Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ian C
Ian C
South Yorkshire, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Iggy, all it takes to be considerate is to consider others and operate your machine with the least amount of noise necessary to start it and ride off as expediently as reasonable.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by henryanthony
Iggy, all it takes to be considerate is to consider others and operate your machine with the least amount of noise necessary to start it and ride off as expediently as reasonable.
I was actually implying that in my reply, and not any sort of "retaliation".

Simply, don't give it a second thought. Fire it up and ride away as normal.

("normal" isn't revving the piss out of it and then blasting down a driveway)

Last edited by GrandPaul; 01/04/21 2:20 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When you took your BSA for a ride nobody complained, but maybe that was the problem, that nobody payed attention to you. So you came here for it.

71' 650 Tiger
78' T140
59' 650 Tiger
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Well Ignoramus, I'm with you on this one. I love late night runs on hot summer nights, especially under a bright moon. But to enjoy those open highways devoid of traffic, one must exit the neighborhood. Now we could have a conversation about the difference between loud and obnoxious when it comes to the sound of a motorcycle. But of course that's pretty subjective too. When you come home you might consider cutting the power at the top of the hill and coast on in, just to be nice. wink wink

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nothing like the sweet sound of a BSA single .... at any time of the day.... If they were drunk sleeping then Im sure it was easy enough to fall asleep again . With sweet dreams of flying or similar. You gave them a gift . They should thank you thumbsup

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by R Moulding
No, you are not! Firing your bike up and leaving your residence for a ride is not inconsiderate. Firing up your open pipe Hardley, leaving it lumbering over on the drive for an hour whilst you dress yourself up in your wanna be gang member outfit and fibreglass German army helmet and then nailing it in every gear as you leave is inconsiderate.

I was told a campfire tail at the Brass Monkey one year. Around 2AM some clever git fired up his brand new Hardly and proceeded to hold it on and off the rev limiter. No one knows how much longer he would have continued doing so as it soon chucked a leg out of bed. Motorcyclists and the vast majority of Harley Davidson owners are not the same thing.

Not ALL THAT long ago (15years?( I was at a bike run and some [***] turned up on some German bike and he was wearing one of those German helmets with a large SWASTIKAS (sp) on each side ..........now considering that the Germans spent 2 years trying to kill my old man , before handing that task over to the Japs I became incensed ......I told him rather bluntly "take that highly offensive helmet off or I will take it off for you " ...the other guys at the run were totaly behind me .......he left.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by 1971tr6
When you took your BSA for a ride nobody complained, but maybe that was the problem, that nobody payed attention to you. So you came here for it.

Nope I came here with it for a laugh and ive had one ......you know laugh hahahah ROFLMFAO that sort of thing

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Ignoramus lad, you're but an amateur at this lark, try getting out at 02.30 fire up the mighty M20, get a back fire out of it. Then as you roar up the road, set off a car alarm. THEN come back as ask your question..... wink

Tell you what you DID forget lad, your camera for the early morning shot of them wonderful NZ roads, and that my lad is unforgivable.... frown

Yes I admit my amateur status , but hey im trying to learn

One thing I have done in the past was if my neighbors had been particularly obnoxious ( they have long gone and taken their barking mongrel with them) I had noticed that the magnetic disturbance field generated by mag ignition (or what ever it is called ) is not conducive to TV watching ....their TV room was pretty much adjacent to my boundary ....i used the A10 for that "punishment " twin Mag must put out more forcefeild right? ....I could see their TV breaking up big time hahahah Right during the sports news which they loved.

eventually the figured cause and effect and became more considerate , so did i

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Noise is noise: some noise is better than others.
Neighbors are neighbors: none are better than some.
Swing low, sweet chariot: coming for to carry me home.
Hallie f*ckin looyah
Hand over that sack-o-snakes.

Sgt Barnes was no hero he was a fictional piece of sh*t. He got his in the end didn't he.
Hallie f*ckin looyah

Last edited by ricochetrider; 01/04/21 9:37 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
cant say i understand some of that post , American "English " is not a strong point of mine

However :
"Sgt Barnes was no hero he was a fictional piece of sh*t. He got his in the end didn't he.
Hallie f*ckin looyah"

I described him to a poster who asked who he was as an ANTI - Hero , an archetype

but yeah your tag line is totally on i recon

""It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Originally Posted by henryanthony
I was actually implying that in my reply, and not any sort of "retaliation".

