Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#827071 10/19/20 4:43 am
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
what kind of job is it to install the tach drive in the rh side engine case? the more I get into this engine the less confidence I have in the job the guy did putting it together. finding a lot of things screwed up on the outside, hope internals are correct. anyway, I want to install the tach drive, do I have to take the case apart?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Providing you still have the two tangs on the oil pump, the drive just pushes in from the outside point and the 2x screws to hold the case down. Screw on. The tach cable and your away.

Always remember to remove the tach drive when going to remove the inner timing cover as this is how the oil pump tangs get broken.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Allen. looks like I still have the 2 tangs still on the pump. have to order the parts and install it now, but, the cover that held on the plate where the drive should of went only had 1 bolt holding the cover on. the other hole had the snapped off bolt in it, and the builder left it in there and just put cover on with 1 bolt. now I have to try and get broken bolt out with ez out or something

G
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
G
Tach drive bolts are 2BA, first try, use a small centre punch , make a small dimple near the perimeter, then try to drive the screw round to unscrew, this works most of the time. next try, if that fails , punch the dead centre and drill through with an 1/8 th drill, left hand drill if you can get one, then take a small torx bit and drive it into the hole, then unscrew.

As well as the spindle there are other sealing details, an O ring for the drive spindle, gasket , tab washer, and where the tach drive cable screws on another O ring to seal the cable. the cable should have a flat wire reinforcement and heat shroud at the lower end.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
1 member likes this: Allan G
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Gavin, I'm going to try the center punch method when I get home tonight.

B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Success, tried putting a dimple in perimeter, no luck. was able to drill the center and tap the smallest size ez out I had, a #3 into center and the broken part of bolt finally let go and came out, even saved the threads.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
GOOD WORK!

Patience brings rewards.

1 member likes this: Bob E
G
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
G
Result,stay tach less , unless you regularly go past 60 in 2nd. its extra weight.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
1 member likes this: Bob E
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Gavin, I bought a new speedo and tach for this project a few years ago, and I want to use it, mostly to bring it back to stock configuration. what really pissed me off was the engine builder for my engine would give me back the engine with that tach bolt broke off, 1 bolt holding the cover on. I really did not pay much attention till I took cover off and seen it. this has been an ongoing project, off and on for about 5 years and im just starting to get back into it and a lot of work to go.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Result,stay tach less , unless you regularly go past 60 in 2nd. its extra weight.

I need the tacho then...................

2 members like this: Bob E, Allan G
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
so I got the parts for the tach drive install. question I have is there is a tube that slides over the tach drive shaft. does this tube secure the tach drive to the tangs on the oil pump? kind of just slide over the tangs and keep the 2 pieces together? thanks

B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Yes, the drive is two pieces, although it's not usually not obvious because the two pieces are usually stuck together. Until recently, I always thought it was one piece.

Right, the tube does not secure the drive to the oil pump, it just keeps everything in line, controls radial thrust on the drive.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Mark. yea, it is 2 pieces, the tube slides right off the drive. going to have to grease it up good to keep the 2 parts together when I go to lower it down into the pump tabs

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I wouldn’t worry about grease, oil fill find its way around everything and even up the cable.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com