Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Beach
Beach
West Virginia, United States
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
the scene :

.4.30 am new years day morning, climatic conditions: dry and zero wind no ambient noise at all , graveyard quiet

My M20 only has one of those car "hot dog " expansion chambers and thus is not very stealthy...it could in fact wake the dead, I have told some of the guys at the club in looking for an original muffler , but they have rebuked me and told me the old dunga sounds great leave it ...whats a man to do.

I had woken up unreasonably early and was lying there annoyed that i was not sleeping the sleep of the just and i suddenly thought DANG and DAG NAB IT I think I will activate my M20 (it summer here BTW) The bike is road legal

on a still clear morning it sure did resonate , I hope it blessed my neighbors as much as their screaming brats and barking dogs bless me , Wouldn't you know it I have a long steep drive way with rock wall on either side so naturally it need full noise to make it to the top. (their bedroom is probably 10 meters away from my drive way) and they had been yelling and screaming until 2.30 am , i hope i dint disturb their alcohol fueled slumber

I thundered about the neighborhood for a bit then around the sea front .....Man you forget what those early morning rides are like with ZERO traffic , but man were there ever a lot of cop cars!

SO am I an inconsiderate IGNORAMUS?

Why did I do it , because i can !

Fact is all i did was take out a road legal vehicle.

COMMENTS chides and rebukes most welcome hahah ....Happy BSA new year all !

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
1 member likes this: kevin
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
DOPE
DOPE
i think you are a stellar citizen

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Since we already know that you are an "Ignoramus" (since that's your name), it only remains to know if you are "inconsiderate" or not.

I don't know the details of your relationship with your neighbor, including their tolerance level, propensity for vengeance, and means for carrying that out ... but I do know that just because something is "legal" doesn't mean that it's "a good idea".

Carry on.

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
With neighbors like that, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Go, ride.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
nah it wasnt about "vengeance " i embellished for dramatic effect they are actually pretty good

but it sure was something different at 4am

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Having lived in many urban neighborhoods in my 75 year journey, I revert to the age old platitude that "the only good neighbor is no neighbor"

Luck brought me to live out in the woods.

I am not in a position to advise you, but I lean to saying do whatever the hell you choose being aware of the repercussions.

I love your Sgt. Barnes quote! Who is (was) Sgt. Barnes.

Good luck,
SteveG

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Ragmanx

Good luck,
SteveG

You wouldn't like him. Although even sadistic monsters can come up with something good every once in a while ...

Lannis

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Ride on man!!!!

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I agree with Allan, this doesn’t belong here and would be more appropriate in the general chat of the R&T.
Perhaps ask your neighbours if the noise troubled them at 4am New Years Day morning? If it didn’t, no problems.
If it did, and you hope to keep them on your side, then maybe an apology.
My neighbours are much closer than yours, so I consider them with any disturbance I make (some are of course unavoidable).

A
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by koan58
I agree with Allan, this doesn’t belong here and would be more appropriate in the general chat of the R&T.
Perhaps ask your neighbours if the noise troubled them at 4am New Years Day morning? If it didn’t, no problems.
If it did, and you hope to keep them on your side, then maybe an apology.
My neighbours are much closer than yours, so I consider them with any disturbance I make (some are of course unavoidable).
Thanks Koan,

I removed my post since it did get moved (not sure by whom but that doesn’t matter). Thought I’d tag that in as I didn’t want it to seem like you were quoting a ghost.

If you have good neighbours I’d do what you can to keep them on side. My lightning is pretty loud and the walls and fence along the drive way make it sound like an echo chamber, hopefully my oif will be more quiet. I’m not too bothered when I’m on the open road, I just don’t want my neighbours thinking here’s that twit again.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I assume the sunrise is 6-ish in NZ?

Never liked riding with 6 volts in the dark...perhaps your bike is kitted better...if not, a dim bulb and a loud pipe would be an annoying ride for me in the dark.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
I removed my post since it did get moved (not sure by whom but that doesn’t matter

T'was I, since it seemed to be the popularly favored destination according to the posts.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

1 member likes this: Allan G
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Having lived in many urban neighborhoods in my 75 year journey, I revert to the age old platitude that "the only good neighbor is no neighbor"

Luck brought me to live out in the woods.

I am not in a position to advise you, but I lean to saying do whatever the hell you choose being aware of the repercussions.

Good luck,
SteveG

Barnes was the archetype anti hero in the film PLATOON best Nam film ever made .........you know gung ho type

some of his other quotes

"killing? what would yall know about killin yall experts"

"dont you tell me how to run MY war"

"yall smoke that *[***] to escape reality? me , i dont need that *hit i am reality

Lieutenant to Barnes " i think its important , at least infront of the men that I give the orders"

Barnes to Red ........."yall gotta die sometime red"

seriously if u get a chance to see that film it is well worth a watch it is a fascinating and realistic character study

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Lannis

Good luck,
SteveG

You wouldn't like him. Although even sadistic monsters can come up with something good every once in a while ...