Simply, don't give it a second thought. Fire it up and ride away as normal.

("normal" isn't revving the piss out of it and then blasting down a driveway)

well if you saw my driveway you would realize how absurd the "blasting down a driveway " is it is very steep and with the massively powerful brakes on an M20 anything other than a slow teeter isnt on

But if it ok with you I do have to open it up as far as it will go so the massive 13 HP will kick in to get back up

But hey thanks for the morality lesson , ive only been riding bikes for over 50 years so i guess i wouldnt know

Man some people do need to lighten up

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Man some people do need to lighten up[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. This is supposed to be the "Pub". The intention behind the original post ( correct me if I wrong ) seemed to be to encourage conversation, similar stories and maybe a little banter.

Perhaps the Holiday season has had an adverse effect. More riding required.

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T

1 member likes this: Aboatguy
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Now THAT'S funny! I know otherwise very reasonable and modest people, who, based on the way they rev their open V-twin drag pipes, really think that people react that way.

I don't like loud bikes, never have, have never owned one (at least that I know of, everybody's tolerance level is different) and I really dislike the negative effect that they have on all of us, via the impression that they leave on other people.

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
well if you saw my driveway you would realize how absurd the "blasting down a driveway " is it is very steep and with the massively powerful brakes on an M20 anything other than a slow teeter isnt on

But if it ok with you I do have to open it up as far as it will go so the massive 13 HP will kick in to get back up

But hey thanks for the morality lesson , ive only been riding bikes for over 50 years so i guess i wouldnt know

Wow, I DEFINITELY misunderstood YOU, and you definitely misunderstood ME!

I was inferring that you were well within your rights to drive up and down your private driveway as any other person is.

The fact that you are riding a motorcycle didn't figure into it.

At the same time, I was IMPLYING what I thought was the obvious, that you were NOT intentionally making as much noise as possible and "blasting" up and down.

Somehow, my comments were taken in the exact opposite manner as they were intended.

Funny how that works...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by GrandPaul

Wow, I DEFINITELY misunderstood YOU, and you definitely misunderstood ME!

I was inferring that you were well within your rights to drive up and down your private driveway as any other person is.

The fact that you are riding a motorcycle didn't figure into it.

At the same time, I was IMPLYING what I thought was the obvious, that you were NOT intentionally making as much noise as possible and "blasting" up and down.

Somehow, my comments were taken in the exact opposite manner as they were intended.

Funny how that works...

Its all good bro ....i started this thread for a laugh and have DEFO had one (actually several) ROFLMFAO!

that's the trouble with 2 dimensional interactions like this. miss understandings are very easy , so apologies for my stilted response ok, take that as an honor i dont often apologize , but there was a time in 97 i think i did?

I did refer to some clown in the area who does exactly that , blasting up and down a steep long hill on his Hardly Ableson ...like 6 times in a row with straight pipes at like 2am ....not me bro.

I was the first time ive ever taken the old M20 out in the dark in over 10 years of having it .....my drive is downhill and steep , it has a rock wall on each side , is narrow and has a green striip in the middle , even on the A65 which has reasonable brakes BLASTING down the drive wont work ,,,,,,well the blasting down would work but stopping for any hapless pedestrian or car might not ,,it turns 90 degrees to the road...so yeah real slow going down ....coming up is better , on the A65 i can (and do) lift the front wheel !

I mean DAG NAB IT this thread even devolved into a dispute over the military attitude of SGT BARNES! excellent humor! (Americanism included for cultural sensitivity)

lack of noise , M20 and expansion hot dog muffler cant be used in the same sentance........me being a compliant chap was going to fit an original muffler but due to the castigation of the guys in the club i refrained "leave it it sounds great" they said with one accord

SO HEY blame the Auckland Branch of the NZBSAOC for the noise , i was only doing what i was told !

so thanks to all the participants , particularly the detractors in this thread , its been an hoot!

