Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Vetterdog
Vetterdog
Central NJ
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
D
After many years away from Brit bikes I recently acquired a 71 A65T and literally drug it home (stuck engine and trans, stuck brakes, flat tires). Why ask why.

I got it home and removed both engine side covers and the engine turns with a wrench. Drained the oil, no water in the oil. Was rust around the kicker under right cover. Speedo is hooked up and shows 14K mikes. It might have been at least 35 years since it ran, I have no history. Came with a bill of sale only from a very old school motorcycle repair shop here in Dallas. I think it was buried for years in their mess and I found it when it emerged. I returned to buy it maybe a month after I found it snd it was getting buried again.

Observations:
1) The kicker does not release when the engine is turned with the kick starter. When the kicker is pulled back up to running position, it will disengage.
2) The trans shifter will not budge. The chain sprocket won’t budge. I cut the old rusty chain off. The clutch cable was frozen so I cut it off. I removed the clutch pressure plate and freed up the clutch push rod.

I bought new tires yet to be delivered so I can get it to roll. I do not have the room to work in this but bought myself a 65th birthday present (maybe I deserved better). My short term goal is only free up the transmission and kicker so I can better analyze what I have then decide how much time and money to expend on it. I have a mountain of projects already but I’m enjoying this one right now.

What should I no next? Start pumping Marvel and diesel (or another snake oil) through the crankcase? When I have a roller with a new chain would that be a good way to try to break the chain sprocket loose? Do I need to remove the inner timing cover? Will that allow me to see what my problems are?

I would post a picture of this prize with this post if I knew how. Can learn how to do that later. Doing this on my phone because that is where I have the picture

Thanks, Don in Dallas

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
As a newbie myself, let me offer you welcome. I am treading exactly the same path with a 72 A65T that
hasn't turned a wheel since 1981.

I bought it back in August from the executor of the previous owners estate.
One owner. 10k miles on the speedo and the remains of an electrical fire.

I am a few hours down the 35 from you..

If you look for all my recent posts, they are all about my process of getting this bike pulled apart and questions about how to do 'xyz'. However, this isn't my first rodeo with an A65 and the last bike I had on the road (in 1999) was a '77 Ducati 900 Darmah. That came in boxes, not on wheels..

Happy to swap stories, modifications, advice and suppliers.

I use imgBB as the Hosting service to post photos here.

What you should do next depends on what you want to achieve.
You want to get the engine running? Personally, I wouldn't.

As you have the covers off I would pull the transmission to find out why it was seized.
Do you know why the bike was put away and forgotten? A seized transmission would do it.
Maybe it seized while being driven.

Again, only personally, I wouldn't try to start it. Just accept you are in for a rebuild, bite the
bullet and pull the engine out of the frame and start to strip it down.

Steve.

D
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
D
I tried to remove the inner timing cover today, won’t come off more than an 1/8 inch. Frustrated.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Have you removed the tacho drive spindle off the oil pump? If you haven’t then you’ll have buggered the spindle and damaged the pump.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
If it is actually a Thunderbolt it would not have the tach drive but someone could have added it.
The whole cover moves an 1/8"? Removed the point plate and advance?

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
"What should I no next?"
Get a 1971 A65 workshop Manual, it will be really useful.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
D
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
D
Thanks for the suggestions. I did watch some YouTube videos of A65 teardowns so I removed the tach drive and the spark advance. The shifter is stuck and the inner timing cover seems to be binding in the proximity of the shifter. Looking at an exploded diagram I'm wondering if the shifter can bind on the gear selector cam plate?

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Do you think you can remove the inner timing cover without removing the shift centering spring and pawl? No, those have to come off first. The shifter pawls are trapped by the shift plate. Download a repair Manual.

1 member likes this: Allan G
D
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
D
Not long after my last post I got the inner timing cover off and removed the rusty transmission. I sourced another transmission and installed it with a new main shaft bearing and seal. The bike is a roller now but I got sidetracked working on some dirt bikes.

I bought new fork tubes so I can ditch the period extended forks. I hope to get back to work on the A65T soon.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Don in Dallas

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
With the new gear cluster installed and the trap door bolted up, check this important detail. Layshaft end float. It should be " just perceptible", , you dont need to get too fancy here, just grab the end of the lay shaft stub and try to move it in and out , if it moves noticeably you have too much end float, they usually do,. To fix this get the max oversize layshaft thrust washer, it lives at the drive shaft end of the layshaft. This one setting is crucial for the sweet operation of the gear change, when it gets sloppy so does the shifting.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com