Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Beach
Beach
West Virginia, United States
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#833323 12/14/20 11:47 pm
R
repoman Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Greetings:
Need some help..I'm reserecting a stalled project, 69 bsa firebird scrambler..
Trying to find pics of side cover and coil mounting brackets... I've searched Google and this forum, but can't seem to find exactly what I need.

Anyone?

Thanx

59 T-120R
67 T-120R
66 T-120TT
69 Firebird scrambler
73 Norton Commando
52 Norton Model 7
55 Harley KHK
49 Harley Panhead
77 Ducati Darmah
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
Best bet might be to search for a part # out of the book specific for your model

Plug the #'s into Google images, this might help you get an idea of what they should look like and to also find vendors that stock them

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Apologies the image is small, but I stole it from an old post on here.

Start off the parts books for 68 on never got revised for twin carb models. This design was originally used on the single carb model (or shown to be, though I always thought the single carb bones had the P clips mounted to hide the coils under the wings of the panel). I’ve seen/had several unmolested twin carb bikes which have this mounting system.

Sadly the picture isn’t greatly clear enough but each part fits that it locks against the previous part, otherwise it will rotate.

The right angle part of the “P” bracket sits against one of the flats against the dogleg bracket (hope you like these scientific terms), the angle of the dog leg bracket rests against the engine mount. There should then be a spacer which goes between the inner side of the two P brackets and one long bolt that goes through.

Hope this helps.

657E462C-0923-4154-9D58-BC56FAFCDD43.jpeg

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This picture is of the coils and brackets from my 1970 Firebird if it helps any further?

1970 A65 FB coil brackets.JPG

Just a few Beezers..

R
repoman Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Thank you all for the reply's.
Ian C: that's exactly what I need..

Anyone have pics of the side cover mounting bracket?..I do have what i believe is the correct part, ( Alan's pic ) but when I mount it, it doesn't align with the side cover holes...

TY

Last edited by repoman; 12/15/20 1:05 pm.

59 T-120R
67 T-120R
66 T-120TT
69 Firebird scrambler
73 Norton Commando
52 Norton Model 7
55 Harley KHK
49 Harley Panhead
77 Ducati Darmah
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Again, this bracket off my 1970.. HTH

A65 sidecover bracket.jpg

Just a few Beezers..

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've also included this pic, for as you probably know, the FB LH panel was shorter than the stock Lightning plus had 3 Fasteners.

FB LH sidepanel brackets setup.JPG

Just a few Beezers..

R
repoman Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hi Ian C:
That looks like exactly what I have, but my side covers don't fit...I do have the half cover on the left side , too.
I'll see if I can post some pics here of what I have

When I first bought this bike, it had low exhaust and full covers both sides...I've been searching for years for the right parts...
I thought I had the right parts, but not sure now..

Parts book is of no help

TY

Do I need to upgrade membership to post pics?

Last edited by repoman; 12/15/20 2:46 pm.

59 T-120R
67 T-120R
66 T-120TT
69 Firebird scrambler
73 Norton Commando
52 Norton Model 7
55 Harley KHK
49 Harley Panhead
77 Ducati Darmah
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When you state 'side covers don't fit', how far out are the holes? You may have to 'adjust' a bracket or maybe 2 to take up the difference. This is my LH cover, which is a story in itself as to how I acquired it as it went missing C/O USPS for about 3 months.. crazy

Not sure for pic posting for yourself, so maybe someone could help? Would you need to use a Hosting site for pics perhaps?

FB LH cover.JPG
Last edited by Ian C; 12/15/20 3:34 pm. Reason: added a line re:pic posting

Just a few Beezers..

R
repoman Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hi Ian:
I feel like a fool....I looked at your pic again and realized the bracket wasn't symmetrical...i turned it around, and it fits fine.
Im an engineer to boot!

Very embarassed..

I do need to upgrade to post pics..I will be doing that shortly.
looks like I'll be on here more often!

