Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (Doug P, Magnetoman, Guy, franko, Ian Ashdown, NickL, hardarser, TR6Ray, Hugh Jörgen), 18 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Howdy everyone.

Wondering if there's a specific source for Triumph paint codes and details such as pin stripe colors & widths, fender stripe info etc.

Looking, specifically, to replicate the black & silver color scheme of this 1966 home market 6TA, as seen here, in this UK catalog of that year

Thanks in advance.
Tom

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

Last edited by ricochetrider; 12/13/20 8:39 pm.

Lesya Ukrainka:
“He who has not lived through a storm/does not know the price of strength.”

Triumphs on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
It has been mentioned before that a cross match list to commonly used colours from other automotive makes would be handy, even if they aren't exactly the same. As an example I used to use Leyland Blaze as Grenadier red, which was a close match and Ford Polar white as the matching whaite pint. This is very handy for those of us that like to or have to do our own painting. Any takers for other matches? there is a current Ford colour which looks close to Spring gold, just don't know what its called yet.

1958 5TA / T100
1965 T120R
1970 TR6
1970 TR6C
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
As far as paint codes go, no. The scheme you are trying to replicate is pretty straight forward though. Whilst today you can have a multitude of different blacks I suspect in 66 you could have black or not black. So when you buy paint ask your supplier for straight black paint. The second colour is known as " Silver Sheen ". This is a metallic silver formulated when metallics were still in their infancy, what that means is that the metallic ( Aluminium ) particles are very fine when compared with a modern version. Paint manufacturers were concerned that if they went too coarse they would block the painters guns. So you are looking for fine almost grey silver. This is the colour as supplied by John Critchlow...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.msmotorcyclesuk.com

As far as layouts go, I have been working on a post on and off for a while

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/752995/1

Keep in mind that neither of the 66 bikes I have seen you post pictures of have a Home Market tank so visually your paint layout should look like the 66 TR6R in this thread.

Call up the craftsmen
Bring me the draftsmen
Build me a path from cradle to grave
And I'll give my consent
To any government
That does not deny a man a living wage
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I ordered some black paint a while back, and after some discussion this was amended to black black.

This ensured that it had no component red, blue, green, yellow or any other colour you can think of
added to it in the formulation stage. It was noticeably blacker than what I've seen before.

I have seen it said that there is no black like BMW Black, but perhaps you don't want to go down that path !

Gosh, I just had a captcha with motorcycles ...

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I just saw a Suzuki in the colour Crystal Lime. Does anyone thank that's a close match for Spring gold?

1958 5TA / T100
1965 T120R
1970 TR6
1970 TR6C

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com