Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DJinCA
DJinCA
SF Bay Area, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 61
DavidP 57
kevin 54
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 23
Lannis 20
Newest Members
BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland, Daideo, kenjon
12,210 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Magnetoman, Gordon Gray, Steve Erickson, trevinoz, Dave Swanson, jimq), 26 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,535
Posts776,179
Members12,210
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#826924 10/17/20 4:16 pm
S
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
S
Good afternoon,
I inherited this customized TR6 project from 1971 and was thinking about converting the drum brakes to disk. I saw several threads about it but most were about pre 71 bikes. Someone aware of an easy way to swab the entire front including yoke. It’s already heavily customized, so the goal is not authenticity. If a Japanese would fit, I wouldn’t have a problem with that.
Thank you in advance for your help

Triumphs on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Any OIF forks will fit your bike - the whole lot is needed as the wheel is wider with a disk.
I can't help with other bikes fitting but it's basically getting the correct stem size/length.

While you might be lucky to get a direct swap with only spannering to consider, a decent shop should be able to sort a custom stem fairly easily. - or just use your existing one? I don't know enough to safely recomend how you'd do that.

You could source a stem buy buying a lower yoke- tree, from eBay, then sell your complete original forks.

2 members like this: StefanFL
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Stefan,

Originally Posted by StefanFL
customized TR6
converting the drum brakes to disk.
Front brake
Does the bike still have the original frame? These are known as "OIF" (Oil In Frame, engine oil carried in a large-diameter frame spine tube) to differentiate them from a "dry frame" (engine oil in a separate tank).

If the bike is OIF and assuming you want a Triumph disc-brake front end, read the recent thread Using a Triumph Front Disc brake on a OIF A65.

Otoh, if the bike is dry-frame, essentially the same process just the lower fork yoke is different.

Rear brake
Triumph triples and twins were fitted with rear disc from '75/'76 respectively. However, they also had left-foot-shift, right-foot-brake. Not impossible to work it on to your bike but ime the pain far outweighs the gain. frown

Hth.

Regards,

S
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
S
Thank you for the quick reply, it is an OIF model. I will check the thread.
For the disk brake on the back, I have an US model, it’s set up that way.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by StefanFL
Thank you for the quick reply, it is an OIF model. I will check the thread.
For the disk brake on the back, I have an US model, it’s set up that way.
If it is a '71, US or home, it had a right shift motor and a left foot brake with a conical drum. Adding a Triumph rear disk to a '71 will be, as Stuart said, a lot of work.

DJinCA

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
We did the reverse one time for a customer who was tired of having to rebuild the MC for a disc rear. He actually wished to use a drum on a right-brake Triumph. Had a crossover shaft made up, similar to an early right-brake Sportster. He never came back to complain, I can only assume that it worked (at least as well as a comical rear brake ever worked laughing .)
BTW: I asked Mitch Klemph about using a T160 rear brake on a T150 once. He said that the T160 swingarm was longer. Don't know if this also is true for the T140.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com