Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
DavidP 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 22
raf940 16
Newest Members
Salvador, tripp2727, Martin Raymond Emery, Sundance, BSANoob
12,323 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (NickL, gavin eisler, Magnetoman, raf940, desco, Gordon Gray, Lannis, C.B.S, Richard Kal), 20 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,635
Posts782,301
Members12,323
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I purchased a gas tank from a member and it was shipped from Vt. on 12-19. According to tracking, it arrived in Jersey City on 12-25.

SIX DAYS?

Ever since then the tracking site just says "in transit, arriving late"

I ask the local post office why they even bother with tracking numbers if there is no tracking information provided. They're answer is "well, we've been busy"

not only that but I hate winter and trying to get decent spares for Ducati singles is harder than brit stuff.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
a ducati
Another couple triumphs
and no Honda?
but another triumph
British motorcycles on eBay
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
I ordered an item from eBay on December 1st. The "tracking" (if you want to call it that) system said that the USPS took possession on December 4th in Huntington, WV, that it was "in transit" ....

.... and that's it. Been sitting somewhere for a month, the PO doesn't know where it is, and can't do anything about it. They're very busy, you know.

I can tell you one thing. UPS and FedEx get busy too BUT ... for heaven's sake, I ordered two cases of the canned dog food that my dog likes on Friday night - 30 pounds weight. The vendor handed it to FedEx on Saturday morning, and Sunday at 1:00 the truck pulls up to the house with the dog food. 36 hours from when I ordered it, without even asking for special handling.

Same price as at the local store, and FREE SHIPPING! If I tried to ship a 30 pound 2000 cu. in. package "overnight delivery", it would cost me $165.

I like the wool sweaters that the Aran Sweater Market in Ireland sells, I've got 6 of them and ordered two more last Monday. $35 shipping.

Ordered Monday, shipped out of Shannon on Tuesday, in Memphis on Thursday, and on my doorstep on Friday. From Ireland. For $35.

Somethin' ain't right.

Lannis

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I’ve had a guitar stuck in Customs since Thanksgiving. It’s a black hole. Can’t get any info. Six days? Nothing to complain about.

Who are the Brain Police?

68 B44 Victor
60 MGA
56 Chevy

Bob M.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I shipped a gift to UK. Took 4 weeks but did finally get delivered. Normally used to take a week. Ordered a book and it took two weeks longer to get it. These were not critical items so I don’t mind waiting. I have noticed complaining does not help.

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by henryanthony
I shipped a gift to UK. Took 4 weeks but did finally get delivered. Normally used to take a week. Ordered a book and it took two weeks longer to get it. These were not critical items so I don’t mind waiting. I have noticed complaining does not help.

I do notice that complaining to the carrier does not help at all.

Complaining HERE however, helps a great deal. Doesn't the package there any faster, but helps.

Lannis

Starting today, customers will be requred to unload the semis at the back of Wal-Mart, in addition to their self-checkout duties.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I sent a guy an NOS 2-barrel carb (to the Philippines) back in October and he still hasn't gotten it.

USPS tracking says "In Transit", also listing me tendering it to the Post office, and the package departing the US 2 days later...

I wonder if the USPS travels thru the Bermuda triangle on the way to the Philippines?

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sent two Priority flat rate boxes on Dec 18th. One to Kansas City and one to Hawaii from Oregon. The Hawaii one was delivered on the 21st, just checked tracking and the Kansas City one is supposed to be delivered today by 9PM. For some reason the appointed head of the USPS decided in October to curtail all overtime and dismantle sorting machines contributing to a slowdown of mail particularly in the middle of the country.

There is a link on the tracking site for tracking history that will show you all the stops the package has made. Mine arrived in KC on Dec 21st and is getting delivered today.

Bill B...

