Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#839267 02/06/21 11:47 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi, I have a STD gearbox which I have fitted a reverse cam plate, how do I line up the indexing rocker to make this work correctly?
I have converted several RRT2 boxes to 5 speed and have built several other gearboxes, no problem, but I am missing something here?

On a STD box with standard cam plate it is just a simple case of lining up the the dots / dimples on the indexing rocker and case with the cam plate in neutral as the ‘sandwich’ plate goes on.

The nearest reference I could find was in an Haynes Manual which stated it was “Trial and error” ! Really!!

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

1959 and 1960’s Goldies UK and West Coast.
+ many others.

Mike.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have a reverse cam plate on the shelf that I intend to install someday, but I haven't done it yet so I haven't tested the information in the following two sources. Dave_NV described his procedure here, and another approach is described in the April 2011 issue of Classic Bike Guide. There it says to use a dot of paint on the selector in the position that is mirrored on the other side of the center line.

1 member likes this: 68triton
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The reverse camplate will not fit unless the casing is drilled and tapped for the index plunger at the top position

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Andy, Many thanks, Sorry but have I not made myself clear.I have machined and tapped the case for top index plunger, it is the indexing arm ( in sandwich plate) position that engages with gear shifter ‘claws’ in the outer case is my problem.

Kind. Regards
Mike.

Mike.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
OMG that was so easy! Many thanks for the info and to it’s author (Dave-NV). With regards the other method of mirroring the Red dot about the centre line was my original thinking, but no joy. It may be that be that the cam plate needs to be in a particular gear and not neutral with this method.

By the way, I purchased your Gold Star publication last year. Very enjoyable read!

Kind regards

Mike.

Mike.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I may have mentioned this before .... With the outer cover and inner off the tranny, using a largish slip joint plier, grasp the index cam plate and rotate it engaging 4th gear. Refit the inner cover and the shift arm protruding through the hole of the sandwich plate should just be clear of the top of the hole. Disregard the 'red dots'. Make sense?

Dave - NV

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com