Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 61
DavidP 57
kevin 53
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Lannis 20
Newest Members
BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland, Daideo, kenjon
12,210 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hugh Jörgen, Guy, Shane in Oz), 17 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,535
Posts776,186
Members12,210
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#837009 01/17/21 4:25 am
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
[size:11pt][/size] I've got my '71 Rocket 3 running pretty nice now. I've installed a Tri-Spark ignition system & coils, and it fires right up after tickling all 3 carbs but dies after a few seconds, starved for fuel. Once it warms up there's no problem starting it.
Is this a problem on these bikes? I have a '70 Bonneville that fires right up and keeps running no problem. (My first triple)
I'm hoping it will improve after I get my new intake rubbers installed.
Thanks

British motorcycles on eBay
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Once it fires, keep the revs up higher for a few seconds.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by jerseytiger
Is this a problem on these bikes?
It's how things are, not a "problem". It changes with ambient temperature, on a very hot day I can start my Trident by tickling it and it runs fine. On cooler days it'll need choke, on a really cold day, like in winter, it will need choke for some time. When I grew up most cars were like that too, you needed to learn how to operate the choke. Later automatic chokes became the norm, and these days with electronic engine management systems, it's all taken care of for you. What all these systems have in common though, is that they provide the richer mixture needed to start combustion in a cold cylinder.
To me, it sounds like your Trident is set up pretty well. Install chokes and learn how to use them, and you'll be happy.
Let me guess: Your Bonnie is probably a bit on the rich side, pilot air screws probably somewhere around 1 to 1 1/4 turn out? It will lead to sooty plugs around town. It too will be happier with the air screws at around 1 1/2 turns out and fitted with chokes.

SR

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I've got my '71 Rocket 3 running pretty nice now. I've installed a Tri-Spark ignition system & coils, and it fires right up after tickling all 3 carbs but dies after a few seconds, starved for fuel. Once it warms up there's no problem starting it.

...And that's the reason carbs have chokes (or some form of enrichment system).

Is this a problem on these bikes? I have a '70 Bonneville that fires right up and keeps running no problem. (My first triple)

No, the problem is there are no 'chokes' fitted. An engine that starts and runs well from cold without enrichment is running too rich so it's your Bonneville that has the "problem".

However, you can keep the engine running by momentarily pressing the ticklers until the engine has warmed up.

1 member likes this: Allan G
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
However, you can keep the engine running by momentarily pressing the ticklers until the engine has warmed up.

That would surely be like one of those “whack a mole” games.

I agree though, always fit chokes.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Allan G
Originally Posted by L.A.B.

That would surely be like one of those “whack a mole” games.

smile

Operating two of the three ticklers (and then one once it has warmed a little) should keep it running and allow one hand to be kept holding the throttle.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi,

confused

On a T150, the tickover screw is accessible; turn it one way to increase the tickover 'til the engine's warm, turn it the other way when it is warm?

Regards,

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi,

confused

On a T150, the tickover screw is accessible; turn it one way to increase the tickover 'til the engine's warm, turn it the other way when it is warm?

Regards,

That's if the engine continues to run without "dying after a few seconds" from the 'weak' starting mixture.

J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks, I fully understand the operation of the choke circuit, it's a bit easier to work the ticklers on the Bonnie to keep it running. I like the "Whack a Mole" analogy on the triple.
I worked at a Honda Dealer as a kid and some people just couldn't get their bikes running when it was cold out. The Honda CB77s have little spring loaded doors on the choke slides because most people didn't know how to operate them and would foul the plugs.
I will probably install a set of chokes since I do ride thru the winter, as long as it's above 40.
Thanks

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1 with Stein Roger and LAB.
You need chokes when cold if your carburation is correct.
If you don't need chokes when cold your carburation is too rich.
HTH

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi,

confused

Regards,
I did this for many years with my '74, never had a problem.
I suppose the idle mixture was rich, I never bothered to play with it. But, now that you mention it the only time that beast would idle at 500rpm was when the air was cool, moist and dense.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I use a gum leaf....start the bike, insert gum leaf under tickover screw, get gear on [helmet, coat, gloves etc ]take out and throw away before you ride off.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by tridentt150v
I use a gum leaf....start the bike, insert gum leaf under tickover screw, get gear on [helmet, coat, gloves etc ]take out and throw away before you ride off.
When there are only pine needles available, in fact the ends of tickover screws and the bits they lean on turn out to be slightly rounded, sod to centre a pine needle between 'em ... eek

1 member likes this: tridentt150v
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
The advantages of colonial life....gum leaves and FA covid.
Use a $5 note triple folded? Credit cards are too thick.

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com