Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
perfect.tommy
perfect.tommy
vancouver, canada
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi guys as a not to the past I fancy fitting a round type ammeter to my modern-day T100 Bonneville.

Please dont laugh but not wired up just as a dummy.

But with the headlamp bowl being curved or rounded I fear it will not sit flat.

Could somebody tell me how this work on a 60s Bonnie with the Amp Meter fitted to the Headlamp bowl.

Did those early bowls have a flat section pressed into the bowl for the meter to sit flat on?

I have no intention of wiring it up its purely cosmetic.

Recently bought my 1st ever motorcycle...a humble 1969 BSA Bantam B175...I am enjoying using my Bantam so much...does all I need.
My car that I use daily is an old series Landrover that I bought new 40 years ago and has just become tax free.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Have a decal made up and stick to the shell.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
They were only a dummy in the old triumphs and beezers anyway, after about 10 miles.
Useless pieces of garbage, all they indicated was how much the bike was vibrating.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
The ammeter is small, the headlight is large, and the hole for the ammeter is just a hole: no "flat" area or depression to mount it.

The ammeter is supposed to have a thin rubber O-ring under it as a gasket, and this O-ring compensates for any difference between the shapes of the two.

TJD Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah but if they vibrate to the right it is charging and to the left for discharge.

D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
All of mine have bounced from the + pin to the - pin at the speed of light.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
The headlamp shells are roughly spherical at that point, so a 1.5" hole has a pretty flat surface.

Whether your modern T100 one is similar I wouldn't know.

Last edited by koan58; 10/24/20 12:25 am. Reason: Realisation about the bike we're talking about.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Why wouldn't you wire it up? If you intend installing one surely a working one is that much better? Even if you wire up a battery monitor gauge instead, it would be useful.

K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
"Why wouldn't you wire it up? If you intend installing one surely a working one is that much better? Even if you wire up a battery monitor gauge instead, it would be useful."

I think a decal or fake won't compromise reliability as a real one will!

1 member likes this: Allan G
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Would not wire it up as the bike has a charge warning lamp fitted...

Also the bike has Can Bus electrics....I dont know enough about those systems and would not want to cause any problems.

On my old Classic BSA I fitted an LED charge warning lamp...shows one of 3 colors to show charge and bat volts on the move and when parked up....may consider one of those.

Very discrete.

Recently bought my 1st ever motorcycle...a humble 1969 BSA Bantam B175...I am enjoying using my Bantam so much...does all I need.
My car that I use daily is an old series Landrover that I bought new 40 years ago and has just become tax free.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I did the same on a bobber build. I used a rubber band around the ammeter case inside the headlight shell. Works like a charm

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Thanks Scott you must think lie I do.

Did it sit unevenly on the lamp bowl? wonder how neat it looks...or does it let water inside the bowl.

K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
Assuming that you’ll be using the smaller ammeter used in most British headlamps for many years, it requires a hole 1.625” dia (~41.3mm).

The bezel surface that actually sits on the shell is about 2-3mm wide, so OD ~ 45-47mm.

If you can find or make any flat washer, ring or bit of pipe with approximately these dimensions (the ID of ~1.625” is the important measure) then you will be able to place it on the headlamp shell and see how good a fit you get in various parts of its curvature.

Just bear in mind that things inside the shell may interfere with the depth of the ammeter body.
If this happens to be the case, you could fill the ammeter with clear resin (with the needle showing a charge haha?) and then shave the body more shallow.

Just thoughts.

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by koan58
Assuming that you’ll be using the smaller ammeter used in most British headlamps for many years, it requires a hole 1.625” dia (~41.3mm).

The bezel surface that actually sits on the shell is about 2-3mm wide, so OD ~ 45-47mm.

If you can find or make any flat washer, ring or bit of pipe with approximately these dimensions (the ID of ~1.625” is the important measure) then you will be able to place it on the headlamp shell and see how good a fit you get in various parts of its curvature.

Just bear in mind that things inside the shell may interfere with the depth of the ammeter body.
If this happens to be the case, you could fill the ammeter with clear resin (with the needle showing a charge haha?) and then shave the body more shallow.

Just thoughts.

Good idea I will try that.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com