Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BrizzoBrit
BrizzoBrit
Brisbane, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Allan G 67
quinten 64
DavidP 57
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 24
Allan G 17
Newest Members
gwallis, Bruce B, GuzistaM33, MarginalMotors, PETEFORD
11,774 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (L.A.B., Dr. Z, Lannis), 44 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bry #834770 12/29/20 12:23 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I love seeing this work but it also makes me feel guilty about the lack of progress on my own '37 Special. So many projects, so little time....

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Alex #834810 12/29/20 3:11 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Alex
I love seeing this work but it also makes me feel guilty about the lack of progress on my own '37 Special. So many projects, so little time....
Hey, Alex, long time no see.

You still racing at all?

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Hey, Alex, long time no see.

You still racing at all?

Nope. Other priorities right now but I hope to be back playing in the dirt at least next year.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Bry #834853 12/29/20 11:04 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...I got the mudguards back from getting the powder coating removed. they were chemically stripped then soda blasted. There there is evidence of quite a bit of pitting corrosion and the thickness was reduced by corrosion around some of the bolt holes but they're certainly salvageable.

There were some minor dents that were worked out with a planishing hammer and dolly.

Filling the surplus and damaged holes required a bit of plating and welding. The method I used was to clean up the holes with a round file then using a step drill to open them up until they were round and removing the corroded feather edges. Discs of 1mm mild steel sheet were then punched out to match the hole diameters, then formed to match the curve of the mudguard profile. The discs were adjusted by minor filing and stretching by peening to be a press fit in the holes and supported by a copper backing strip clamped in place. After tacking they were TIG welded in place, this proved to be a bit of a challenge as the old corroded metal was "fizzing" due to the contaminates and wanting to blow through. Not the prettiest of welds as result but they are ground flush anyway.

Also, this was the first time I tried my new true colour welding mask, it's like someone turned the lights on (in a good way), I can highly recommend to anyone who does a bit of welding.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1937 Rudge Ulster (project)
1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
2 members like this: chainreaction, Hugh Jörgen
Bry #834873 12/30/20 2:45 am
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Did you make the dies for punching out the discs?

The newer masks are a blessing. So are cheater lenses. Thinks go a little better when one can actually see what’s going on.

Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Cyborg
Did you make the dies for punching out the discs?

No, it was purchased. Sold as a jewellers disc cutter for use with a hammer, but works well on 1mm ms sheet in a hydraulic press.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
1 member likes this: Cyborg
Bry #836025 01/08/21 10:35 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...some progress on assembling the rear mudguard, but the fit between the fixed and removable sections needs to be better. I will try a bit more bending and hammering but I may need to make a wooden buck to reform the edge of the fixed section.

I finally received the stainless steel hex bar stock that I order before xmas, so was able to get some more Fasteners made.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
1 member likes this: chainreaction
Bry #836331 01/11/21 4:45 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I had a look at those disc cutters. By the time shipping costs are added, I’m probably better off to just make one and can probably get away with just 1 or 2 sizes. Definitely makes sense to have something that can punch them out.
Fasteners look good. Wish I could get the British stuff. Needed to make a couple....the drawing calls for .710 and can only get .750 ..... although I likely shouldn’t be admitting that is a problem for me.

Last edited by Cyborg; 01/11/21 4:50 pm.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I had a look at those disc cutters.
Take a sheet of your patch metal to your local metalworker who has a Rotex punch. Ask him to punch some holes in it but to please collect up and save the discs for you. Our local guy looked at me funny until I explained they were to make synchro spring shims for a Jag Moss box. I had 4 different thicknesses that he punched and carefully collected up for me.

1 member likes this: Cyborg
Bry #836447 01/12/21 1:55 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ever heard of a "knockout" punch? Electricians use them.

Yes, your disc will have a hole in the middle, but you can weld that up, too.

Bry #836877 01/15/21 11:19 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...fitted the new tool box that was among the parts that came with the bike. It is very well made and fitted well. I did need to make some minor adjustments to the front bracket and make a new rear bracket - which was missing - out of mild steel flat bar.

The tool box seems to be in the correct location based on dimensions for the mounting holes that I found and period catalogue images, but it does rest on the pillion foot rest boss when open, it's not really a problem and I suppose it's supposed to be like this?

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #836935 01/16/21 2:02 pm
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by Bry
but it does rest on the pillion foot rest boss when open, it's not really a problem and I suppose it's supposed to be like this?
I am not familiar with Rudge but my pre-war Triumph tool box does exactly the same thing so my gut feeling is that yes, that's how it is.

John

Bry #839410 02/08/21 5:20 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...there were two oil tanks that came with the bike, one has a hole where the threaded fixing boss for the spacer bolt connecting to the battery carrier has broken out. The other one has had the same boss and threaded hole soldered up, presumably because it had also been damaged and was leaking.

As the tanks are fabricated using soft soldering, after removing the paint, I decided to desolder (using MAP gas and an airline), clean and re-solder the best of the two tanks

I took the opportunity to knock out some small dents in the tank while it was apart.

When reassembling I made a larger doubler plate to reinforce the threaded boss that was leaking.

Upon inspection of the connection fittings - the filler neck, oil outlet connection and drain plug fitting all looked sound, but the oil inlet connection had a crack in the solder on the inside. So this was removed and cleaned also and refitted with a reinforcement collar.