TY

59 T-120R
67 T-120R
66 T-120TT
69 Firebird scrambler
73 Norton Commando
52 Norton Model 7
55 Harley KHK
49 Harley Panhead
77 Ducati Darmah
1 member likes this: Ian C
50+ years experience
50+ years experience
I'm pretty sure Rube Goldberg was consulted for devising side cover mounting brackets for A65s. In fact, he may have had something to do with the rear brake stop switch assembly as well!😜

[Linked Image from tbsphotos.s3.amazonaws.com]
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by The Bonneville Shop
I'm pretty sure Rube Goldberg was consulted for devising side cover mounting brackets for A65s. In fact, he may have had something to do with the rear brake stop switch assembly as well!😜

😂

Pre 68 I would definitely agree with you, the later version was simpler... that said it’s not unknown that the bracket has to be “tweaked” to allow the side panels to mount properly. Straighten it back up and you’ll probably find the covers won’t fit 😂

1 member likes this: The Bonneville Shop
Life member
Life member
Hi Repoman,

My 69 FB has the sidecover mount(s) shown above for the 1970 bike. The top mount for the LHS sidecover seems hard to come by, so if you have one, great!!

I run the coil mount shown with twin carbs. Not sure it its correct for 69 though.

Cheers
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Hi my name is Andy just new to the forum today, I have a 69 A50 Royal star frame with 67 A65 dual carb, I,m useing the same sidecover bracket that came with the A50, and the same which Ian C showed the painted one by itself, when i try to fit the lightning side cover i really need to force the cover onto the odie clips to get the studs to lock, the holes on the cover seem too narrow apart to make a good fit. I,m thinking what i need is the coil brackets assembly shown on this post, along with the alternate side cover bracket p/n 82-8291 which is listed in the 69 bsa parts catalogue. The catalogue i think only shows the A50 single carb side cover bracket which I,m useing to also mount the coils, and not sure if that is correct, again the book does not show a pic.

This alternate side cover bracket that ive seen is much less beefy in construction then the pic above and mounts to the same part of the rea frame but the 2 end flanges that incorporate the odie clips seem to be in a little different position. , which may mount the side covers much better, sorry in advance for the ramble, but hopeing someone can help clear up my confusion as to try to finish this reno to make it more original, at least lookwise and not near #,s wise

Thanks Andy

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Andy, Welcome to the Party! yes, side covers can be a difficult project. Sounds like you do have a mixed lot there, as is not too unusual after all the years with different owners! The A50 single carb would use different side covers than the twin carb bikes. So the oodie spacing and brackets are different. One thing you need to do as a soon as possible, is figure out how to post photos. Yes, we like’em, but also they really help with getting a answer to your question. The comment about using the ‘69 FB post as Ref, makes me wonder if you are thinking to use that side cover set up. Best to use the ‘69 Parts book, and see that cover set up. I expect you have already figured that out. Good luck!

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 12/23/20 3:38 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
As I mentioned previously, you have the correct bracket the other one listed in the parts book was actually last used in 67, but for some reason stayed in the manuals until the end of the pre oif production run. The bracket you have needs “tweaking” to give good alignment with the side panels.

R
repoman Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hi:
Fortunatly for me I was able to find the correct left side cover. Now that I know how to mount the bracket, I'm almost ready to paint the sheetmetal..
Does anyone have a paint code?..I know I can take a piece down to the body supply store and have them scan the paint, but want to get close as possible.

I'm assuming this bike is not candy, like the earlier bsa's...I have what I believe is a NOS tank, and it is not candy.

H

59 T-120R
67 T-120R
66 T-120TT
69 Firebird scrambler
73 Norton Commando
52 Norton Model 7
55 Harley KHK
49 Harley Panhead
77 Ducati Darmah
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
No help here, but I wanted to mention that I have a 69 FB I bought when it was only 5 years old. The paint then was badly faded from what I'd have expected. And it seemed very thin, was nothing like the deep shiny paint on the Lightnings.

1 member likes this: repoman
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Thanks KC, for greeting and reply,, Awesome!, I was thinking it was just me haveing this amount of difficulty trying to fit these side covers, I aquired this bike almost 40 years ago, stripped it down , and did about a 90% complete restoration in a year includeing having the engine bottom and top ends rebuilt by British bikes on fraser street in vancouver, i only rode it about a year until the carbs slides began to stick around 3/4 travel which scared me pretty bad, then parked it for a while until i bought new AMAL 930,s which solved the carb problem but just never put the bike back on the road, Its been stored well for about 38 years except for a 3 year stint in a unenclosed garage 20 years ago. Will need lots of polishing, rear wheel and fender removed to access cleaning the rea frame area where the most dirt and grease is, oil and fuel tanks flushed and treated, new tires, chain cleaned and relubed, engine relubed, etc,etc. The engine still has compression.

