Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
makrph, vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby
11,840 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Magnetoman, Mike Quinn, bsawood), 30 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DOPE
DOPE
a 2012 international prostar tractor and an aluminum 48-foot flatbed trailer will weigh around 31,500 pounds. add the 47,000 pound coil and you're at 78,500 pounds under the legal limit of 80,000

[Linked Image from d330p0bveuoux1.cloudfront.net]

i drive straight trucks that are much heavier. a seven axle water bottle weighs 38,500 empty, and i can load 130 barrels of brine that weigh about 53,000 pounds. so im driving a unit that hasa gross weight of about 91,000 pounds.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
British motorcycles on eBay
knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by kevin
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
So the truckers do their own loading and unloading?
Or is that a question for the experts?

truckers in general?

or just motorcycles on pallets?

ive got some 800,000 or 900, 000 miles driving semi trucks, and another million or so in straight trucks. 48 states and canada.
On the construction sites I helped unload dozens of trucks of all types or told other workers to do it. If it was electrical equipment, electricians did the unloading unless the arrangements were made to use laborers...The driver was responsible for getting the load to the "tailgate". It was our responsibility to get it off the truck. This was the same no matter the trucking company and no matter if the load was hand carried or a crane was used. We usually assisted the driver to speed up the unloading.
I have a CDL B and at times drove a straight truck when the need came.....Shifting compound transmissions was fun but I don't like driving for more than a few hours.

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
DOPE
DOPE
jeez. i do it 12 to 13 hours per day. the water bottles have 18 speeds, which is really easy now that there is only one gearshift lever. every position of the lever has four ratios to pick from. i shift the lever and flip into the high or low side of the gearbox with my index finger, and into the high or low sub-splitter with my thumb. so one shift may involve three simultaneous gear changes inside the gearbox to keep track of. lots easier to do than it sounds.

construction sites are a special case. mostly my job was to just get in there somehow, amidst the mud and the vehicles and the chaos..

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
knuckle head
knuckle head
Does it have a clutch pedal?

DOPE
DOPE
it has a clutch but i dont use it much. thers so much inertia in the rotating assembly that you can float the transmission and then wiggle between gears before the motor knows what youre doing

not so much time on hills tho so the clutch is useful then

1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
knuckle head
knuckle head
I see a lot of new trucks have 12-16 speed semi auto trannys with no clutch. Taking road trip in the 50's with my parent the trucks all fell into a long line on the highway hills. Sweaty drivers in Mack B's rowing the gear levers trying to hustle 35 tons with 180 hp...
A Mack B, no fancy two hand shifting, driver not using the clutch.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Proper Land Rovers offer opportunities for confusing the levers.

[Linked Image from aulro.com]

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Never driven a Land-Rover, me.

I see 4 levers. I might guess gearchange, engage 4WD, and diff lock for 3 of them ... ?

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
i think the 3rd lever may be an overdrive ?

E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I haven't been following this thread, so I didn't see Lannis's suggestion that maybe I should run things for a while when the rant shifted to lawyers in congress. While I by no means endorse the notion that congress should solely be run by attorneys, I make the following observations:
1) A legal education provides an excellent basis for understanding the legal basis upon which this country was founded and on how it is supposed to operate. I didn't go to law school until I was 30 after working in the field in heavy construction. I remember that my reaction to the first year of law school was that I thought that all citizens should take those courses, particularly those holding public office; and,
2) There is a comparison to be made between the practice of law and the practice of engineering. Both disciplines teach you to break a problem into its discrete elements and to solve it by addressing those elements separately.
While I have indeed held public office, as well as offices in private organizations, I am temperamentally unsuited for leadership roles. Particularly as I get older. I am curmudgeonly and a bit lazy. I am much better as a member of the loyal opposition. Finally, these discussions put me in mind of two quotes that I think are attributed to Frank Rizzo and William f. Buckley that I may not cite perfectly, but in substance are: "A conservative is a liberal that has been mugged" and "a liberal is a conservative that has been arrested."

Ed from NJ

Good one. :-)
I also like this: "Middle age, when our broad minds and narrow waists swap attributes".

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
DOPE
DOPE
i dunno about that.

i've gone from an ignorant leftist in my youth to a more thoughtful leftist these days, and my 65th birthday was two days ago. my social and political values today are the same ones that i had when i was 18, but i understand them better.

i don't care what people call any system of government or social philosophy that prevents children from going to bed hungry. if hungry children are the price for whatever we have, then whatever we have isn't what i want.

knuckle head
knuckle head
As a young man I was a radical left anachist ...I thought ladies wearing berets are sexy..Over the years I moved right and now stand in the middle with a Libertarian tendency...
I do believe in compromise and right now in America there is none.. Both the right and left want 100 % of their idealogy. Itt never works out that way. You need to put in 100% and hope for 50%.....

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin
i don't care what people call any system of government or social philosophy that prevents children from going to bed hungry. if hungry children are the price for whatever we have, then whatever we have isn't what i want.

Government isn't what sends children to bed hungry, at least not in this country. Parents, and the choices they make, are the ones who send children to bed hungry. Government can't fix that problem. I know; I've helped enough children to know what the family issues are.

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Various different Landys feature various different levers in various different locations

High/low ratio
2WD / 4WD
1st - 4th
Overdrive
PTO

[Linked Image from nickslandrover.co.uk]

(and hand brake)

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Various different Landys feature various different levers in various different locations

High/low ratio
2WD / 4WD
1st - 4th
Overdrive
PTO

[Linked Image from nickslandrover.co.uk]

(and hand brake)

So in THAT picture, which one is which? Are they color coded?

Lannis

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
the black one is for radiator flap door the red one is fuel mixture the green one is prop pitch the yellow is throttle

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero

1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
They always said that LandRovers would really fly. Must be true!

Lannis

knuckle head
knuckle head
Jeeps up to around 1960 had the same number of levers for the same functions. Then the transfer case and front drive was combined into one lever...

DOPE
DOPE
i learned to drive in old MBs and CJs.

i guess they werent so old then

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Jeeps up to around 1960 had the same number of levers for the same functions. Then the transfer case and front drive was combined into one lever...

I owned the last model of the full size J10 pickup. A 1980, a real solid truck. Had Warn locking hubs... in retrospect, a bit of a pain, since if you're in a situation where you realize you want 4WD, it's usually very sloppy and mucky....

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Warn Industries, American manufacturing in Clackamas Oregon.

Bill B...

Boomer
Richrd Online Content OP
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY LOST GAS TANK?

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Richrd
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY LOST GAS TANK?
Never ask a question you already know the answer to!

IT'S WINTER TIME.

At least the discussion hasn't exceeded six degrees removal from the original topic; THEN you might have a reasonable complaint!

hee hee

Last edited by GrandPaul; 01/16/21 1:37 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by edunham
I think are attributed to Frank Rizzo and William f. Buckley that I may not cite perfectly, but in substance are: "A conservative is a liberal that has been mugged" and "a liberal is a conservative that has been arrested."

Ed from NJ

I'm willing to bet that Rizzo said the latter.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com