Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
SteveM
SteveM
Austin, KY, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#836489 01/12/21 7:53 pm
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
What's your opinion of these mufflers for my '68 A65L?
Any good?
Thanx
SteveG

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Ragmanx #836508 01/12/21 10:01 pm
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I put a pair on my '66 Spitfire and I like them. They replaced a pair of Toga brand mufflers, one of which's chrome had lost its shine. The Emgos were being sold at a very attractive price by MAP. They fit nicely, sounded good, performance and jetting were unchanged. Some people complain that they are a bit loud, but I haven't found them to be overly so.

Ed from NJ

Ragmanx #836516 01/12/21 10:51 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
got em on mine chrome still good after about 9 years loud with raspy sound my pal says is somewhat 'angry'

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero

1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Ragmanx #836526 01/12/21 11:59 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Too loud IMO. Fine for sporting around town, but annoying on sustained cruising.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: Allan G
Ragmanx #836532 01/13/21 12:20 am
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I put them on my 68 A65T. They are a straight through mufflers, on the loud side but short of obnoxious. I'm happy with them.

Ragmanx #836539 01/13/21 12:39 am
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I grew up near a major state highway.

We could always tell when a BSA was coming, because the stock mufflers had a pleasant, deep sound to them.

Ragmanx #836564 01/13/21 7:17 am
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
Everyone seems to have there own opinion on EMGO mufflers

To me, the chrome is very nice and the shape is "close" but not perfect

Some say too loud, some say they sound nice

Nothing beats the original sound of a BSA with original mufflers as Irish Swede suggests

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Ragmanx #836591 01/13/21 5:24 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I understand what you mean about the appropriate sound. I'm not necessarily interested in LOUD but, as a safety matter, I do want idiotic drivers to know I'm there.

I have the original silencers. The chrome "might" be cleaned up, but the guts are rotten. Are those restorable?

Given our market choices, who makes silencers with a design closer to original BSA?

EMGO's replacement may not have the perfect shape, or sound, but they fit, and are relatively affordable. I had issues fitting the headers, but the EMGO's mounted with no issues. Thumbs up to sponsor The Bonneville Shop who provided mine and help us all keep these machines on the road.

Ragmanx #836601 01/13/21 7:40 pm
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Thanx for the responses.

I see that Feked has silencers that are claimed to be triple chrome plated, made in England, somewhat more expensive.

https://www.feked.com/bsa-a65-lightning-650cc-1966-silencer.html

Does anyone know about the quality, sound ect.?

Thank you
SteveG

Ragmanx #836611 01/13/21 9:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ragmanx
Thanx for the responses.

I see that Feked has silencers that are claimed to be triple chrome plated, made in England, somewhat more expensive.

https://www.feked.com/bsa-a65-lightning-650cc-1966-silencer.html

Does anyone know about the quality, sound ect.?

Thank you
SteveG

If they are anything like their down pipes then the steel will be as thin as paper and golden very quickly.

Have a search from “classic bike shop” to see if any Brituro ones are available. I’ve tried a few and these are the best I’ve used. Sadly brituro closed its doors over a year ago but their stock is still out there

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tracey Spear
I have the original silencers. The chrome "might" be cleaned up, but the guts are rotten. Are those restorable?

You’d need to get the chrome stripped off at a chromers and then look to see what you have left. Cut out anything that doesn’t look clean and solid and patch in from there.

Ragmanx #836642 01/14/21 1:14 am
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
Yep look for Brituro as Allan suggests

I might be able to get some Brituro mufflers here in the states if you are interested

I have a pair on my A65, pretty nice mufflers but are not cheap ($)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tracey Spear

Some plating shops will want to soak exhaust pipes, headers, mufflers for several weeks to a month to clean the inside so the parts do not contaminate their other tanks.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
Ragmanx #836872 01/15/21 10:42 pm
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I see that CBS might be able to get Brituro, I really like dealing with CBS and buy from them. But I had already ordered from Feked.

I emailed Feked and asked who makes the silencers that I bought from them.
Here's part of the answer I received;

"We make the silencers here ourselves on site,
I can see the fab shop from my desk"

So as soon as I receive them and try them out, I will post my opinion.

