, then into coarse and fine threads, then into SAE, Metric, British. I found an amazing amount of stuff - hose clamps, cotter pins, staples, any sort of hardware I needed. I should never have to spend another dime in a hardware store. So that's something.

Now my electrical stuff - connectors, fuses, shrink tubing, crimpers, wire, etc all needs to be sorted out, so that's on the list.

But I was planning on doing the drills next. I have two Skil 1/2" drill motors, one big Makita two-handled drill, and a Craftsman drill press. I want to have all the drill bits lined up, clearly marked, sharpened, and ready to go - wood bits HERE, metal cutting bits THERE, masonry bits in THAT rack. But maybe I'll just buy a few new ones ....

In between, I'm trying to get in a little progress on the bikes. But so much of that is research on line or on here, and not so much time in the shop. When you're trying to figure out the part number for a washer for a specific year of gearbox in a specific location, it isn't done in the shop!

Lannis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com