Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gary Caines, Magnetoman), 21 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
In my experience, the colour / color coding does vary, particularly after 40+ years of various owners modifying to suit.

Black: 1st - 4th & reverse
Black: handbrake
Black: overdrive (where fitted)
Black: PTO (where fitted)
Red: high ratio 2wd - low ratio 4wd
Yellow: 2wd - 4wd

On THAT picture it would appear that green is probably overdrive. Although green can be winch

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Richrd
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY LOST GAS TANK?

Warn Industries doesn't make gas tanks.

Bill B...

Boomer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Now that I am about in the middle of my 7th decade, I find that I am less bothered by stuff than I used to be.

You want to self identify as a Poodle? Fine with me, just don't poop on my lawn or try to hump my leg. Whatever. You think I need a haircut? Thats your problem dude, I don't even waste energy telling such people to FO, as I did in my early 20s. You wanna be a [***]? Fine, whatever, just leave me out of it. Ask what kind of Harley my M20 is? Sorry you are dumb. Can't fix that for you, so move along now.

On the other hand, somethings really light me up: Don't put the shopping cart back? You are dead to me. Dead I say.

I could rant on for hours, being as I am trying to rock being a cranky old guy.

2 members like this: kevin, wadeschields
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
How about old ladies that stop and block the middle of a store's entrance or exit door to check messages on their cell phones?

For those who live in snow country, how about that idiot in a hurry, following ten feet from your rear bumper on a slick, snow-coated road, who was too stupid to leave home a bit earlier to compensate for the snowfall?

Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
You guys did good. Somehow.

The tank was delivered yesterday

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
HOORAY!

Glad that's done then...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Zimm

I've got good reason for being cranky. Cleaned out my mother's attic, and hidden in a cabinet in the back was a Rembrandt and a Stradivarius!!

I took them to Antiques Roadshow; they weren't interested. Said that Stradivarius couldn't paint worth a toot, and Rembrandt made crap violins ...

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Zimm
On the other hand, somethings really light me up: Don't put the shopping cart back? You are dead to me. Dead I say.

lol

these conversations always amuse me. there is exaclty zero justification for not returning a shopping cart to th ereturn area so that employees don't have to walk all over the lot compensating for someone's laziness. and yet, some peopl eactually are willing to argue about the matter,.

there is nothing that reveals a shallowness of c haracter more clearly than when someone is willing to sell out their ethics for something so trivial.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I know what you mean, Kevin, but things are not always what they seem on the surface.
I always push my used shopping cart back to the cart storage place.
However--- I dont criticize those that don't.
Why not?
Because our local supermarket has a policy of employing as many disabled workers (mentally and/or physically disabled) as possible,.
The employees collecting carts and returning them to the cart storage place are almost always mentally disabled.
So the way I reckon it--- I don't mind paying a few more cents here and there on my purchases if it means that these people have a job---which they would otherwise probably not have.
Just my two cents worth of course.

DOPE
DOPE
were the people who abandon their carts in the middle of the parking lot doing it to provide jobs for the unfortunate, i would heartily agree with you, richard.

but in fact, i doubt whether they have a thought in their heads about it, as indicated by the many conversations that the "cart narcs" have published on youtube.

i've watched wayward shopping carts traverse my local lots at 20 to 25 mph under high winds, smashing their way into whatever was in front of them across the property. wouldn't happen if they were corralled in the return racks.

but it's not a subject i have any investment in. i always return my carts to the central pickup point, flush public toilets, drop my trash in receptacles, and in general try not to be a public burden in both small and larger matters. people that think otherwise-- for reasons other than the one you point out-- are not the sorts of people i choose to expend any thoughts about.

not to worry either way.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
knuckle head
knuckle head
You could argue fetching stray carts is a job for someone that may not have the talent to do anything else.Like Kevin, i also try not be be a public liability.

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Life member
Life member
I return em too. But I wish the stores would provide a corral at the far reaches of the lot. I have heard some store employees claim they enjoy retrieving carts. Gets them outdoors and away from others for a while. But in bad weather it's another story. Often see the smallest girls that work there trying to (wo)manhandle a long train back. Never heard one complain though

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
We really do have some First World problems, don't we? facepalm

Haven't run across the shopping cart thing for a year or so, me. I've quit going to the supermarket chains; just the small local shops now for us. No carts needed.

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I've not done "proper" supermarket shopping for years - if not decades - it's wimmin's work (!)

Pre-virus, I would occasionally visit supermarkets for beer, also for red wine and sometimes for spirits. There are rules:

Only visit when others are likely to be elsewhere.
Avoid parking near to another vehicle
Ensure good knowledge of the location
Don't get distracted.

Internet shopping rules, KO.

Last edited by Dibnah; 01/21/21 5:04 pm. Reason: Spellking
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I just found another reason to rant!

Most vendors must be using some kind of automated software to keep track of who gets what sent to where. That's fine.

However...I HATE getting an email saying my part has shipped, and here is your tracking number. I try to be patient, and give them at least a day before I look for the projected delivery date. And, without fail, I find my package is still sitting on a table somewhere, and whenever we get time we might drop it at the shippers. That means my package HAS NOT SHIPPED!
I think our government has moved into the shipping business. They tell you one thing, that means nothing, and then when they get around to it, they may or may not do what they already said they did.