Thank you,
SteveG

Ragmanx #837517 01/21/21 12:37 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I have been trying to figure out how to show folks the sound difference between the factory silencers and Emgo replacements. it is not just they are louder, there is a different tone that is more fatiguing to the ears. I recently sold a 71 Thunderbolt with the old exhaust from my 68 and put Emgos on my 68, and I regret the decision. the difference in sound is very easy to hear but hard to describe. (the vidios are not of my bikes, fast forward to the point where they start the bike and listen to the idle sound)

I went online and found these two videos that illustrate the difference very clearly, they are best heard through headphones

Factory exhaust

Emgo

1968 Thunderbolt Bitsa
Ragmanx #837530 01/21/21 2:33 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Its a little like comparing apples and pears i hate to say, as BSA did different levels of baffling whether it be a spitfire or anyother. I beleive the spitfire was less restrictive and probably more like the emgo. The T's and L's would have had more restrictive silencers but they would have met the MIRA testing needs and needed to have been quieter. (they probably also used them on spitfires for the test)

By some point in the 70's the noise regs got tougher and they started the first use of the megaphone silencer on the A65. prior to the OIF

Ragmanx #837542 01/21/21 4:09 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Actually i was comparing Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt as the Amgo A65 mufflers are supposed to be a direct replacement for them. Both bikes had the same engine in them with different silencers. If you are looking for the original sound of a Lightning or Thunderbolt, Emgo is probably not going to get you there, although they do fit and look real nice.

Ragmanx I will be very interested in how your Feked Silencers work out for you.

Last edited by Thunderlizard; 01/21/21 4:30 pm.

1968 Thunderbolt Bitsa
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Thunderlizard
I have been trying to figure out how to show folks the sound difference between the factory silencers and Emgo replacements. it is not just they are louder, there is a different tone that is more fatiguing to the ears. I recently sold a 71 Thunderbolt with the old exhaust from my 68 and put Emgos on my 68, and I regret the decision. the difference in sound is very easy to hear but hard to describe. (the vidios are not of my bikes, fast forward to the point where they start the bike and listen to the idle sound)

I went online and found these two videos that illustrate the difference very clearly, they are best heard through headphones

factory exhaust

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=BSA+thunderbolt&&view=detail&mid=BC03F57ADDB0A0B3282DBC03F57ADDB0A0B3282D&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbsa%2Bthunderbolt%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Emgo

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bsa+thunderbolt&&view=detail&mid=8D03663F5B2A37EB296B8D03663F5B2A37EB296B&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbsa%2Bthunderbolt%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Clearly there is a sound/tone difference, but that could be somewhat as a result of different microphone equipment. A db meter would give the difference in the sound level. I have done multiple db meter videos with different mufflers on my Ford Raptor in an effort to make it quieter. The testing was done at specific RPM levels and speeds, exterior and interior with the db meter at the same location and distance for each test.

1967 BSA Wasp
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Actually i was comparing thunderbolt to thunderbolt

Im not taking that away from you, hence why I said about the increased/different baffles on the touring models.

as the Amgo A65 mufflers are supposed to be a direct replacement for them.

Sadly your comparing to a company that makes (or buys in from an external source) silencers for most classic bikes on the road. to make the 2 or 3 variations of pre oif silencer would be asking a lot, then you get a lot of people confused as to what the difference is.

They also make them in the cheapest way possible, a perforated tube which may or may not be wrapped in wadding. I used to make custom made stainless exhausts for cars, the parts we used were generic from the supplier we associated with and they were just the same. perforated tubes wrapped in wadding.

They are cheap to buy, and lets face it most vintage bike owners don't want to spend decent money on having something correct (if they did there wouldn't be so much tatt on the market), those owners also dont care in most cases what it sounds like. So for Emgo they compare the apearance and the fit to the originals, will it fit? yes... so it is a direct replacement as you don't need to change anything (in theory) for them to fit.

They are not crap silencers, they are very good silencers but made to a price.

You could buy the Armours silencers which sound lovely, but my god they are restrictive.. and for most people who would rather pay a little bit more and don't give a monkeys bottom about performance will have a very nice sounding bike. The set I bought that replaced my original exhausts fouled my kicker on the first use.... You wouldn't expect to have to space exhausts so they don't foul from a reputable supplier... so probably not a direct replacement.

