Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ian C
Ian C
South Yorkshire, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DOPE
DOPE
i sometimes run open pipes on my morgo. my son told me

i know when youre coming home because i can hear you all the way down the canyon

nice to have the personal touch

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Funny, but when I'm riding at 2:30 I'm coming home, up the driveway and shut it off, my neighbors don't seem to mind.
They mind it more when I put on the Pistols and crank Problems. laugh

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Good to see the Pistols still having an impact after all these years! Malcolm McLaren was a genius.

The Pistols' popular ditty "God Save the Queen" should have been number one in the UK hit parade during the Queen's jubilee week in 1977, but the BBC thought otherwise frown

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I am not is favour of loud exhausts period all they do is annoy people and damage the ears of children .
However what is "loud"
My Loud is some one elses moderate
And what is noise?
again highly subjective
Noise is rought described an sounds that are annoying to the listener
I love the sound of a Burgess muffler on over run.
I hate a shotgun pipe that hurts my ears and rattles the plates when a bike passes 75 feet away or goes up the hill 250 feet away .
A neighbour that is a friend is worth the effort of apeasing if it can be done without too much inconvienance.
When I first moved out with Cheryl, we lived in a block of flats.
At that time I rode a Jawa Californian, not exactly what you would call a loud bike
But it would wake the baby 2 floor up so I coasted down when I came in & pushed it up the driveway when I left .
I have flat hearing so I can not focus my hearing thus I hear every convrsation at a resteurant or in the case of my bike, both of the tyres on the road, both valves the exhaust and the induction hiss . Ohers hear nothing but the exhaust .
Cheryl can not tollerate rapid increases in sound pressure.
She can handle very loud noises fine, but a sudden loud loise causes so much pain her eyes water .
We are all on this planet together
a little consideration to those around us goes a long way, even further when you ask the neighbour "is the sound still a problem?, I have done X,Y,Z to try & reduce your exposure to it .
They will usually appreciate they you are making some sort of an effort and become a little more tollerant because they know you are showing them some respect and making some sort of an effort.
We all like to ne taken notice of and we all hate to be ignored and th later tends to make us less tolerant .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
WADE .........me ? embellish ? i dont even know what that word means ? (actually i do, but it sure has been a laugh)

The bike is as loud as a 13hp 500 single side valve with a header pipe and a token gesture at a silencer can be.....but at 4am an Honda 50 would sound loud ya know

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Good to see the Pistols still having an impact after all these years! Malcolm McLaren was a genius.

The Pistols' popular ditty "God Save the Queen" should have been number one in the UK hit parade during the Queen's jubilee week in 1977, but the BBC thought otherwise frown

I loved their stunt in silver jubilee year 77 when they hired a river boat and cruised up past the house of Parlanet playing , you guessed it ...GOD SAVE THE QUEEN ...the facist regime , they made you a moron! (yep they got arrested) but the pubicity was epic

Did you know that Malcom McLaren is buried in the same UK bone orchard as Karl Marx ...( Moses Mordici Marx Levi ,) i dont think Karl was a Catholic with a name like that?

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Well Trevor ........perhaps Andre the Giant ( if he was still with us) could push a bike up my drive , i sure couldnt,

so lets gain a little perspective , as i have said it was an isolated random event ,

However you did say :

"a little consideration to those around us goes a long way, even further when you ask the neighbour "is the sound still a problem?, I have done X,Y,Z to try & reduce your exposure to it .
They will usually appreciate they you are making some sort of an effort and become a little more tollerant because they know you are showing them some respect and making some sort of an effort."

do you mean the way i often requested (my previous neighbors in that house) to stop their dog barking outside my bedroom window damm near every night at 2am? And yes my request was ignored

or i asked another neighbor not to randomly let off fireworks when he was pissed at a similar time in the middle of the week? that also was ignored

so if i want to take my road legal bike out once in 10 years for an early morning ride guess what?