Boomer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Lannis;

regarding the Aran sweaters, about couple of years ago I wanted to buy 2 of them but they said that only by DHL or Fedex and that is a no no regarding customs here (these crappy companies have a "deal" with the customs plus other paperwork that they charge you so the amount is just way more than 100 Dollars per item)
May you send me couple of photos or phone took images of one of your sweaters? I still do not know if they are thick or not for Winter time.
You can send it to: [email protected]

Thanks

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I personally had a lens shipped to me, Priority Mail in late-mid December. It was supposed to be delivered on Dec 22. For days on end al th tracking said was, "arriving late, in transit to the next facility". Late. yesterday afternoon, I received and email saying it had arrived at the sorting facility in Harrisburg and was on en route to its destination- which I assume is my local Post Office. A c couple more tracking. notices overnight as it went from one place to another (or whatever) and by the time I woke up the lens was "out for delivery" and "to be delivered by 9:00 PM".

FINALLY thumbsup I bought this for a specific photography project which as it happens will have to e delayed while I [***] around the country attending to some "family matters". Maybe I'll carry the new glass along to get acquainted with it before I shoot anything critical.

Originally Posted by Boomer
. For some reason the appointed head of the USPS decided in October to curtail all overtime and dismantle sorting machines contributing to a slowdown of mail particularly in the middle of the country. Bill B...

Yes well the war is on against the USPS and that is absolute. The same person who sicced the dogs on the USPS also appointed people in every cabinet position who were the 100% antithesis of -and the enemy of- each agency they were appointed to oversee destroy.

I won't say anything further about that specifically to avoid the bullsh*t politics of the matter...

BUT I will say that I love the USPS and they have done a wonderful job over the course of my own lifetime. I'm sticking with them no matter what. Apparently I'm not alone:

"The Postal Service is very popular, especially with rural Americans. Surveys consistently find the Postal Service among the most popular government agencies, with 91% of Americans expressing approval in a March 2020 Pew poll (Pew Research Center 2020). A RAND poll conducted in May found the Postal Service was second only to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in public trust, with rural Americans, who tend to vote Republican, giving it especially high marks (Pollard and Davis 2020; Parker et al. 2018)."

this from a rather epic study of the USPS by EPI.org - the Economic Policy Institute. Read the full, exhaustively comprehensive report HERE

This report, titled & subtitled thusly, is from December 22, 2020 so the ink is still fresh on this one:

The War Against The Postal Service

Postal services should be expanded for the public good, not diminished by special interests

Last edited by ricochetrider; 01/04/21 8:48 pm.

Lesya Ukrainka:
“He who has not lived through a storm/does not know the price of strength.”

1 member likes this: Boomer
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Postal changes were started more than 4 years ago...

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
And with the losses it experiences, something has needed to be changed for a lot longer than 4 years.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Guys,

What they are not telling you is that Amazon is taking priority, due to the massive volume of packages entering the system daily and per the contracts, last mile delivery and all that good stuff. Ordering from Amazon has been going up the past few years, but this COVID crap has amped ordering up tenfold. The sheer volume is astounding and causing delays with Priority mail and regular ground rate packages. Plus, workers who call in sick have to be tested for the China virus and that takes them out of the force for an untold amount of days with all that entails.

Rich,

Yes, it is frustrating. I get frustrated every day when I check my Informed Delivery to see if the tank has arrived at your location but no dice. It will make it eventually.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
All in all, I have done ok with deliveries over the past year, but not without some delays.
And one of the biggest screw-ups was totally caused by me {and an autocorrect I didnt spot}
Got a lot of help from the USPS folks on that one!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My wife mailed a package from New Hampshire to my brothers house in California on Nov 28th. It cost $45.00 to mail it. It finally got there Saturday January 2nd mad By the tracking it went to San Francisco, sat there for 2 weeks and was then sent to St Louis mad mad. About three weeks in I filed a complaint through the USPS web site. I got an automated e mail response saying my complaint was received and that I would be contacted soon after. The next contact was an automated survey asking me how well my complaint had been handled, and would I be likely to ship with USPS again? I was quite frank with my answers. If Fed Ex and UPS can manage through all the covid nonsense (their excuse) why not the post office?

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
2.5 months for handlebars from WI... frown

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Life member
Life member
Correspondence posted Pittsburg December 9 arrived Darkest Derbyshire yesterday January 4.
2c

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The incestuous quasi-governmental relationship that the USPS has is the ROOT of the problem.

Either it IS or ISN'T a government agency.

