Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Bikeosaurus
Bikeosaurus
Canberra, Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 69
reverb 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 17
Newest Members
Sinner66, DucatiPete, mk31755, MAM, Jonez69
11,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
12 members (Tridentman, russrudolph, JubeePrince, BeezaBryan, Steve Erickson, vintagebike, Hugh Jörgen, Adam M., kommando, GrandPaul, C.Flint, konon), 35 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,253
Posts757,980
Members11,977
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hello; I have a CWC front wheel and the factory original Dunlop rear. The front one has the chrome peeled off and is too rusty; the bike was in that condition when I bought it.
The spokes are SS Buchanan s. In the front I have two discs.

I see that the normal procedure is to remove the spokes then send the wheel to the chroming shop.
My doubt is:
When I put back again the spokes; how do I know the off sets to have the two discs right? Even with the single disc in the rear? The rear wheel seems that have more off set to one side...

Thanks

Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's been a while since I re-laced a wheel. As I remember I just set the spokes in four piles as I removed them, right outer, right inner, left outer, left inner. Wrap each pile with some tape and label, then put them back from where they came.

"The Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, once they've tried everything else" Winston Churchill
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by reverb
I see that the normal procedure is to remove the spokes then send the wheel to the chroming shop.
My doubt is:
When I put back again the spokes; how do I know the off sets to have the two discs right? Even with the single disc in the rear? The rear wheel seems that have more off set to one side...

Thanks

Why couldn't you just measure it before disassembly?

DJinCA

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
My doubt is:
When I put back again the spokes; how do I know the off sets to have the two discs right? Even with the single disc in the rear?

Measure both rim offsets before removing the spokes and make notes/drawings including spoke pattern, lengths and head angles also check the front rim is centralised between the fork legs and the rear rim is on the frame centre line or change the offset measurement to correct the offset.

The discs bolt to the hub so aren't affected by offset (assuming you will not be changing/modifying the hubs?) so as long as the hub is refitted in the same position then the discs will be too.

The rear wheel seems that have more off set to one side...

The T140 disc rear rim has considerable offset and is handed. The standard rear rim has a 3x1 dimple pattern, the three dimples in a row must go on the left-hand/drive side.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 10/16/20 9:09 pm.
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
The normal condition is to fit a new rim, re chroming old rims is for non rideable museum pieces. Save the old rim by all means, for posterity , do not ride on a rechromed rim, polishing out the pits means a weaker rim.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hi David; a decade ago I laced HD and custom rims but this is a different scenario due to the bike has all those parts assembled and working and only selecting one side or the other side spokes is not enough I think.

Hi DJin Ca; not so easy to obtain a true measurement.

Hi L.A.B.; I do not understand your reference regarding rear rim. By the way; the rear brake is Japanese not original; the position very possible is not the same.
I really want to change but I do not find any Lockheed caliper in the right condition.

Hi Gavin; of course that is the first thing but no any new 40 spokes Triumph rim to sell here. Few years ago I bought one from CWC in SS that the Customs stopped it and cost me an small fortune.
Also I am buying almost all the top end for this bike from USA and is way too much money.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Hi L.A.B.; I do not understand your reference regarding rear rim.

Well, what is it that you don't understand?

By the way; the rear brake is Japanese not original; the position very possible is not the same.
I really want to change but I do not find any Lockheed caliper in the right condition.

Yes, you've mentioned it before so the rim offset might not be the standard dimension if the caliper mounting plate is a different width.

R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Hi L.A.B. about the dimples in a row but observing the wheel I see that have one spoke alternated from those holes to each side; but the main problem is to obtain a true measurement of the off sets

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Hi L.A.B. about the dimples in a row but observing the wheel I see that have one spoke alternated from those holes to each side; but the main problem is to obtain a true measurement of the off sets

The spokes alternate in the usual way but the rim dimples do not.

Assuming it has the standard T140 rear wheel rim there should be three dimples in a line on the left/drive side and one on the right or what's called a 3x1 dimple pattern so the 'three' must go on the left/drive side.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by L.A.B.; 10/17/20 3:30 pm.
1 member likes this: Tigernuts
R
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Yes; I have it that way. Is the original rim.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com