Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#833047 12/12/20 6:59 pm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hi, does anyone have experience with megacycles 542x2 cam? I've got a number of 68-473 cams to pick from for my motor build but thinking about picking up one of these. What's the effective difference with this versus stock. What does "improved mid range" mean functionally wise?
I'm not looking for racey. A little more pep isn't bad but overall having a solid, daily around town with longer weekend trips is the goal. Being able to run at 70+ all day is more important to me than going fast from stop light to stop light.
Cheers

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They why bother changing from the stock cam?

If you want to try something, buy another camshaft pinion and broach several key ways in it. Then learn how to dial a cam in with a dial gauge and you’ll get pretty close to what the mega cycle cam is giving you. After all it is supposed to be identical to the original cam... just retarded a few degrees.

Ps. With the mega cycle cam you’ll also need to have your followers ground to 3/4” radius (stock is 1.25”)

I’m using the X12 cam... it’s ok but I’ve used other cams (less expensive) that pack more punch.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

2 members like this: The Bonneville Shop, drunkenmonkz
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
The standard 473 cam is adequate. It's quite a 'sporty' item anyway.

2 members like this: drunkenmonkz, Allan G
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
I tend to agree with the above comments but to answer your question, I have some experience with the x-2 on my race bikes. First, I used standard tappets and if you are getting a new cam, have Mega reface them for you. At first, I made the mistake of setting the cam a couple of degrees retarded because 'that's what you do with the 473'. It sucked! Reset a couple of degrees advanced. Result, a small amount more power in mid and upper range. A couple of horses. They say stock springs are ok but if you are going to the trouble get new ones. Ed V. sells good springs that are not 'race springs'. Real 'race springs' require a lot of maintenance with valve lash. So, if you are building a street bike you don't 'need' a different cam but get new springs and set to spec and check to make sure cam is set to spec on all 4 lobes. However, if you want to make sure everything is tip-top then get the x-2, springs, etc. and then spend a few bucks on dyno time for a good tune. Hope this is helpful. PM if you want more info. PRT

1 member likes this: drunkenmonkz
knuckle head
knuckle head
Since this is a discussion on A65 cams......My A10 Super Roocket has the stock 357 cam in very nice shape. I have read it's very similar to the A65 473 ?...I believe the stock intake lobe center for both these cams is 105 degrees? Do any of you think advancing the cam to about 100 degress would be better for a road bike? This engine has about 7.75 static compression...
I do have a lot of experience with Triumph cam timing changes so I might assume the A10 would be similar..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
1 member likes this: drunkenmonkz
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Allan G
They why bother changing from the stock cam?

If you want to try something, buy another camshaft pinion and broach several key ways in it. Then learn how to dial a cam in with a dial gauge and you’ll get pretty close to what the mega cycle cam is giving you. After all it is supposed to be identical to the original cam... just retarded a few degrees.

Ps. With the mega cycle cam you’ll also need to have your followers ground to 3/4” radius (stock is 1.25”)

I’m using the X12 cam... it’s ok but I’ve used other cams (less expensive) that pack more punch.

I was considering buying a new stock cam instead of putting a used one in, just about everything else in this motor is new. There's a new megacycles cam on eBay that's about half the cost that got me thinking about it but your right, I'm past the days of taking it out to the track on weekends so stock cam it is
Great feedback thank you

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Tony, My book shows 98.5 and 110.5 for both the 473 and the 357. I don't think you could go wrong by setting as close to that as you can..Or maybe a couple of degrees towards straight up. PRT

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by NickL
The standard 473 cam is adequate. It's quite a 'sporty' item anyway.

Agree. I just haven't known anyone that's done a cam upgrade on the a65 so was curious what the experience has been. Like I mentioned to Allen G there's one on eBay for the cost of a new stock so seeing if its worth the trouble. Seeing as I'm more tame these days the sticking with stock seems the way to go..

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
I tend to agree with the above comments but to answer your question, I have some experience with the x-2 on my race bikes. First, I used standard tappets and if you are getting a new cam, have Mega reface them for you. At first, I made the mistake of setting the cam a couple of degrees retarded because 'that's what you do with the 473'. It sucked! Reset a couple of degrees advanced. Result, a small amount more power in mid and upper range. A couple of horses. They say stock springs are ok but if you are going to the trouble get new ones. Ed V. sells good springs that are not 'race springs'. Real 'race springs' require a lot of maintenance with valve lash. So, if you are building a street bike you don't 'need' a different cam but get new springs and set to spec and check to make sure cam is set to spec on all 4 lobes. However, if you want to make sure everything is tip-top then get the x-2, springs, etc. and then spend a few bucks on dyno time for a good tune. Hope this is helpful. PM if you want more info. PRT

Great info. I'm gonna stick with the stock. My flat track days are over (for now 😉) so tempting though...

knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by pushrod tom
Tony, My book shows 98.5 and 110.5 for both the 473 and the 357. I don't think you could go wrong by setting as close to that as you can..Or maybe a couple of degrees towards straight up. PRT
Thanks Tom....I will check it just to be sure... 110 degrees on the exhaust is quite a bit, Must be some reason for it..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
A good old 473, which most are works fine a new one will soon look the same. You can see if it has wear but I've not seen it.

mark
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Parker
A good old 473, which most are works fine a new one will soon look the same. You can see if it has wear but I've not seen it.

I have 2x 473 cams which I’ve dialed up, one is still spot on with the numbers. The other I think someone has tried cleaning up with a stone as one inlet gives incorrect numbers, when I’ve calculated the LCA using lift angles at 0.080” lift I find that one side is a few degrees different.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com