Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
BikeVice
BikeVice
San Rafael, Ca.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well I had a minor tip over right in the garage, the Trident went over onto the left side and came to rest on the foot peg mount just as gentle as you please... or so I thought.

The mount is bent up a few degrees, enough so that shifting and even riding will be uncomfortable.

Will I do harm to this mount casting by heating to bend back ever so slightly...? I can well imagine that a replacement is not available.

Thanks for any advise here.

Best,
Rob

Photo just because... Pre bend too.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a livin' but all I wanna do is Ride" - Jackson Browne

Current:
'75 T-160 Trident, '78 T-140 V Bonneville, '71 T100R Daytona, '13 Electra Glide, a garage full of Guzzis, '88 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Hawk GT, '84 RZ350 KR, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1969 Dalesman Trials etc and a '73 MGB for good measure... smile
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Heating and bending using a lever is fine---that is the way I have done them over the years--starting by needing to get them straight after coming off due to over exuberant cornering 60 years ago!
I normally take the footrest off the bike and clamp it in the vice and then heat and lever it straight.
May need repainting afterwards.
Best of luck!
Nice bike by the way.
HTH

1 member likes this: Robert Dentico
knuckle head
knuckle head
As TM says.....They are forged steel and can handle the red hot situation. Let cool on their own...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Perfect, thanks you guys. I will indeed remove the mount, I will be careful and yes, repaint.

I applicate the feedback.

Rob

"They told me I was gonna have to work for a livin' but all I wanna do is Ride" - Jackson Browne

Current:
'75 T-160 Trident, '78 T-140 V Bonneville, '71 T100R Daytona, '13 Electra Glide, a garage full of Guzzis, '88 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Hawk GT, '84 RZ350 KR, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1969 Dalesman Trials etc and a '73 MGB for good measure... smile
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
When I first got my Trident, almost 40 years ago, I was living at my parents' house. My father hated me having a bike (which was actually somewhat understandable under the circumstances, but that is a different story) and twice, while pulling his car into the garage, "accidently" tapped my bike, causing it to tip over on the foot peg. Both times the foot peg was bent up, and more than just a few degrees. Both times I straightened cold and on the bike with a piece of pipe for leverage and a large pal holding the bike from tipping over. $0 years later there is no evidence of problems resulting from the "cold" straightening. I am no metallurgist, and heat might very well be preferred, but cold straightening worked for me back then.

Ed from NJ

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
edunham,
Good to know as well that the mount can go back cold. I removed the left side mount and I'll give it a try with heat later today, waiting for the garage to warm up.
My only dilemma is how far to go with bringing it back to be comfortable, I eye-balled it prior to removable and I think I have a good idea of how far to pull it down and from where to heat it. Looks as if the bend at the peg will do it.
I have new rubbers so that is a plus too.

Best,
Rob

Current:
Life member
Life member
I've straightened them cold before also. After all, they bend cold...

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The best position for the footrests is not to make them horizontal IMHO.
Think of the angle that you lower leg makes when in position on the footrest.
Your leg starts off at the top of the lower leg close to the rear of the gas tank and where the front of the seat is at its narrowest.
The lower leg then goes down splayed out at an angle to sit on the footrest.
You really need the footrest to be at 90 degrees to the angle of the lower leg when you are sitting on the bike.
This gives you the most comfortable riding position and also gives you good ground clearance when cornering.
HTH

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
These are not steel fogings, tooling casts would be too high. They are malleable cast iron, cast iron heat treated to drive the carbon out to give the component steel like physical properties. As the inner core may still be brittle heating before bending is advisable even if they do bend cold.

And the likely supplier

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/814386/m-b-frame-lugs#Post814386

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
How interesting that you guys bring up the angle to bring the peg(s) back to. I have put considerable thought into this very issue. I also agree on the 90 degrees to the lower leg as Tridentman mentions. There is also the thought that the outside bumper of the rubber would keep the foot from slipping off... maybe not.

I did attach all manner of protractors and angle finders on the peg to try and determine the correct angle to return it to. I will not embarrass myself showing you all of that... As best I can tell, about 10 degrees up from horizontal will do it.

I heated up the offended elbow and gave it steady pressure until it was as good as I think it should be. I'll mount it back up when it is cool and show you.

Thanks for the input.
Rob

Current:
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just remember that if you don't get the DS peg bent down far enough you will need to loosen it to remove the clutch cover.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I found this to be an acceptable position. Paint and a new rubber tomorrow. Clutch cover accessible. wink

Thanks for the input on bending this back.

Best
Rob

Current:
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Rob--that looks horizontal to me---unless the photo is deceiving?
I thought that you were aiming for it to be angled upwards a little?

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Tridentman,
It is a bit lower than I first thought I would go with however, the position feels very comfortable. I had heated and bent the peg down being very cautious about not going too far. Let it cool and mounted the peg back on, tightened up snug, lowered the lift and gave it a sit.

The peg still felt jut a tad too high and turned in so as to, over time during a ride possibly make my arthritic left knee sore. My leg is so neutral in sitting astride the Trident that I want to cater to making it as comfortable as possible. I even took the time to sit on the Bonneville on a lift right next to the Trident for comparison, the pegs on that are fairly flat as well.

So I reheated and pulled it down a bit more.

I'll give it a sit again in the morning and go from there. We are in the throes of a Huge snow event so I can experiment tomorrow.

Thanks,
Rob

Current:
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds good--a comfortable stance for you as the rider is what it important. This varies rider to rider as we all differ in terms of leg length, height etc.
I know what you mean about the snow----we have 24" here in Joooisey and another 24 hours to go according to the forecasters.
Keep warm and keep safe!

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Sounds good--a comfortable stance for you as the rider is what it important. This varies rider to rider as we all differ in terms of leg length, height etc.
I know what you mean about the snow----we have 24" here in Joooisey and another 24 hours to go according to the forecasters.
Keep warm and keep safe!

T Man,
Wow, 24"...? We only had about 8-10" of accumulation of light. fluffy snow but then 3" of SLEET...! That stuff is just ridiculous to try to move.

So on the Triumph front I checked the position one more time, painted the pegs and I'll bolt them up tomorrow. Gonna be a long Winter, this rig will be all nice and shiny by Spring. smile

Be Well,
Rob

Current:
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Just got back to the Trident... Been working on the Bonneville grin and moving snow. frown

All good now.

Current:

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com