Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
BikeVice
BikeVice
San Rafael, Ca.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BigBars Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Folks, from the workshop Manual and the dodgy Haynes Manual, it seems as through one should tighten the 3 cap screws inside each rocker box before tightening down the head bolts in their sequence when rebuilding the top end.

Is this correct, or is there another recommended way?

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The five 1/4" screws can be tightened before the head bolts but you should retighten them afterward due to compression of the head gaskets. The 1/4" screws have less through hole clearance than the head bolts so tightening the head bolts first before installing the 1/4" screws might bind the 1/4" bolts unless you have doweled the rockerboxes.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I nip up the screws first then tighten the head bolts to the torque figures (in sequence) then finally tighten the screws.
My way of thinking is that the screws hold down the flimsy side so get that side into position then tighten the bolts then finally screw down the flimsy side.
Just my way of looking at it.
HTH

BigBars Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the input folks. Very valuable.

Seems there is a shortage of triple pushrods on our side of the pond at the moment. Only Hyde had any in stock. Once they come I can put it all together.

Currently playing with my spokes, rear wheel was 2 mm oval.

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com