Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BritTwit
BritTwit
Kansas City area
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (C.B.S, rightshifter, Rohan, BikeVice, koan58, Hillbilly bike), 33 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
wayno Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Hi to all. Newbe Wayno here. Recently purchased my first BSA 650 L. Pretty good condition. PO had kept it garaged and in running condition for the 30yrs he owned it. I have owned 2 Triumphs ( both choppers } back in the day but this is my 1st BSA. Also might add that I never really got into wrenching much on the choppers, simple tune ups. I was mainly into Hondas most of my life. 1st generation Goldwings my favorite to work on and restore. 350's 450"s and 750's of the 60's and 70'salso. 10 yrs ago dove into a 1974 TR6. Loved that little car. Rejuvenated and restored but decided to sell as is getting a little more difficult to work on due to physical limitations age brings. Bikes a little easier.
So, decided to disassemble this BSA to clean and polish and replace any worn parts. Fork seals were needing attention as one looked like it had been leaking for some time. Here is my first hurdle:

How to compress the fork springs to install back into upper fork tree? Do they have a special tool for installing? I did get the special tool for seal holder removal. Haven't found any info on squeezing stanchion and spring up into place. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

BSA on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Four methods, I guess: 1 Buy the dedicated tool rig. 2 Make your own using a derelict fork cap nut and some threaded rod. 3 The broom stick method, (tapering a chunk of lumber to screw down into the internal threads and pull up with your arms). And 4 Take a pair of vise grip welding C clamps. Insert through spring about at the halfway, compress spring and clamp the tool onto the tubes.

I've used all of the last three approaches, now I just use the vise grip clamps. Unless your springs are really strong this will work. I use the small clamps, not the familiar full size ones.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Methods 1, 2 or 3 but especially 3.

Once the tubes are up and in the taper tighten the lower yoke bolts to hold the stanchions, then undo whatever you have used to pull the stanchions up and then insert the fork top nuts and engage at east 2 or 3 turns, loosen off the lower yoke bolts and tighten up the fork top nuts so the taper gets a grip and the stanchions will then stay up whilst you complete the rest of the front end.

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
A worthwhile note is to ensure that the tapers in the top yoke (and best also in the bottom yoke) are free of any paint. if you have them nice and clean (and swapped with some alcohol after) the stanchions will pull all the way home and be a firm fit in the top yoke. I've seen a few where the stanchion won't pull up properly because of this and the top nuts get stripped because of lack of engagement.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

50+ years experience
50+ years experience
There is a great Fork Tube Puller Tool out there that has different sized threaded adaptors, making this an easy job.
Triumph Norton BSA etc. Fork Puller Tool Bonneville Commando PN# TBS-5469

[Linked Image from tbsphotos.s3.amazonaws.com]

Last edited by The Bonneville Shop; 11/25/20 9:45 pm.

[Linked Image from thebonnevilleshop.com]
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
W
wayno Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Perfect Guys!! cleared my head and all makes sense now. Went out and got the job done. Really appreciate all the advise. Sometimes cant see the forest for the trees. Got her whooped.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If you only do it once, fake it.. but if you plan on doing it twice, buy the tool.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by The Bonneville Shop
There is a great Fork Tube Puller Tool out there that has different sized threaded adaptors, making this an easy job.
Triumph Norton BSA etc. Fork Puller Tool Bonneville Commando PN# TBS-5469

[Linked Image from tbsphotos.s3.amazonaws.com]

^^^this is what i have. worked so far on both triumphs and bsa s.

if you buy the master tool you have an excuse to get another motorcycle

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Ironically I just went through the process of figuring out how to install the stanchions and came up with an old cap nut and threaded rod! Eureka!! Works great.

Life is Outstanding!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com