Fort all intents and purposes, and all evidence pointing to the obvious, it is just another typical inefficient, bloated, government agency.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 01/05/21 2:55 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have seen service degradations as well.

Consider this: Both UPS and Fed Ex control their volumes, with excess being diverted to USPS. That, coupled with the huge increase in online shopping, has resulted in huge volume increases in package business for USPS. They did not anticipate this, did not increase resources, and are overwhelmed.

Regrettably, the notion that USPS is in financial trouble is something of a myth. They are forced to use a different accounting model than other Government departments which makes their results look bad. From a cash flow perspective, they are fine. Much of this appears to be an effort to privatize some or all of one of the few Fed operations that worked well.

When you consider whether the private sector can do things better, consider the massive amounts of money that defense contractors are paid to do work that was done by the troops in the past. Food service is contracted out, lots of supply is contracted out, painting the rocks is contracted out. All at big dollars when comparted to what a buck private cost in the past. How much was spent with Blackrock in Iraq, for example.

There really needs to be an adult conversation as to what services Government should provide and how they should be paid for. Trouble is, there are fefw if any adults in the room.

Last edited by Zimm; 01/05/21 3:40 pm.
2 members like this: ricochetrider, GrandPaul
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Zimm
There really needs to be an adult conversation as to what services Government should provide and how they should be paid for. Trouble is, there are few if any adults in the room.
Here, here!

Sadly, at the rate our government is morphing into the entrenched 2-party mob system, that day will never come without bloodshed on a massive scale.

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
There really needs to be an adult conversation as to what services Government should provide and how they should be paid for. Trouble is, there are few if any adults in the room.
Here, here!

Sadly, at the rate our government is morphing into the entrenched 2-party mob system, that day will never come without bloodshed on a massive scale.

Actually, a sort of entrenched Uniparty. Hard to tell the difference any more. thumbsdown

For me, all politics is local - I campaign for, and give to, the local county and state candidates that I support; I know my county supervisor, state delegate, my state senator, and my US congressman personally. You can't do anything about the rest of it; the old "social contract" is broken, so you have to do like Gandhi - if enough people ignore the dictatorial orders and unconstitutional laws of an illegitimate elite, they haven't got enough fixers to do anything about it, and things'll have to change. 2c

Looks like there ARE a few adults in the room from what I can see! thumbsup

Rant over; the Post Office has something for me that wouldn't fit into the box - maybe it's the item I ordered 2 months ago! wink

Lannis

1 member likes this: Roadwarrior
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by reverb
Hi Lannis;

regarding the Aran sweaters, about couple of years ago I wanted to buy 2 of them but they said that only by DHL or Fedex and that is a no no regarding customs here (these crappy companies have a "deal" with the customs plus other paperwork that they charge you so the amount is just way more than 100 Dollars per item)
May you send me couple of photos or phone took images of one of your sweaters? I still do not know if they are thick or not for Winter time.
You can send it to: [email protected]

Thanks

reverb -

A few close-up pics on the way via Email .... I also have some of their "v-neck" dress sweaters which are thinner, but these are the warm ones ...

Lannis

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
If you read the EPI report I linked you'll see that the post office is pretty heavily restricted by the federal government- the USPS cannot, by LAW operate in the same manner and with the same freedoms of private businesses. This began I believe in 2005 06 2006 (which would have been under Bush Jr administration).

There is no one reason and certainly no simple reason why the United Staes Postal Service has the problems it has. IF you REALLY want to know the WHOLE story READ THE STUDY REPORT from the Economic Policy Institute. IF you don't know who they are here's their own blurb explaining about them and what they do:

Economic Policy Institute’s mission is to inform and empower individuals to seek solutions that ensure broadly shared prosperity and opportunity.

About EPI. The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank created in 1986 to include the needs of low- and middle-income workers in economic policy discussions. EPI believes every working person deserves a good job with fair pay, affordable health care, and retirement security. To achieve this goal, EPI conducts research and analysis on the economic status of working America. EPI proposes public policies that protect and improve the economic conditions of low- and middle-income workers and assesses policies with respect to how they affect those workers.

It's always best to complain and talk smack from a position of knowledge than to just randomly b*tch & moan without any understanding of what you're complaining about. Read the link and inform yourselves.