Lannis

well " Barnes has been shot 7 times and he aint dead yet , does that tell ya something HUHH? " said when the heads were discussing fragging Barnes for killing Sgt Elias

yeah I know ive watched it too many times

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
The neighbors can always move. Ride On!!!!! & HAPPY NEW YEAR

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by rick e.
I assume the sunrise is 6-ish in NZ?

Never liked riding with 6 volts in the dark...perhaps your bike is kitted better...if not, a dim bulb and a loud pipe would be an annoying ride for me in the dark.

its worse than that , i put a 12 volt lamp into it in the hope it would be easier on the dyno windings (less resiatnce that 6v) hadnt tried it at night , but you know the old trick of putting your hand in front of the headlight to see if its going

didnt go far . 6/8 miles maybee .........lights were bright enough for cars to see me (not that they even look) and wasnt away from street lights

plenty of cops saw me and didnt even blink .......probably thought look at that stupid old fool on some ancient piece of junk , bet they checked rejo warrant on their system however

the things we do eh

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
Originally Posted by Lannis

Good luck,
SteveG

Lannis

well " Barnes has been shot 7 times and he aint dead yet , does that tell ya something HUHH? " said when the heads were discussing fragging Barnes for killing Sgt Elias

yeah I know ive watched it too many times

I know how you feel; I enjoy watching Boyd Crowder in action on "Justified" even though he's a lowlife ... he's a dedicated, focused, clever lowlife, and those qualities are hard to find even with high-life ...

Lannis ("You ever make a shot like that, Mr. Ranger Sniper?" "Well, generally I didn't have to shoot while wearing handcuffs" "Well, maybe I can TEACH you ...")

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

When quoting, get it right. With the internet, there is no excuse. Me and my real life war buddies are quite familiar with this movie and its many iconic quotes.

"Everybody gotta die sometime, Red."

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
When quoting, get it right. With the internet, there is no excuse. Me and my real life war buddies are quite familiar with this movie and its many iconic quotes.

The one that always gets me is everyone adding an "a" between "is" and "failure" in another iconic quote ... If you've heard it, you don't get it wrong!

Lannis

I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley

Pardon me Jon....... you are quite correct
no diss respect was intended ( i would never disrespect a man that served)

I was relying on my failing memory , good on you for posting that clip

I recon Tom Berringer (sp) should have got an Oscar for that preformce ...so should have Charie Sheen , it was his first major role before he went nuts latter in his career

I had a freind (well freinds bother) who died there , I was also on the way (Australia) but it ended before i was called.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Pardon me Jon....... you are quite correct
no diss respect was intended ( i would never disrespect a man that served)

I was relying on my failing memory , good on you for posting that clip

I had a friend (well friends brother) who died there , I was also on the way (Australia) but it ended before i was called.

No worries mate, it's all good.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Ig, if you have to ask you're surely feeling a twinge of guilt. Well there'll be no absolution here. It's widely known that we who commune with machines tend to be lacking in social graces; accept it and ride on.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
I
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Ig, if you have to ask you're surely feeling a twinge of guilt. Well there'll be no absolution here. It's widely known that we who commune with machines tend to be lacking in social graces; accept it and ride on.

NO Mark not even a twinge .........there is a comedian living around here somewhere that regularly opens up his Hardly Abelson up a long hill say 150 meters from my residence .............now THAT is a racket ........he has the straight through pipes .......the clown does it like 6 times in a row at around 2am ......one elderly curmudgeon who is less bike tolerant that I has mentioned things like planks of wood with nails in it .......I have dissuaded him as i know the consequences of getting a double flat whilst heading down hill to a sharp corner at probably 70mph.......somehow he pulls the piece of crap up to take the corner but with a double flat it would end badly!

THe youth is clearly a pinhead and one day i will track him down and have a neighborly chat with him

the moral of my story was that bike guys never really grow up

My M20 (try as it might) is [positively discrete compared to that refugee from the scrap yard!

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
No, you are not! Firing your bike up and leaving your residence for a ride is not inconsiderate. Firing up your open pipe Hardley, leaving it lumbering over on the drive for an hour whilst you dress yourself up in your wanna be gang member outfit and fibreglass German army helmet and then nailing it in every gear as you leave is inconsiderate.

I was told a campfire tail at the Brass Monkey one year. Around 2AM some clever git fired up his brand new Hardly and proceeded to hold it on and off the rev limiter. No one knows how much longer he would have continued doing so as it soon chucked a leg out of bed. Motorcyclists and the vast majority of Harley Davidson owners are not the same thing.

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Ignoramus lad, you're but an amateur at this lark, try getting out at 02.30 fire up the mighty M20, get a back fire out of it. Then as you roar up the road, set off a car alarm. THEN come back as ask your question..... wink

Tell you what you DID forget lad, your camera for the early morning shot of them wonderful NZ roads, and that my lad is unforgivable.... frown

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com