Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
S
Hi All,
I’m removing the clutch from the primary and the washer, that I need to remove to be able to attack the clutch puller, is tight like #%*&
Tried brake cleaner, penetration catalyst, and finally heated the outer plate, but nothing.
Anyone with an idea/hack?
Thank you
Stefan

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Tried tapping with a flat face punch around the perifery to rock it off the surface?

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Stefan, Loctite when used on nut can hold the washer very strongly.

I know you used heat. How hot? I find hot enough to sizzle spit is what is needed with loctite. The washer is hardened. I tried to drill it, thinking I could use a wire hook or even tap it & use a screw with slide hammer.

Some have fabricated or found a puller such shape they used the spring studs & spring nuts & was able to pull clutch that way. I've not tried that.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi; I used the rotor to remove that washer; then sanded it a bit the edges to be microns smaller.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I always use two magnetic pickup probes to pull mine out, though I've never had one really tight as you describe.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I've used variants of all the suggestions above, and have been successful so far. The last trick in my toolbox would be to try and weld something to the washer.
As a related side note, I stripped the threads off of two pullers struggling with a clutch center once. When I finally got it off I saw that it had sheared the key and the subsequent rotation had friction welded it to the shaft.

SR

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1 :caused by excessive Loctite blue used on thread which migrates to washer.

It was about c1993 but am fairly sure I pulled on the 3 spring studs with a simple puller.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com