Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (konon, Tridentman, John Harvey, Rocketman71, triton thrasher, Rohan, Motorcycles and Art, chaterlea25, Edalfa, Hugh Jörgen, Steve Highfield), 41 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#830103 11/17/20 12:49 pm
D
Dingo3 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hello, I came across this SMITHS speedometer in a box of parts that came with a car I bought. It appears to be from a Vincent motorcycle but the number on the face (S.576) is missing the L or K at the end. So I’m not sure if the Vincent origin is correct. It measures 5 inches across.
Anything that I can find out about this gauge would be appreciated. Not trying to sell at this time, I think it’s cool and just want to know more about it.
I can’t load any photographs from my phone for some reason so I hope the number is enough.Thanks

Edit: Discovered that is indeed from a Black Shadow

Last edited by Dingo3; 11/21/20 2:02 pm. Reason: New info
Support your #1 Vincent Forum
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Just a guess, but a firm called Auto Tempo Meter in the U.K. did reproduce these instruments after Vincent production had long ceased. I'm not sure, but perhaps the "L" signifies left-hand rotation. The "K" certainly denotes a dial in kilometres per hour. A photo of the back and front would certainly help.As far as I know no other machine had an S. 576 instrument.

D
Dingo3 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I think the 5inch speedo (as such) was originally fitment to Jaguars, the Vincent variant (of the Jag guts) had a specially cast aluminium body.
An original Vin fitment had a right angle gearbox at the cable entry, the gearbox was retained by a screw into the speedo body (this is usually a giveaway for determination of 'OEM' versions.
The Auto Tempo versions did not use a gearbox and the drive cable connected straight to the speedo and did not look so 'for the job' as the originals.
I seem to vaguely remember something about the AT version only having one light (the originals had two), but that may just be old age playing me up!

1 member likes this: Hugh Jörgen
The esoteric knowledge of folks on this forum always amazes me.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
The esoteric knowledge of folks on this forum always amazes me.

Just a question of being around at the time when spares were getting very sparse and the bikes were still being used for their intended purpose, and not yet (just about) being old enough that the memory is kaput !!

D
Dingo3 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I decided to sell the speedometer. I was told that it is from a Black Shadow. I can’t post photos but I can send a bunch from my phone to an email. Please PM if interested and I will check the mail regularly. $950 I live in Southern Maryland if you want to see it up close. Thanks, Phil

Last edited by Dingo3; 06/05/21 4:08 am.
D
Dingo3 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Open to reasonable offers.

D
Dingo3 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Sold locally, thanks for the ad.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com