EDIT Ok I'll make it easy on you. Except I'm cherry picking, RE: points mentioned above. IF you wish to fully inform YOURSELVES, (LOL who tf am I kidding)
READ the report.

I'll admit the report does mention the President's attacks on, and grievances with, the postal service. The report mentions the constant barrage of conservative measures to privatize and restrict the post office and to bolster private corporations against USPS success and its longstanding but degraded monopolies. While you may see this as some sort of liberal bias or partisan politics, the report simply states the facts of these matters and also supplies, not links to each act or court case but does name each instance of attack or degradation or attempts to privatize or bolster corporate competitiveness against the USPS. The report mentions the constant lobbying of private businesses such as FedEx and UPS - to name only major, household-name companies- against the USPS.

Call it what you want and like it or not- but these are the facts of the matter and these facts along with many many others things before and behind them constitute a large portion of the core of your complaints. The story of the fight against the USPS is a long and complex tale, and new chapters are added all the time.

Privatization is a long-standing goal of think tanks and corporations that stand to gain from weakening or dismantling the Postal Service.
While politics and ideology play a role in privatization efforts, the driving force is special interests—large corporations such as United Parcel Service, FedEx, and Pitney Bowes that seek to take advantage of the same network and scale economies as the Postal Service to capture an even larger share of the shipping and mail-processing markets without shouldering the Postal Service’s public service responsibilities. These corporations not only lobby Congress and the Postal Regulatory Commission but also exert an unusual amount of influence through industry advisory groups that operate behind closed doors.

The Postal Service is restricted in its ability to enter new markets, a restriction that benefits competitors but not consumers. In particular, the financial services industry has an interest in preventing the Postal Service from reviving postal banking, which would greatly benefit unbanked and underbanked communities that currently rely on high-cost payday lenders and other alternative financial services.

Meanwhile, the Postal Service is being hollowed out by outsourcing and constrained in its ability to compete in parcel delivery, with negative effects on consumers and workers. Laws designed to prevent government agencies from lowering labor standards by outsourcing to low-wage companies do not apply to bulk mailers and other companies that perform processing and transportation tasks that would otherwise be done by the Postal Service—and receive deep discounts in exchange. The Postal Service itself does not benefit from these “workshare” arrangements because the cost savings are fully passed on to the companies, many of which are competitive only because they pay low wages. The new postmaster general, Louis DeJoy, previously headed a logistics company that performed outsourced postal work and engaged in illegal anti-union activities

furthermore

Restrictions on what the Postal Service and its private-sector competitors can and cannot do have always been points of contention (Ryan 1999). The Postal Service lost its monopoly on express mail delivery in 1979 and has long competed with private companies in package delivery. These activities are circumscribed, with the Postal Service subjected to fluctuating weight and size limits on packages over the years, for example. FedEx, a pioneer in express air delivery, and UPS, which since its inception has focused on larger parcels, jealously guard against what they view as encroachment by the Postal Service.

Protecting private-sector companies against competition from the Postal Service is often treated as an end in itself, whether or not it serves a public purpose. In 1952, for example, Congress reduced the Postal Service’s package weight limit to 40 pounds in a futile effort to prop up a competing railroad-based delivery service (USPS 2020d). Generally, relaxing these limits has benefited consumers and companies relying on home delivery. When a four-pound weight limit was lifted in 1913 with the introduction of Parcel Post, Sears, Roebuck catalog orders increased fivefold within a year (USPS 2008b).

While competitors try to crack the postal monopoly, they resist Postal Service efforts to expand its competitive business. Former Postal Service Inspector General and Board Vice Chair David C. Williams, among others, has pointed out that the Postal Service could offer more services to offset the fixed cost of maintaining post offices and daily delivery (USPS OIG 2015b; HSGAC 2016; Brookings 2015b). Post offices, for example, could offer many printing and other services provided by FedEx Office and The UPS Store, and expand the use of parcel delivery lockers (USPS OIG 2013). Likewise, mail carriers could pick up and make deliveries from local stores, including groceries (Chandler 2014).

