Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Just want to double check before I break something.. 5 bolts and 4 nuts? Engine rebuilt 10 years ago but never ran.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
That is my counting. Could have corrosion on the four studs. Pour some Liquid wrench or similar in the holes. Use a wood block or plastic hammer on solid parts such as the front head steady mount or intake runners. Some people feed cord in through the spark plug hole and use the piston to push up on the head.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Vibration, good quality penetrating oil, and time are your friends. Time means hours, maybe weeks, I have spent months. There was a long ago story on brit-iron of an engine retrieved from the bottom of a lake after many years. The owner went through this process for 2-3 years but it came apart. I just spent off and on for a week tapping and gently pulling on some bathroom fixtures in place since 1960. Came apart eazy peazy. But p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.
Love all, rick

1963 BSA Rocket Goldstar, 1969 Triumph Tiger, 1969 Norton Commando, 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Some people feed cord in through the spark plug hole and use the piston to push up on the head.
This has always worked for me. I've got soft rope that I put through each spark plug hole. Then, a slow movement on the kicker breaks it free.

I usually do the same with the barrels... leave the nuts and bolts finger tight in the head, loosen the nuts on the base of the barrels, push down on the kicker and it's good to go.

R
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Got it! Last guy put RTV on the head gasket! Heat gun softened it enough to get it off

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com