After tinning, I re-soldered using 40/60 tinmans stick solder and a butane torch.

Seems to have sealed up well but I will leave it sitting for a few days full of white spirit as a leak test, I'll then low pressure air test it and inspect using snoop liquid.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
3 members like this: Stuart Kirk, chainreaction, Magnetoman
Bry #839546 02/09/21 9:47 pm
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Bry
Seems to have sealed up well but I will leave it sitting for a few days full of white spirit as a leak test, I'll then low pressure air test it and inspect using snoop liquid.
Very nice solder work.

I googled Snoop Liquid and got a surprise. It's an actual product by Swagelok who also does high pressure aerospace hydraulic plumbing. I have installed their plumbing in DC10's. So anyway, it's a high tech type of soapy water bubble test and I have to say, serious overkill for an old British bike oil tank..

Impressive...

Bry #845913 04/12/21 9:30 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...I finally got my other bikes serviced, some minor repairs done and ready to ride when the snow stops; so, I can now focus again on the Rudge project.

The resoldered oil tank has been sitting full of white spirt for the last 2 months with no sign of leakage so I got it fitted.

After reading up on the battery carrier assembly - it seems that I have everything that should be there except for the cover screw, so I made one as I have the original factory drawing for this.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #845915 04/12/21 10:08 pm
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
My first thought was
who in their right mind makes a cover screw ? ... and now I want to make one .

Bry #845917 04/12/21 10:29 pm
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Bry
.. I have everything that should be there except for the cover screw, so I made one

Very nice. Only one teeny tiny comment, I think I would have done the knurl right at this point, before completely parting off the cover screw. One less setup, well supported, quick.

Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
That was certainly an option, but I needed to make the set up in the collet chuck anyway after parting to turn the domed end, this operation is not shown in the photographs.

I decided the smaller area to be knurled (always a benefit when knurling stainless on a hobby lathe!) was preferable to the wider knurled area and greater rigidity before parting and doming.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
Bry #847518 04/29/21 10:23 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...some minor progress. I straightened the foot rests and supports, they weren't far out and I was able to cold bend them back into the correct position.

I fitted the replacement gearbox foot control ratchet centre and bottom locking plates. I made a CAD drawing from the factory print and sent the file off to a bloke who profile plasma cut the plates. The bolt holes were undersized on the plasma cutting profile drawing so that they could be reamed to final size. The bolt holes on the centre plate were match drilled with the corresponding holes in the top and bottom plates after orientating the control ratchet peardrop assembly into the optimal position, as advised on the original factory drawing. The internal ratchet mechanism components were all found to be in good condition so I only replaced the springs, cleaned, greased and reassembled in the peardrop housing.

The gearbox casing screws were replaced with (what I believe) are the correct ones for the year. However, I was concerned with the limited clearance between the end of the swivel bolt for the foot change link rod and the mechanism cover, so I made up a custom bolt and swivel assembly to provide a bit more clearance.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
2 members like this: GrandPaul, Magnetoman
Bry #848972 05/14/21 10:12 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
A job i've been putting off is to straighten the pillion foot rest mounting bosses on the chain stays. As it turned out, it wasn't that difficult and only required a bit of carefully applied force with a lever in the right place with no need for heat, hydraulic jacks or special jigs to be made that I had anticipated might be required.

Checking against the factory drawing I found that the offset and torsional alignment also needed a slight adjustment. This explained the springing apart of the rear dropout plates when the rear axle was slackened. With the correct offset and parallel alignment of the dropout plates with the face of the chain stay that bolts to the fame, the gap between the drop out plates is now just 1mm greater that the assembled wheel, brake and spacer assembly.

I'll recheck the wheel alignment when I refit the rear wheel.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
2 members like this: GrandPaul, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
My first thought was who in their right mind makes a cover screw?
Anyone with the equipment, materials, and skills, that's who!

(that leaves me out, I no longer have access to a lathe, mill, and other specialty equipment; plus, I'm done doing that level of stuff)

Bry #849016 05/15/21 2:26 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
@Bry, this stuff you're doing is amazing. Leaves me in the dust, but loving it.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Originally Posted by quinten
My first thought was
who in their right mind makes a cover screw ? ... and now I want to make one .

Watch some of this guys videos. Sometimes he uses a piece of (hand held) high speed steel to shape things.... similar to a wood lathe.
It’s actually surprising how gratifying it is to make Fasteners..... or almost anything for that matter. Wouldn’t be unusual to find me asking strangers if they want to see my gear.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]4340AFE9-4014-48D5-8C97-38ED108B3740 by First Last, on Flickr

Wouldn’t be unusual to find me asking strangers if they want to see my gear.
Anything for a laugh.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Bry #849033 05/15/21 11:00 pm
Bry Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
...the rear wheel spindle groove that the locating journal in the brake plate carrier engages in to turn the LH eccentric cam chain adjuster had quite a bit of wear where it interfaces with the journal. This caused the LH and RH eccentric cams to be out of sync and would not align the rear wheel correctly when adjusting.

Otherwise the spindle and associated components were found to be straight and in good condition.

I built up, by welding, the worn edge of the groove and ground down the weld to the thread OD. Using a small grinding wheel, dressed to match the profile of the groove, I made a new groove, then recut the thread.

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
3 members like this: PINEMONKEY, GrandPaul, Magnetoman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Richrd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com