The bottom line is that historically the USPS is a much beloved and essential part of the fabric of American lives, especially in rural communities where common urban & suburban services such as UPS or other direct competitors don't exist. AS I posted yesterday, the USPS currently scores highly, and has ALWAYS scored extremely high points with all their customers, from all sides, across all political party lines.

Privatization of all things I have any experience with (parking authority, Water utilities, to name 2) ALWAYS means higher prices and lower grades of customer service and support.

Privatization means "profit over all else" and while that might not be too horrible as a GENERAL way to look at things, when it's life sustaining like water, or a long standing entity that offers a rock solid, universally loved service to ALL citizens no matter where they may live, then look at how F'd up things get when sheer profit is the only operational ethos.

I don't know about you guys but where I live we used to have a good number of local lumber yards, cabinet shops, electrical & plumbing supply places, and appliance & hardware stores. In one town I lived in, Carlisle PA, back when Lowes first opened their store, damn near every single builder or contractor in the whole area went running over there, these dumbasses turned their backs on the local, family owned & operated lumber yards and hardware stores who had served them faithfully for decades, for generations. It was as if they never existed.

BUT a few years in, once these same builders and contractors realized the products were all [email protected], the variety was very limited, and there was near zero customer service after the sale from Lowes (& Home Depot by then) it was too late because all the lumber yards and hardware stores and closed up shop. Most of the electrical s supply stores closed as did the plumbing supply places- only the biggest national chain suppliers remained. Almost all of the local appliance stores closed too. These @sh0les had the nerve to make a public outcry over the fact that all the services they USED to take for granted, the ones they turned their backs on- had closed!

Two major chain stores, Home Depot & Lowes wiped out all those services and all those jobs. Not only in Carlisle PA but all across our once-mighty Homeland. Who here LOVES these two stores?
The story is very similar with WalMart: Jobs and services lost, replaced by a faceless entity without heart.

The same thing is going to happen with the USPS IF A it gets privatized, or B if USPS goes away altogether & UPS & FedEx et al end up being our only services for mail delivery and shipping of small packages. Maybe not you 5 or 7 or 10 people, but a great many WILL indeed miss the USPS. SO let's not see anyone crying about UPS or FedEx if you live to see the day the government finally kills the Postal Service.

OK guys that's it, cry, p1ss, b*tch & moan in peace.
Have a fabulous day.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 01/05/21 6:05 pm.

Lesya Ukrainka:

1 member likes this: Zimm
knuckle head
knuckle head
When you consider whether the private sector can do things better, consider the massive amounts of money that defense contractors are paid to do work that was done by the troops in the past. Food service is contracted out, lots of supply is contracted out, painting the rocks is contracted out. All at big dollars when comparted to what a buck private cost in the past. How much was spent with Blackrock in Iraq, for example.
As an electrician I worked on gov't projects with private contractors. In every situation there were cost overuns due to constant and often unwarranted changes. It seemed like every gov't official wanted his say on the project...Some might call this corruption...

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
knuckle head
knuckle head
" Two major chain stores, Home Depot & Lowes wiped out all those services and all those jobs. Not only in Carlisle PA but all across our once-mighty Homeland. Who here LOVES these two stores?
The story is very similar with WalMart: Jobs and services lost, replaced by a faceless entity without heart."
The American consumer wiped out all jobs and services because,we, the consumer, are faceless enities who only shop for price...

61 hot rod A10, 89 Honda 650NT .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I have seen service degradations as well.

Consider this: Both UPS and Fed Ex control their volumes, with excess being diverted to USPS. That, coupled with the huge increase in online shopping, has resulted in huge volume increases in package business for USPS. They did not anticipate this, did not increase resources, and are overwhelmed.

Regrettably, the notion that USPS is in financial trouble is something of a myth. They are forced to use a different accounting model than other Government departments which makes their results look bad. From a cash flow perspective, they are fine. Much of this appears to be an effort to privatize some or all of one of the few Fed operations that worked well.

There really needs to be an adult conversation as to what services Government should provide and how they should be paid for. Trouble is, there are fefw if any adults in the room.

Thanks, ZImm, for being reasonably well informed.

Lesya Ukrainka:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com