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I

Couldn't agree more. This is supposed to be the "Pub". The intention behind the original post ( correct me if I wrong ) seemed to be to encourage conversation, similar stories and maybe a little banter.

Perhaps the Holiday season has had an adverse effect. More riding required.[/quote]

DAMM RIGHT ! see my previous comment

DOPE
DOPE
i think you are a stellar citizen

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C

1 member likes this: Ignoramus
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
No, you are not! Firing your bike up and leaving your residence for a ride is not inconsiderate. Firing up your open pipe Hardley, leaving it lumbering over on the drive for an hour whilst you dress yourself up in your wanna be gang member outfit and fibreglass German army helmet and then nailing it in every gear as you leave is inconsiderate.

I was told a campfire tail at the Brass Monkey one year. Around 2AM some clever git fired up his brand new Hardly and proceeded to hold it on and off the rev limiter. No one knows how much longer he would have continued doing so as it soon chucked a leg out of bed. Motorcyclists and the vast majority of Harley Davidson owners are not the same thing.

Not ALL THAT long ago (15years?( I was at a bike run and some [***] turned up on some German bike and he was wearing one of those German helmets with a large SWASTIKAS (sp) on each side ..........now considering that the Germans spent 2 years trying to kill my old man , before handing that task over to the Japs I became incensed ......I told him rather bluntly "take that highly offensive helmet off or I will take it off for you " ...the other guys at the run were totaly behind me .......he left.

Speaking of a laugh....you do know Johnny and Sid were mates and what they wore? Yet you choose that pic....?

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by rick e.

Speaking of a laugh....you do know Johnny and Sid were mates and what they wore? Yet you choose that pic....?

Well yeah but they werent mates at all Johnny Rotten ( Johannes Verfaulte in German, just thought I would add that piece of totally useless information ) couldn't stand Sid ......it was one of the factors that caused much disharmony in the "band" then Sid ( a heroine addict) got involved with that dreadful Nancy Surgeon (sp) woman .......when the band finally split 2 of them headed over to Rio and recorded a few songs with Ronnie Biggs ( the train robber on the run) ......Biggsy actually had a very good voice for a train robber!

On their first concert in the USA they went deliberately to where they would be the most disliked , The Longhorn Ballroom in Texas ...John opened the concert by announcing "all you cowboys are a bunch of faggots" .....that kind of set the tone!

But I digress .........Johnny is actually a very intelligent fellow and somewhat of a contemporary philosopher and , he has principles , he told them to shove it when he was offered a place in the Rock and Roll hall of Fame

John is currently in semi retirement so that he can look after his wife full time who has dementia , never judge a book by its cover

On my vinyl copy of Never Mind the Bollocks the song Pretty Vacant is almost unplayable due to over use!

"don't ask me to pretend cause im not all there , i don't pretend cause i don't care !"

Saw them Live in around 95? but unfortunately Sid was no longer with them due to being asleep in the dust of the earth at the time, TOP CONCERT ...REALY!

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Cyborg

hahhhah ROFLMFAO ! beyond funny bro .......top commentary !

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
you may want to be lumped in with the Harley-herd ,
who can say.

you cant really control how your neighbors think or feel about you .
Especially if they've already formed an opinion .

but for the price of a decent silencer ,
you could be The gentleman on the M20 .
and control how you feel about yourself .

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by quinten
you may want to be lumped in with the Harley-herd ,
who can say.

you cant really control how your neighbors think or feel about you .
Especially if they've already formed an opinion .

but for the price of a decent silencer ,
you could be The gentleman on the M20 .
and control how you feel about yourself .

Oh really ? so my self esteem can be altered by fitting a sound moderator to a motorcycle? don't tell the psychologists that or they will be out of business eh........besides as i have previously explained more than once i was going to do that but some of the guys in the local BSAOC said not to ........strangely enough i dont have too many self esteem issues , well none that could be fixed by bike tinwhare anyhow hahh

But thanks for the additional; laugh bro

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
An innocent and probably embellished story has turned into a kinda crazy conversation.... I'll bet your bike sounds great and if others agree , as they seem too, then be proud of it and let it shine....

Some of my bikes are medium loud and at least one or two are open pipe ... Im not changing any of them no matter what anyone else says or thinks of me.

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com