DOPE
DOPE
as an aside, i purpose live out in the sticks specifically so i do not have neighbors. at the time i found th eplace i was a commercial beekeeper, and you do NOT want neighbors if youre doing that.

so now the closest neighbor to me that i can see is a few ridges away, about two miles. ive got two others only threequarters of a mile off, but they're over two ridges and might as well be on mars

this solves all my noise problems with no action from me, and is a solution i recommend to anybody planning to run loud motorcycles at hours convenient only to them

of course, when the road to town is two feet deep in snow, i'm screwed until it thaws, but overall its worth it.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The one time loud pipes really annoy me is on beautiful days when I'm working on my bike and they're out riding. laughing

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by DavidP
The one time loud pipes really annoy me is on beautiful days when I'm working on my bike and they're out riding. laughing

Buy another bike, this will increase the likelihood of an operational bike being available when required.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Buy another bike, this will increase the likelihood of an operational bike being available when required.
This theory has proven false.

Maybe it requires reaching a tipping point, but not necessarily so (depending on all other personal circumstances)

When I reached a peak of 55 bikes, the percentage of running/rideable bikes was LOWER than when I was at 20 bikes.

After over 20 years, I am at a low of 13 bikes now, with much higher percentage of ready-to-ride bikes.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Grand:

I recon you are right on that one

I know this guy who has something like 80 ........NONE of them even go ....couple of years back he has a huge flood and all the bikes were at least partially underwater ....we all know what silt will do eh

Fool should have just had an auction so at least some of them could be saved , but no he simply refuses to let any go ...his call i guess but his health isnt good so its going to be one huge headache for his family

I only have 3 but at least those are all runners and road legal

I've decided 3 is to many so might reluctantly let one go ....just running down on the mental an physical energy these days

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
Well Trevor ........perhaps Andre the Giant ( if he was still with us) could push a bike up my drive , i sure couldnt,

so lets gain a little perspective , as i have said it was an isolated random event ,

However you did say :

"a little consideration to those around us goes a long way, even further when you ask the neighbour "is the sound still a problem?, I have done X,Y,Z to try & reduce your exposure to it .
They will usually appreciate they you are making some sort of an effort and become a little more tollerant because they know you are showing them some respect and making some sort of an effort."

do you mean the way i often requested (my previous neighbors in that house) to stop their dog barking outside my bedroom window damm near every night at 2am? And yes my request was ignored

or i asked another neighbor not to randomly let off fireworks when he was pissed at a similar time in the middle of the week? that also was ignored

so if i want to take my road legal bike out once in 10 years for an early morning ride guess what?

And it was being ignored that probably pissed you off more than the event.
More than once I have asked a neighbour if the new whatever is less annoying than what I was doing before.
Usually they agreed it was and there was never another complaint.
and on more than one occasion I had not changed a thing, but they thought I was and that made the difference.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Some years ago I attended a bike rally where everyone was tenting in an open field. In the middle of the night, some joker decided to start up and rev the p*ss out of his very loud HD. I don't know if he was tuning or just playing, but the noise continued for some twenty minutes, despite complaints shouted from others' tents.

At roughly 6:30 am, those of us who were up all started our bikes and paraded past the offender's tent.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Some years ago I attended a bike rally where everyone was tenting in an open field. In the middle of the night, some joker decided to start up and rev the p*ss out of his very loud HD. I don't know if he was tuning or just playing, but the noise continued for some twenty minutes, despite complaints shouted from others' tents.

At roughly 6:30 am, those of us who were up all started our bikes and paraded past the offender's tent.

As an old rally camper myself, I have learned that if 100 people are camping in a campground or field, even if they are salt-of-the-earth Britbikers or Guzzisti, there will be one or two arsewipes who do exactly what you described; drunk, obnoxious, or malevolent, doesn't matter, the noise is the same.

OR there will be a really noisy group around a campfire that just won't go to bed.

So I've learned to sleep with little earplugs in. They have to be comfortable ones, not the ones connected by a cord I use on the road, but with those in, you can deal with the 1 in 100, or not have to go out and ask people who are having a good time (drunk or not) to please hold it down and go to bed ....

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Originally Posted by Ignoramus

However you did say :

And it was being ignored that probably pissed you off more than the event.
More than once I have asked a neighbour if the new whatever is less annoying than what I was doing before.
Usually they agreed it was and there was never another complaint.
and on more than one occasion I had not changed a thing, but they thought I was and that made the difference.

