Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Alex
Alex
Seattle
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I intend to fit take off points for a Carbtune manometer on one of my T160s.
The take off stubs have a thread of 5mm X 0.8mm and I have some Allen screws of that thread to block the holes for normal riding.
I will have to drill and spot face holes and tap them to screw in the take off stubs.
My questions are:
a) Any experiences of using the Carbtune device on triples?
b) If so where did you put the take off stubs?--carb flange?, stub that bolts to carb?, or stub that bolts to engine?
TIA for any info.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Tridentman
a) Any experiences of using the Carbtune device on triples?

b) If so where did you put the take off stubs?--carb flange?, stub that bolts to carb?, or stub that bolts to engine?

They were already there when I bought my T160 although I did build up the areas with Lumiweld as the intakes had been opened up internally which left very little metal thickness to thread into.

If the person who did it had angled them outwards it would have made the Carbtune stubs and pipes easier to fit and remove but it's not really a problem.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
Richard,
I drilled the gantry for my T150 30 years or more ago. It has bosses in the gantry that lent themselves to doing it. I have used it for manometers for sinking the carbs. As time has gone on, however, I have found that I can do just as good a job by ear, once I have ensured the slides are all lifted approximately the same amount at rest. Never tried a carb tune on it. I used one on my BSA with GPs on it. Found that if I set the carbs where the carb tune said (just turning blue as I recall), the bike would balk when I gave it throttle. Set it a bit richer and no more problem, although if I get stuck in traffic on a hot day the plugs can foul.

Ed from NJ

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ed--I think that you may be confusing the Carbtune, which ia essentially a manometer for synching the carb slides --with Colortune , which is the spark plug with the see through top in which you can see the combustion taking place and is essentially an aid in adjusting the mixture rich vs lean etc.
Les---have you found the Carbtune helpful in synching the carbs?---any does and don'ts?

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Les---have you found the Carbtune helpful in synching the carbs?---any does and don'ts?

Yes, it does the job fine. Due to the VM28s, the Carbtune can be used 'right way up' unlike my other bikes with Amals, Bings where the Carbtune has to be hung in the inverted position (it's in the instructions as I expect you know) to get good vacuum readings.

The only problem is with the drillings being that close to the head/rocker box, the flexible pipes can be damaged by the engine heat if the checking continues for too long requiring them to be trimmed back to remove the damage.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 02/06/21 9:54 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I asked the question a while back, and received these as guidance. I have all the kit, just never got around to setting it up yet

The pictures were originally supplied by Shadock 06 in a similar question I asked on TriplesOnline

Last edited by jimmymckenna; 02/06/21 4:14 pm. Reason: To credit the photographer

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Les/Jimmy--- Many thanks for your responses and information---much appreciated.

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com