Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
i would say in my experience with e.i.'s is they either wont start or quit running.ive not had anything in between. i had a Commando Boyer about 20 yrs ago that was virtually new. it died very close to where i worked. snagging a shop meter i was able to deduce that one of the two series pick up coils was open, it was about a mile home. i found that jumping the open winding allowed it to run and get it home. i would assume that the advance doesnt work under those conditions,but it was small town residential so it was a slow putt rather than a long push. i thought that might be useful emergency info. i didnt try to figure out what a long drive would do,but i doubt its healthy for the control box.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1 Andy !! Seems like I have done everything possible wrong at some point. The above is one of them.
I also can go to alot of trouble to outdo myself. Once, convinced it was a great idea to “pre-oil” and bed stuff in a bit before actual 1st start, I rigged up a drive coupling to the primary crank spline, and let the motor turn awhile on electric drive. I was quite happy with the mechanical results, and NO it didn’t burn oil, still doesn’t. BUT, the electrical results took awhile to make sense. Ignition was not working, and had been working before work. Now what? From help here, I learned that my efforts fried the Boyer. Spinning the motor, switch on to see the OP light go out, with the plugs removed and wires hanging loose, killed the Boyer. Just one more lesson from the UofHardNox. Now I always have the plug wires in the circuit.
I have others but this one took the most effort to screw up!!!!!

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 12/23/20 3:17 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
1 member likes this: Nick H
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by John Healy
"The Boyer failure I had was proven conclusively by swapping in another box, with no other changes." You did make a change! By disconnecting the old box, wih possible corroded connections, and connected up a new one, it is possible that the new conections cured the problem.

Dammit John! smile

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by hacksaw
anyone have a boyer go bad on their brit twin? what is the symptoms ? how do you know its shot?

Clogged pilot jet.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've never had a Boyer box go bad. Though I did have one suffer when a dual HD coil went low resistance. I had a 5A fuse in line, which blew, but I put a 10A in to try to get home. That blew too, the coil primary had dropped to 1 Ohm.
Can't say if the box is bad, but I no longer trusted it.
I do know how they act up with low voltage. At around 11V the bike won't idle and pops. If you keep the revs up you might get home.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com