OK, I'm done for now.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I ordered a gift for my wife. It went from Florida to Cincinnati in one day and then it bounced around Cincinnati for another six days, this was USPS

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
It is all about soft wear.
If transport companies spend more on getting better staff and less of electronic gismos, they system would run a lot better.
In 30 years I am yet to find any one who really wanted to know where there delivery was at this exact second.
All they want to know is when it will arrive, hopefully no more than +/- a day .
But shinny bums with small minds find this fascinating.
The inital "your order has shipped" is triggered by the driver scanning the package into the system or it transport parlance , being Up Loaded .
From there on in it can and usually does pass through multiple depots but only leaves the depot if there is space on the truck &/or the truck has a viable load.
What you don't know is how many other deliveries are sitting on the dock.
yours could be the only one thus will wait till there is a minimum load of 2 ton or there could be 20 ton on the dock and they can only ship 5 ton a day.
Then there is priority freight like medical supplies, perishables etc that will push your order sideways.

Covid is making this even worse as there are fewer flights so more road freight and lockdowns & shutdows are slowing them.
My last shipment from the US sat at the airport for 5 days waiting for a light.
got to Toyoko & was trans shipped the same day.
Arrived in Sydney on the 23rd Dec and sat there till Feb 2 before being sent to me.

And of course Covid has caused a lot more on line shopping.
Down here the volume has increased by a factor of 20 .
Now there is a limit to the number of packages than can be processed in any day.
The Fedex Jumbo used to land Sydney around 11 pm, off load the freight Sydney and all regions north to New Guinea then hopefully get airbourne before the cerfew and on down the Melbourne.That freght will rarely be finished being sorted by 6 am when the Toyoko jumbo arrives

Bike Beesa
Trevor
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
If I'm going to complain, I really should compliment, too. I have recently dealt with three companies that deserve my thanks.
I needed new tires. Revzilla had them to me in three days. Not bad from Pa to NC.
Two forum sponsors. First, Lowbrow Customs sent out my clutch springs and fork oil from NE Ohio. Two days to my door . Thanks guys!
Last, but not least, The Bonneville Shop had a center stand, and got it to me in four days from Colorado. My thanks there, too.
The common denominator here? They all used shippers who do not work for the government. Oh yeah, their tracking numbers were spot on, too.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
My current issue is with UPS rather than USPS. I sold an engine to a guy in Colorado. UPS delivered it on time, but must have dropped it because they broke one of the engine covers. Might not have been that big a deal if it was a Triumph or a BSA because there are plenty of covers around. This was for a Parilla 250 and there are no commercial dealers of Parilla parts. My main issue is that navigating UPS's website or its automated telephone customer service to make a claim for damage is not at all easy. Under UPS's system, I have to make the claim because I am the shipper. I have located another cover for the purchaser, but it is in Germany and it isn't cheap. I know it isn't really my fault or liability, but I feel bad for the guy and keep thinking that if I had made the box a bit stronger, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Of course, then shipping would have been more expensive, which we were trying to keep low.

Ed from NJ

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Ed
Good luck getting ups to pay anything. There standard answer is improper packaging.

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by bill50cal
Ed
Good luck getting ups to pay anything. There standard answer is improper packaging.

And for the most part, they are probably 99.9% correct.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I am not sure i would say 99% but i knew a guy that was shipping gun barrels back and forth and packed them in pvc pipe with screw on end caps. they still got damaged and ups still claimed it was improper packaging.

Originally Posted by rick e.
Ed

Last edited by bill50cal; 02/08/21 11:46 pm.

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I am not sure i would 99% but i knew a guy that was shipped gun barrels back and forth and packed them in pvc pipe with screw on end caps. Ine still god damage and ups still claimed it was improper packaging.

Originally Posted by rick e.
Ed

Not always.
I got UPS to grudgingly pay for $2000.00 worth of Piper aircraft lift struts that they damaged in shipment. They were packed in heavy cardboard tubes, marked "FRAGILE" everywhere and had broken "Shock Watch" type capsules on the packaging. They were both broken indicating excess of 10G forces. I heard them clang from the back of the shop as they hit the floor. They were unpacked, inspected and damage found in the driver's presence. UPS did finally pay but took their absolute sweet time about it.

The lesson? Use "Shockwatch" type G detectors on your packaging if the costs of shipping damage are unacceptable.

PS: Our UPS driver absolutely hated me from then on.

knuckle head
knuckle head
Best way to ship bulky items is to provide hand holds on the packaging.On a large box it can be just reinforced hand hold cut outs ....
Not defending UPS but the drivers have tight schedules, must deal with the same assholes in traffic you all complain about, and the slightest rules infractions mean time off....

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Not defending UPS but the drivers have tight schedules, must deal with the same assholes in traffic you all complain about, and the slightest rules infractions mean time off....

All the more reason for them to take just a little extra care, ESPECIALLY with packages clearly marked "FRAGILE"!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com