Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Kevin E
Kevin E
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 69
reverb 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 18
Newest Members
Sinner66, DucatiPete, mk31755, MAM, Jonez69
11,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (Blown Income, Lannis, Tribsauk, GeoffLLLL, raf940, Hugh Jörgen, Magnetoman, L.A.B., TinkererToo), 32 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,253
Posts757,990
Members11,977
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hello; this is something that I have always had been having; no matter pre unit or unit. I use DID final chains. Is that the chains last not so many kilometers? I do not think that would be a problem of the pinions due to in several cases I used new ones and new chain and this problem started somewhat soon.
With 530 and 520 chains.

Are your situation similar?

Thanks

Triumphs on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Yes, regular non-sealed chains don't last if you use the bike. I've used O-ring chains for the last 30 years, they last 10 times better.
My current choice is DID VX530 as it's narrow at some 23,3 mm if I remember correctly. Most others are 25 mm.
It has touched the seal cover plate on my Trident (twins don't have them), but not much and really no issue. I haven't adjusted it yet after over 8000 km. I've used it on twins as well.
Incidentally I use the same type of chain on my Daytona 900 but with less than 6000 km on it, it's too soon to judge.

Some people I know insist on boiling their chains in grease and that sort of thing. Better them than me.

SR

R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
...seems that the O ring chains are too wide for the twins. At least in the past. Also an old bike should have a chain with a removable link to perform services.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I have a DID VX3 chain on my Honda trail bike with a removable link. They come with both in the box. You just fit the O rings to the link. Its not as easy to close as a normal split link, but doable.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
I use two DID chains and get good wear out them, lubrication is critical, the old chain gets 6 cleans in paraffin/ kerosene, then boiled in chain lube,
the spray on stuff turns into grinding paste.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
1 member likes this: Hermit
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
...do you guys are saying that you do not adjust the chain in thousands of kilometers? and all that due to the O rings and cleaning the chain?

Hi Gavin; is that cleaning when you buy a new chain or you remove the chain and perform that every few hundreds of kilometers?

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
I swap chains when the chain in service looks tired it gets cleaned then lubed . This is easy maintenance,split the link, join old to fresh, pull round, make the link, clean old chain, lube , package for the next time. Each change takes place every 1,000 miles or so. I adjust tension about every second change.
Every time the old chain looks tired there is a fresh lubed chain ready. Boiled in lube does not splatter, bonus. If you ride in the rain expect to do this more often, if the roads are dry and you stay calm intervals may be larger.

Spray lube is a con.
The only other way chains last in shite conditions is to use a constant lube like a Scot oiler, these are great, but look ugly on some bikes.

I ride in the rain, it wrecks chains fast no matter if they are O ring or not.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 01/13/21 3:29 am.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Rain, what's that? We just did 239 days with out rain. Then supposedly it rained Dec. 12, but I did not see it. No rain since. Ah the desert southwest.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Im using the Motul chain grease that you rub on (the tube is like a toothpase tube with a brush on the end) during the summer. Every winter I clean and boil the chain (after maybe 2 or 3 thousand KM done in the summer). After 8000 KM I have maybe 8 mm stretch from new. I consider that half way to EOL. It's gotten to the point where I only really adjust when i change tyres.

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
...I use that Motul chain grease but I think that the problem could be other; do not know where to look though.
I let the chain adjusted with 1/2 inch of "play" (with the side stand). I do not squeeze the gears etc I engage the gears and proceed with the clutch very polite. I ride mostly in top gear due to I barely use the bike in town. Normally 115-120km/h constant speed for about an hour or 2 hours without stopping. Sometimes a bit faster but always in top gear and maintaining those speeds; not accelerating back and forth with the throttle so the chains would work normally but after few hundreds of km I need to adjust the final chain.
Yes, they are commuters so rain is a factor but I think that grease maintain the links pretty good.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
12 mm on center stand is way too tight. Should be around 18mm with the weight of rider on the bike. About 45 mm on centerstand.

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I’ve used the bog standard DID chains and find they don’t last long. The IWIS megalife chains are great and my A65 seldom has needed adjustment in 10,000 miles.

I’ve just bought the heavy duty DID chain for the oif. Only because my old supplier is no longer in business due to a bereavement .

The biggest problem with chains not lasting is them being too tightly adjusted in the first place. As the swing arm moves closer to the seat the chain tightens. You need a certain amount of play to allow for this. The heavier the load on the bike the more important this is to have a little more slack.

The other option is to align the sprocket centre (Mainshaft) . The swing arm spindle And the Rear wheel spindle then adjust the chain to suit at that point. Re attach the Shocks and with the load of extra slack fit a jockey wheel on the under side of the chain, mounted off the frame. (Like
Off road bikes have) this will keep the chain in perfect tension.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hi Big bars; I mentioned side stand not center stand and 1/2 is what is recommended with the bike in the side stand.

Never saw Iwis chains here but I will look for its.

Those skate board wheels or similar were popular a decade ago with the chopper guys in USA putting stretched rear frames.

I do not understand how a new bigger and powerful engine like new Bonnevilles that one version have more than 100HP are not in the need of constant adjustment.
So very possible as you say, is that most chains are just garbage.
O ring chains touch the chain cover for me.

L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by reverb
Hi Big bars; I mentioned side stand not center stand and 1/2 is what is recommended with the bike in the side stand.

Where are you getting that 1/2" information from?

T140 manuals and riders handbooks say 3/4" free movement with the machine "on its wheels" and the chain at its tightest point, or, 1 3/4" with the machine "on the stand" and the chain at its slackest point.

1 member likes this: Allan G
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
...may be is the primary chain that have the 1/2 I do not remember right now. With 1/2 and these final chains in few kilometers you have 3/4 anyway.
Observing new bikes included 125cc I see that the chains do not have any fluctuating movement but with my rigid frame one I have kind of oscillation adjusted or not adjusted.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com