Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
My 1966 Triumph T100 came in multiple boxes. I didn't dismantle it so I am having to rely on drawings and my own memory for guidance. I was watching a YouTube video showing the gear box dismantling of a 1966 T100 and he pulled out what looked like an O-ring or a seal and a small spacer on the kick start shaft prior to removing the kick start return spring plate.

I do not see this in any exploded view or parts diagram. Am I missing this?? I always wondered how they kept that shaft from leaking.

[Linked Image from ingramandfriends.com]

James In Sherman TX

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota
2000 Honda VFR800
1966 Triumph T100 in boxes
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
The later ones got an oil seal in the outer cover for the kick start. Around 1969 i think
but someone will probably know the actual day date and hour.

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
This seems to be something different than the 70s vintage seal. It is not shown in any drawing I can find. I cannot tell from the picture (a screen grab from the video) is the ring is a seal or an O-ring. There is no provision for an O-ring on the shaft itself.

James In Sherman TX

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota
2000 Honda VFR800
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
It is an owner modification. There was no seal or "O" ring in 1966. There was an "O" ring on the shift shaft. It could have been to act as a seal. It could also been used to keep the 57-1422 Kick Starter Sping Plate from jumping off the flats on the kick start quadrant. The parts get worn and the plate can pop off the quadrant.

1 member likes this: chainreaction
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by John Healy
It is an owner modification. There was no seal or "O" ring in 1966. There was an "O" ring on the shift shaft. It could have been to act as a seal. It could also been used to keep the 57-1422 Kick Starter Sping Plate from jumping off the flats on the kick start quadrant. The parts get worn and the plate can pop off the quadrant.

I like this explanation. I have replaced the o-ring in the shift shaft. I will consider this modification since I do have a bit of play in the shift shaft even with a renewal of the pawl retaining disk. It would be nice to have something to keep the spring retainer in place.

James In Sherman TX

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota
2000 Honda VFR800
1 member likes this: chainreaction
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
As I go through an engine rebuild during a restoration I'm adding o-rings everywhere I can. So many of these classic engines and gearboxes had no seals and the resulting oil leaks, which were allowable before the advent of oil-tight Japanese motorcycles, are now verboten. So places like rocker inspection caps, kick start shafts, 1" primary/gearbox inspection caps, all get o-rings. If there's no gap where an o-ring can be fitted, then I'm forced to modify the shaft or cover to accept one.

Just one of the places today's engine builder has to update the old parts to meet a specification that has never been spelled out, but is always expected.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
If I had a lathe I would cut a channel for an O-ring in the shift shaft. I am not sure how long it would hold up but it would be better than nothing.

I have another issue, on the other side of the out put side transmission and I am stuck for information. The book seems to show a protective chain guard that fits inside the case. It looks like a curved metal blade fitted around the front drive sprocket and is designed to protect the aluminum case. I did not find one in my bikes parts boxes and I do not know if this model came with one. I have not even seen these listed on eBay. I would hate to button it all up and not have installed this part.

James In Sherman TX

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota
2000 Honda VFR800
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
I have another issue, on the other side of the out put side transmission and I am stuck for information. The book seems to show a protective chain guard that fits inside the case. It looks like a curved metal blade fitted around the front drive sprocket and is designed to protect the aluminum case.
That part has confused a lot of people. That part is an option, added after the sale and available for off-road competition. I worked in the fourth largest Triumph dealership in the USA for 7 years and I think I've only seen 2 or 3 total. So it's no wonder they are not on Ebay. It's such a simple part I'm sure a lot of the total number in use were homemade.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I can see how this part would be useful as a case saver.

James In Sherman TX

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota
2000 Honda VFR800
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
They are easy to make. I just went to the hardware store and bought a piece of 1/8 by 3/4 steel. Hammer the correct curve, and drill a hole for a 1/4x20 bolt.
If you ever break a chain, you will be glad you made one.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com