Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
2022 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/28/21 6:22 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
DJinCA
DJinCA
SF Bay Area, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 20
Newest Members
Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3, GLENN'S PLACE, Smartfella
11,876 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (John Healy, Bry, Gordon Gray, quinten, Rohan, Magnetoman), 41 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#831915 12/02/20 5:29 pm
W
wbabojo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Hi everyone. Saw these and thought if you. They look great, but I can't recall ever seeing blue badges before. Were they for a lightweight rather than a big twin?

https://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/373375173026

Kind Regards

Gavin

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 12/02/20 5:33 pm.

Gavin
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
BSA on eBay
W
wbabojo Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Ok I'll come clean, first off, I'm not the seller. There's only 1 badge by the looks of it, and someone's been creative with some eggshell paint I'd say. Love to be proven wrong though..

Gavin
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I’d have to go back through my thunderbolts
And Lightning’s book but I believe they were used on either the early A50’s or the early A65 star models.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: wbabojo
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There was a member who posted pictures of an A50 or A65 that he bought I believe in and around 2011 here and the badges were a beautiful blue color but much more darker than the one in question. More like a Navy Blue to Midnight Blue. All I know is I never forgot them and would love a set !!

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

O
Ola Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
[Linked Image from oseose.webs.com]

There are no bosses in a technical discussion
(Doug Hele, 1919 - 2001)
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
When BSA introduced a new tank badge they usually colour matched some of them to the tank.
Usually this was only for a single season
There are 2 blue ones,
One has a pastel blue as shown in the catalogue page above and there was a darker blue.
Parts books only list the default red or black which you will see shown in the following years catalogue.
AFAIK here was a dark green one as well but I have only ever seen one bike wearing them which was a green shooting star .

When the new range was introduced for the 62 season BSA apparently did another run of colour matched tank badges, again for a single season.
It gets a little more confusing as some were silver and some were gold.
I had always believed that the silver ones were faded gold ones but having seen some NOS ones that were never fitted having the gold parts silver leads one to believe that they came both ways unless the gold is chemically unstable and fade to silver over time without the actions of sunlight.

We also must remember what is shown in the UK printed catalogues is always a painting and not a photo of the actual bikes.
This was common place at the time because printing from a painting / drawing was a lot cheaper than printing from a photo .
And the catalogue was often printed & distributed before a single bike it depicted had rolled off the line so what you see may or may not have been what BSA made .
USA printed catalogues OTOH are generally photos ( printing off photos must have been cheaper in the USA ) so are generally closer to the true appearance than a UK printed but again they were often taken using the pre production press bikes or proto types and again not actual production bikes so again there can be minor differences between what is shown & what was delivered.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com