Then now start again where i left off, trying to get side covers on and rebuild the tach and speedo i aquired, decals, proper mufflers, and again etc,etc.

I have the original A50 engine with the Royal star steel side covers and aquired a pair of L and R twin carb steel side covers and one l/h twin fibreglass one which none seem to fit well unless forced and then they rub badly on the rear vertical frame support. KC you wrote " So the oodie spacing and brackets are different" Which is why i think i need the bracket the the 69 Manual and earlier the parts book is showing but not illustrateing This P/N 82-8291. I have tried to bend the l/h rear bracket forward but still not happy with the fit, I,ll try some more and let you know.

I guess the really short version of all this is can anyone explain why the 2 different horizontal side cover brackets p/n,s in the parts Manual and pictures online.

Yep i will need to figure out how to send my pics online, not that great on computers.

Yes i did see the difference on that FB post and is not being considered

The catalogue i,m useing is the parts Manual # 00-5145 which i think is within my frame serial #

RE Allen G OK thanks i,ll take that into consideration, Again though, I wonder why the 2 different brackets and if what side covers work with them,, I have side covers like i mention above, but no idea what they are from

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The side covers from the years that did use the different bracket also fit the other bracket etc etc. The coil mounting position changed and bsa saved money by using one bracket for both single and twin carbs. It would have been more expensive to change the parts books so that’s probably why they weren't done, they were never intended to be restoration manuals.

Are you able to post an image of what you have?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
fwiw.... I've replaced the oddie clips with Dzus Fasteners on several of my bikes. the spring fits right in the old mount holes. these were made for aircraft cowling & really hold tight. the ramp on the spring slot of the stud means you only have to get close and it will pull in, then the spring locks into a notch. if you look at the heads, they look so close no one can tell at a glance. only a trained eye can tell even up close

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Mitch; 12/24/20 3:25 am.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Right i think i got you, at least on the resto aspect, I think i may have proved this tonight, or part of it. As the last main part of This time resto effort, these side covers issues are holding back the end plan of how i reassemble a fair bit of this bike. I want to get it correct as possible and have the time to do it, So with what I am learning from this forum and my own research seems to be that either side cover bracket should be able to fit either a single carb royalstar or a twin carb lightning side cover. I measured both side covers from the royal star original and the twin carb steel side covers i have, the measurement seems about the same. So i got them on with some force and even with some clearance issues with the twin air cleaners, i think i will be able to make them work with some minor metal bending on the steel side covers. on the l/h frame and r/h air cleaner, The r/h cover already has a 1/4 wear erosion from rubbing on the original aircleaner from where it was originally installed,

So i can live with the twin aircleaner and side cover bracket i have, but to mount the the coil p clamps onto this same side cover bracket anchor holes/nuts on the frame, is to position both coil p brackets mounting holes on the left hand side with both the coils faceing on the r/h side, and to have the botton of l/h coil situated in the clamp to clear the rear tran/engine mount dual brackets and the very top of r/h coil situated in the clamp to clear the air cleaner, Something like that, ive had a few wisers since then, but not that drunk yet to know that ive never seen a lightning picture that show how they mount the coils like that, so either thats on purpose or II still have a lot to learn, I sure could use some pics, cause this does not seem correct

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Some pics would be excellent!

R
repoman Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
What size(length) Dzus Fasteners do u use?

TY

59 T-120R
67 T-120R
66 T-120TT
69 Firebird scrambler
73 Norton Commando
52 Norton Model 7
55 Harley KHK
49 Harley Panhead
77 Ducati Darmah
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
sorry, I don't remember. they were parts from my box of goodies and common to many aircraft (my trade for 40 years). a guy collects stuff. shouldn't be hard to figure it out though... look at the catalogues

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com