Actually Trevor the eventS plural pissed me off big time ,,,,,,,,barking dog 3 or 4 nights a week at 2am did tend to get a little tiresome!

at least the being ignored was while i was already awake , however they did NIL about keeping their mongrel dog inside at that time it was like **cking clockwork 2am barking time and it pissed me off plenty AND also other neighbors it went on for around 20 minutes ....now im a dog person but i wanted to poison it ( i didnt of course) ...the authorities did nothing either , i know of 3 other neighbors who also complained to the authorities....so how would YOU have handled that one?

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Most non-motorcyclists regard a noisy bike as a noisy bike, doesn't matter if it's a Harley or something interesting.

For me, all in-line fours should be fully silenced, with the exception of some Ford/Lotus/Fiat engines on 2x Webers/Dell'Ortos.

1 member likes this: Nick H
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Back in the day , after several request being ignored I would have made a recording of the dogs on my reel to reel deck.
Then duplicated so it played both forward & reverse .
Cut the tape , put auto reversing tabs on it , hooked the horn speaks up to the amp and played it back to their bedroom windows at the highest volume the speakers would take , all night , from dusk till dawn.
However most local councils over here are substantially anti dog so the instant 2 peple made a complaint, a control notice would be put on the owners
If they did not comply they would be summonsed and the dogs confiscated .

I have done this several times for noisy people , as late as 2005.
When they recognise their voices and in particular when they realise that you have every word on tape, the behaviour quickly gets moderated.
I did get a summons once but that got over ridden when I testified that the recording was made inside my own dwelling thus the conversations were by definition "public" so there were no breaches of privacy but I was warned that it was excessive noise to play it back.
The people packed up & left, particularly as they had said a lot of derogatory things about most of the neighbourhood .
The first time I did this was back in my uni days & some fellow students were having problems with a couple that got plastered almost every night then came home after the bar closed ( 11pm ) and had a stand up domestic till they finally passed out.
We set up the recorder to start playing at 9 am. The the couple had vacated the block by the time we got home.
Every one in the building thought it was Scot & Neville who had done it and they never paid for a beer for as long as they remained there.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
When it's all said and done, there's only so much noise that a low compression side-valve can make. Being comparatively low revving, the sound is in the low end of the frequency range that humans can hear, so it's far less noticeable than the much higher-pitched "mosquito" noise of a 2-stroke.

I remember a club run where the muffler fell off an M20. The rider was quite concerned about the noise, but it really wasn't much louder than an industrial motor with a pepper pot, or a ride-on mower.
An early post-War Australian manufacturer of a swing saws used barely muffled M20 engines. A gaggle of those cutting railway sleepers would have made a bit of a racket, but no worse than the little Villiers engine with open stub exhaust used on bigger chain saws of the day

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Trevor ..........councils here dont do a dam thing other than check if the barking dog is registered so they can get money !

Had one inconsiderate **tch who lived in a state house , where the rules are NO DOGS! .....the council , housing, authorities, SPCA noise control etc did nothing about her HUNTAWAY ....large energetic working dog .....that she kept chained up outside 24/7 naturally it went round the bend and barked at nothing incessantly

Best strategy i did find was get the owners landline number , have it on speed dial and every time their barking mongrel woke me i woke them ...of course i introduced myself as anonymous phone calls at 3am are cowardly

" your **cken dog wakes me ..i wake you i politely explained"

eventually they got the message after a Pacific Island fellow strode onto their place and thrashed the dog and offered them the same , a very generous offer i thought!

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Thrashing the Dog may have been a little out of order, after all it's hardly his fault. Thrashing the owners would have been a far better option.

I'm impressed this has been dragged out so far!

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by R Moulding
We're just getting started; IT'S WINTER!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker

"Ignoramus" must be an ESPECIALLY "inconsiderate" ignoramus, then ... laughing

He's considerate when it comes to M21 gearboxes though, so I'll put him to work and keep him out of trouble ... whistle

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
When it's all said and done, there's only so much noise that a low compression side-valve can make.

Been thinking the same. Having had a B33, I think it would actually sound a bit, limp...at least in my neighborhood. That coupled with a 'dim' bulb would certainly had me doubled over in hysterics...even at 5 am.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Lannis

"Ignoramus" must be an ESPECIALLY "inconsiderate" ignoramus, then ... laughing

He's considerate when it comes to M21 gearboxes though, so I'll put him to work and keep him out of trouble ... whistle

Lannis

well Lannis im told idol hands do the devils work

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com