Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
JD
JD
Maryland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
DavidP 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 22
raf940 16
Newest Members
Salvador, tripp2727, Martin Raymond Emery, Sundance, BSANoob
12,323 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (raf940, Steve Erickson, D.Bachtel, C.B.S, TR7RVMan, BUSSHO), 21 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,636
Posts782,307
Members12,323
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#828434 10/31/20 12:56 pm
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
I have a 2008 Triumph America 865 (US version, so carbed not injected). I’ve dressed her up with old Bates hard bags from the 70s and I ride a ton, almost 10k miles this year, lots of that 2 up and highway. I’ve got some things in mind to up her horsepower and give her longer highway legs, namely doing an air box delete, straight pipes, carb re-jet, and changing my final drive sprockets to a 19 tooth front and 40 tooth rear.

I’ve been looking for options to continue that sort of thing, the older bikes here were big bore kits with new jugs and pistons and connecting rods And such, pretty affordable too, but I haven’t been finding anything like that for the newer bikes. Does anyone know if that sort of thing exists that would push me up over 1000cc?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

2008 Triumph America
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I believe with new bikes the cheapest way is to buy 1000 ccm bike in this case a Sprint model.
With old Triumph aftermarket parts were available because they were relatively easy to make, not so much with a new products from last 30 years.

1 member likes this: Hawk6351
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Check the TriumphRat forum. They have several sections for newer bikes.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes.. Please go to TRIUMPH RAT and leave us who rebuild the old bikes alone.

DOPE
DOPE
that was completely unnecessary.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
2 members like this: Bikeosaurus, Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That's your opinion, Kevin and you're entitled to it. I don't share it.

The TRIUMPH RAT site was created to promote the dealers and owners of the "New" Triumphs by the manufacturer of those bikes.
That is the same manufacturer who, when he took over the TRIUMPH brand name, originally turned his back on the old bikes... until he
discovered he could make a buck by exploiting the "nostalgia" crowd imitating them ("Bonneville 100", "Thruxton," etc.)

I have been a "Triumph guy" since 1967. I've seen later Triumph history first-hand.
We have enough to do sorting problems with the original Triumphs on this site.

They have a site of their own for their bikes. He needs to be over there.
If he ever wants to own and work on the older Triumphs, then THIS is the place.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think there’s two ways of saying that there is limited information available for new Triumphs on this site.

There’s a polite way, and the rude way which I’m sure if it was a face to face conversation the rude way wouldn’t happen.

We advertise ourselves as the britbike forum, last I checked modern Triumphs were Brit bikes (not like Royal Enfield which is Indian owned or BSA which is now owned by Mahindra). I’m not a fan of modern triumphs, but I’d never be impolite to someone that was, just for owning a modern Triumph.

If someone can answer their question, let them answer it... if they can’t.... don’t reply.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

3 members like this: Hawk6351, Noe, kurt fischer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
We don’t make the rules.

And there isn’t a rule against Hinckley bikes.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
@ Hawk6351 This is a good opportunity to buy another Triumph, but with a bigger engine.

There are some magnificently grumpy contributors to this forum, long may it continue.

DOPE
DOPE
Hawk6351, there's certainly is less knowledge about modern bikes here than over at triumphrat, to make one example.

most people here are quite friendly. you are welcome here as long as you find the conversation of interest to you.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1 with Kevin
Life is too short to be a MB.

Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
That's your opinion, Kevin and you're entitled to it. I don't share it.

The TRIUMPH RAT site was created to promote the dealers and owners of the "New" Triumphs by the manufacturer of those bikes.
That is the same manufacturer who, when he took over the TRIUMPH brand name, originally turned his back on the old bikes... until he
discovered he could make a buck by exploiting the "nostalgia" crowd imitating them ("Bonneville 100", "Thruxton," etc.)

I have been a "Triumph guy" since 1967. I've seen later Triumph history first-hand.
We have enough to do sorting problems with the original Triumphs on this site.

They have a site of their own for their bikes. He needs to be over there.
If he ever wants to own and work on the older Triumphs, then THIS is the place.

I bought a Triumph cruiser that I could afford, because I wanted something nice without the weekend warrior nonsense that usually comes with owning a Harley, or the condescending attitude that a lot of people have towards metric bikes... I’ve owned enough Jap numbers that I wanted something better and most people look fondly at the brand in general. You wanna help, help, you wanna be a turd because you have issues with how the company is run today, all I can say to you is that none of your complaints with triumph are my problem, so get off my post.

2008 Triumph America
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
I also wanna say, to the helpful commenters, thank you...one of the reasons I decided to ask is that I know doing stuff like I want to do is kinda old school thinking, traveling on what you have and making what you have be unique and yours. I really love this bike, she looks good, handles well, is comfortable for the most part... while I wouldn’t mind a Thunderbird maybe, there’s a big difference between the expense of buying a whole new bigger bike, and making mods and customizations one at a time...the sprocket conversion is easy, the stage one stuff exists.

I mainly asked about the big bore kits here because I’d been finding them listed all over for the older bikes and wasn’t sure if maybe the blocks were similar enough that they’d bolt up to the 865... and the twofold question about increasing bore size is wondering if the bottom end would be able to handle extra torc. I’ve never done anything like that and wanted to talk to some more seasoned riders who have maybe done bore kits on triumph engines before.

2008 Triumph America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would be very wary of removing the air box and fitting pod filters.
CV carbs are fussy buggers and designed to work with an air box. Most modern air boxes are pretty good, I would possibly look at how the air gets into the airbox, are there any silencing parts that can be removed, ribs that can be smoothed out, and a high flow air filter.

Usually fitting pod filters results in lots of dyno work and carb jets/needles/springs/modifications to end up with the same or less power than stock

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro No Senshi"
Kawasaki Ninja H2 "Fujin"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1 to above, CV carbs are design to work with right volume of air, installing pod filters + straight pipes will make a mixture too lean everywhere but on idle and max revs. You will need some dyno sessions to find out how to re-jet your carbs to male a bike operational. It was never a way to make a bike more powerful but noisier, you need mufflers to have proper low revs and a way to get to higher revs.
To make this engine developing more power you need bigger cylinder block, different cams and reworked cylinder head, and I never heard or read about those parts made for a Hinckley Triumph. They are certainly completely different from our old stuff being DOHC engines, so you can't adapt our "big block" to your engine. And Meriden Triumph big block is actually 750 ccm. smile.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Last edited by NickL; 11/03/20 7:51 am.
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster

2008 Triumph America

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com