Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 31
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon W. Whitley, R Moulding, Gordon Gray, Richrd, raf940), 22 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,503
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#826063 10/09/20 5:42 pm
L
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
L
Bike is a 78 T-140E with twin AMAL Mk2s. So over the summer the bike was running fine, but my rocker box gaskets started leaking quite a bit, so I replaced them, set the valve clearances and re-assembled everything. Now the bike isn't running right. It pulls strong from a stop but as soon as you get up to speed at higher RPMs it misfires. I' tried re-synching the carbs which i've done before after owning the bike 10 years now, still getting the same issue. Plugs were new N4C and after I took my test ride they look lean. In neutral with the bike running if I rev it up it will miss and pop out the left side muffler. I re-checked my intake valve clearances and they were dead on. I haven't had a chance to check the exhaust valve clearances yet. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Triumphs on eBay
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I wonder why the rocker box gaskets developed significant leakage in the first place.
The tightness of the bolts and nuts do need checking periodically. Both the headbolts and rocker box.

When the boxes have been removed to replace the gaskets, that would have been the best time to retorque the head (if its been running fine for years it likely doesn’t need it, but as you’re having issues I’d check it anyway).

Any new gaskets will compress a little over time, especially in the first 1000 miles after installation.
I’d suggest that you check all top end torques first, then re-set valve clearances, then see how it goes.

If the bike was off the road for some months, you have drained and replaced with new fuel?

You sound confident in carb synchronising, so I won’t waste time on that.
It would be unlikely to exhibit problems at higher throttle anyway, more suggestive of tight valve clearances, plug/coil possible but less likely.

Is it contact breaker ignition, or is this the first of the Lucas Rita?

Best of.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Do I understand correctly, that it was running fine before the service?

What all did you disturb when you were working on the engine? It sounds like you've double checked some of your work but maybe not all of it. The first thing I think I'd do at this point was put the old spark plugs back in that you removed during the service and see if it changes anything.

1 member likes this: laterdaze79
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds like an issue I had that turned out to be loose wire connectors on the ignition coils. Others on the forum have had that happen also. Check all your ignition wire connections.
It ran fine until I got up to cruising speed (40-50) at which point engine vibration would cause the connector to "dance".

Al Eckstadt
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
My thoughts exactly. Something moved. As long as you are checking connections, clean them up and squirt a little dielectric grease into them.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Carb mount nuts coming loose letting air sneak in?

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by koan58
Is it contact breaker ignition, or is this the first of the Lucas Rita?

A '78 ('X' model year) T140E would originally have had contact breakers. RITA (and negative earth/ground) from '79 ('A') model year.

Originally Posted by BigBars

AMAL Mk2s (T140E) are rubber mounted.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
Originally Posted by BigBars

AMAL Mk2s (T140E) are rubber mounted.
Yes, and any air leaks would create misfires at idle and low revs anyway. As I understand it, his misfires happens at higher rpms.

SR

L
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
L
Looked over my connections at the ignition coils and what do you know? Connector to the left ignition coil wasn't connected. I assume it got pulled loose when I removed the battery trickle charger leads from the battery or it rattled loose at some point. Thanks for the replies from you all, I appreciate it!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by Joe, on Flickr

2 members like this: Morgan aka admin, slofut
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
They have a saying over on the Honda forum ... ninety percent of carburetor issues are electrical grin beerchug

'68 Bonnie, '70 TR6r
'74 CL360
trail 70's and minitrails
L
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
L
Originally Posted by slofut
They have a saying over on the Honda forum ... ninety percent of carburetor issues are electrical grin beerchug

Lol!

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
glad you told us what was solution👍

Triumph T140V Bonneville 1976

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com