Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#821834 08/30/20 9:13 pm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
D
Was riding at 60mph when the bike started to intermittently slow and then some backfiring out of the right exhaust pipe. funny how all the possible causes went quickly through my head! I slowed down and turned off and it seemed ok so I carried on a bit but then decided to stop and check. It was the points cover hanging loose by one screw and shorting out the points, I suppose. I don't know if the making and breaking was causing sparks on the wrong stroke- that could have been nasty. Anyway, I took the cover right off and all was fine.

I think I left the screws only finger tight after fitting a new gasket and then forgot about it.

Dave

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Welcome to the Fraternity of Forgetfulness!

I once left on a three-day trip right after an oil change. About a mile from home I had the sudden urge to pull over and verify that I'd tightened the oil tank drain bolt. I hadn't. Disaster averted!

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
D
I think I have been there a while. I once left the oil cap off my car after checking before a weekend break. I went 80 miles each way and drove around a lot while I was there. Didn't check again. When I got home there was hardly any oil left in it having all blown out everywhere. Was ok, thank goodness!. Oil light didn't come on. Left the gearbox filler cap off the Triumph 650 but not too much came out but enough to make my right foot skid about on the footpeg.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 09/02/20 7:09 am.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com