Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Originally Posted by Beach
Thought the original question was how the cables should be run. First thing I'd do is correct the throttle cables. Under the brake lever.
it was - the whole handle bar configuration is a bit helter-skelter. digging through the replies i'm beginning to think that Gary E (reply #2) hit the nail on the head. careful inspection of control levers, twist grip, cables, etc., it just may be i'm looking at original equipment. thinking if i switch out the bars to the correct 42-4968 handlebars, everything else should fall into place - at least i hope that's the case. Mark Z's post seems to have cleared up the lever issue - an why the differences between the 66 and 67 parts manuals. anyway, ordering up the correct bars and re-assemble everything with existing parts.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
O
Ola Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Mark Z - another Small Heath mystery. It seems like we have the same list, they have the same catalogue number. Questions are many and life is short...

[Linked Image from oseose.webs.com]

Last edited by Ola; 12/07/20 4:01 pm.

There are no bosses in a technical discussion
(Doug Hele, 1919 - 2001)
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Right Ola, never a dull moment. It may be as Gary claimed, an early and a later version. I guess they weren't into revision numbers.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
Originally Posted by Mark Z
if you get bars like Beach has you will be factory correct for US export .....i only added the bit about the "droop yoke" and clip on cause hey were ok factory option for the Spit and cafe racer style ..........wasnt meaning it had anything to do with your bike ...hope no confusion

Allan above made a good point bout the measurements ................what ever they get called FULL westerns and SEMI westerns are NOT the same

U.S. market BSA bars had an 8-inch rise. U.S. market Triumph bars (late sixties) had a 5-inch rise. The Triumph bars (which I have on my A65 bitsa BTW) may be what were referred to as "semi-Western".

The BSA bars are also "swoopier" than the Triumph bars; i.e., the grips point downward instead of straight out to the sides. The bars in the picture from Baxter's look correct.

here is as close as i can fund to the full western look

https://www.trojanclassics.com/assets/full/BAR0099.jpg?20200707030809

the Semi westerns are more like this......not exact but best i can find

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JaUAAOSwsypeutKS/s-l400.jpg

but yes what you say ......the full are droopier (good word)

its subtle but they are different

Those ebay "semi-Western" bars look very similar to Triumph unit bars. Here is a tweeked OEM BSA Western bar with the cable guide still attached that looks like I will have to grind the screw heads off that are attaching it to the bars. I'd like to get these straightened as my attempts have been fruitless. Why does it seem that bars always bend in an apex that seems to twist making straightening very difficult.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bill B...

Boomer
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Boomer
Originally Posted by Mark Z
if you get bars like Beach has you will be factory correct for US export .....i only added the bit about the "droop yoke" and clip on cause hey were ok factory option for the Spit and cafe racer style ..........wasnt meaning it had anything to do with your bike ...hope no confusion

Allan above made a good point bout the measurements ................what ever they get called FULL westerns and SEMI westerns are NOT the same

U.S. market BSA bars had an 8-inch rise. U.S. market Triumph bars (late sixties) had a 5-inch rise. The Triumph bars (which I have on my A65 bitsa BTW) may be what were referred to as "semi-Western".

The BSA bars are also "swoopier" than the Triumph bars; i.e., the grips point downward instead of straight out to the sides. The bars in the picture from Baxter's look correct.

here is as close as i can fund to the full western look

https://www.trojanclassics.com/assets/full/BAR0099.jpg?20200707030809

the Semi westerns are more like this......not exact but best i can find

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JaUAAOSwsypeutKS/s-l400.jpg

but yes what you say ......the full are droopier (good word)

its subtle but they are different

Those ebay "semi-Western" bars look very similar to Triumph unit bars. Here is a tweeked OEM BSA Western bar with the cable guide still attached that looks like I will have to grind the screw heads off that are attaching it to the bars. I'd like to get these straightened as my attempts have been fruitless. Why does it seem that bars always bend in an apex that seems to twist making straightening very difficult.

Bill B...
I had a set of bars that looked like those. I took them to guy that straightens frame and he fixed them for $20. Was better than me bending them beyond repair.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by Boomer

Bill B...

Those bars are 42-4994 and are correct for some model '65 and older machines. Definitely different than the typical 42-4968 from '66 on.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
have these bars in my parts stash. can anyone help identify these handlebars. note the knurling. never seen replacement bars with knurling, so, could these be factory OE bars? not sure how to read some dimensions, so i added a few pics with measurements. maybe you can help me out on what i'm looking at. i'm thinking these may be the U.S. western bars as supplied on a 74 Norton Commando. they just might be a suitable replacement handlebars for my 66 Mk2 spitfire.

not sure how pullback is measured or where point to point is -

Last edited by joe czech; 12/09/20 1:51 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
I’ve found the LF Harris bars to be spot on.

Hi Allan,

Where do you source your LF Harris gear from?

I believe that they only deal with trade business themselves?

Kev E

J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
spent several hours today fitting the "Norton's western bars - cables and harness's seem to fall into place. not sure if the throttle cables are supposed to trough the large fork grommet or not? comments and feedback welcome -

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Look at my pictures!

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Kevin E
Originally Posted by Allan G
I’ve found the LF Harris bars to be spot on.

Hi Allan,

Where do you source your LF Harris gear from?

I believe that they only deal with trade business themselves?

Kev E

I got my set some 10+ years ago from Stafford Bike Show, although with things at the moment that isn’t going to return any time soon. If you scour eBay, have a look for where sellers have put Lf Harris/Harris or just LFH in their parts description. Some never mention it at all and some do.

I think one of the shops on there that I have ordered a few lfh bits from is KBH Motorcycles. If you drop them a message they might have some or order them for you.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by joe czech
spent several hours today fitting the "Norton's western bars - cables and harness's seem to fall into place. not sure if the throttle cables are supposed to trough the large fork grommet or not? comments and feedback welcome -

Those bars look to be more in line with the '65 Spitfire Hornet and Cyclone bars which Boomer posted which are much taller than the '66 and newer style.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com