The Brituros meet somewhere in the middle, they are a straight through perforated tube but they have 3 good sized dimples in that tube which is enough to apply some back pressure and reduce the bark noise like you get from the emgos. they are also the closest to the original apearance out of all 3 mentioned companies and got pretty good chrome also. They fit with the original bracketry and don't foul the kicker.

You pay your money you take your choice!

Ragmanx #837549 01/21/21 4:50 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I was simply trying to answer a question asked above and it went something about Emgo's being louder compared to what? I compared them to the the original 1968 Thunderbolt Mufflers and I provided examples to try to demonstrate the difference in sound I hear between them. to my ears they sound just like the audio in the videos I posted.

I never said Emgo's are Crap. I simply said if you are trying to get the sound of the original Thunderbolt or Lightning exhaust, Emgo is probably not going to get you there.

Last edited by Thunderlizard; 01/21/21 4:53 pm.

1968 Thunderbolt Bitsa
Allan G #837550 01/21/21 4:57 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
Its a little like comparing apples and pears i hate to say, as BSA did different levels of baffling whether it be a spitfire or anyother. I beleive the spitfire was less restrictive and probably more like the emgo. The T's and L's would have had more restrictive silencers but they would have met the MIRA testing needs and needed to have been quieter. (they probably also used them on spitfires for the test)

By some point in the 70's the noise regs got tougher and they started the first use of the megaphone silencer on the A65. prior to the OIF

BSA had three styles of mufflers. All three look the same on the exterior.

The Spitfire mufflers were straight thru inside with perforated tubing inside to hold the fiberglass packing in place. A broom handle can be pushed thru with no restriction. You can see thru with no restriction.

Another style was the interior with partial restriction. There were "V" shaped baffles alternating on each side of the interior partially blocking the flow of exhaust. A broom handle cannot be pushed thru. With a flashlight you can see thru with difficulty.

The other interior style muffler had baffles that on each side of the tubing that restricted flow even more. Cannot push a broom handle thru, and cannot see thru even with a flashlight.

At one time I tried to get photographs of the three interior styles, but the images never turned out usuable. Now with fiber optic cameras, like the what the doctor uses on me every three months, pushed up my nose and down my throat to the area near my voice box to check that the cancer they got rid of via chemo and radiation hasn't returned, interior images of the mufflers could be done. Probably a lot less uncomfortable process too.

1967 BSA Wasp
Ragmanx #837551 01/21/21 4:58 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I didn't say you did say they were crap, my summary of the product may have sounded like they were cheap rubbish, thats why I said "They are not crap silencers, they are very good silencers but made to a price".

But thats also why I said "Its a little like comparing apples and pears"

Ragmanx #837585 01/21/21 11:55 pm
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Interesting posts.
The mufflers made by Feked will arrive next week.
I will try to give my impressions as far as appearance, fit and sound.
SteveG

Ragmanx #838075 01/25/21 10:53 pm
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
The mufflers arrived from Feked today.
As promised, here are my observations before installation.

Old muffler-

Left pipe- Basically straight through, with mesh liner torn and flapping around. battery acid burns and road rash underneath.
Right pipe- Better all around condition, mesh liner, solid circular baffle 15" in from end of tailpipe. Chrome dull with age.

New mufflers-

Finish - Very good. Claimed 3 coats of chrome. Time will tell.
Shape- Close to original but not quite as bulbous.
Tail Pipe- 3/4" shorter and very slight less diameter.
Guts- mesh lined, perforated round baffle, about 15" in from end of tailpipe.

General opinion-

Pleased with appearance and fast delivery.
Like the tailpipe diameter that matches the diameter of the header pipe.
3/4" length is no big deal.
Like the perforated circular baffle that should calm down the irritating rasp of the old right muffler.

So far so good.
Will post the all important exhaust tone tomorrow after installation.

SteveG

Ragmanx #838686 01/31/21 10:15 pm
R
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Ok, Had a chance to install the mufflers from Feked on my "68 A65L.

They look real good and the tone is reserved.

Reminded me of the sound of the mufflers on a Lightening that was in the showroom of Cycle Fair dealership in Santa Paula, Calif. in 1968!

I am well pleased
Thanx to everyone the commented on this thread.

Steve G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com