Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Richrd
For some reason it makes me think of gumby....... .

Dos Honduros. Goldwing motocross

Not in your wildest dreams would I even think of destroying two gold wings on purpose in such a manner.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/07/20 12:14 am. Reason: Spellitright
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
But since you’ve invoked inappropriate dirt bike memes...

Just for you Richard ... madness on the half shell!

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/06/20 9:55 pm.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Contrast that with me on the Firebird last week up near Suches scouting out routes.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/R5GLzYZs_N4 [/video]

Alas Not very exciting.

(sigh)

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/06/20 10:21 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
maaybe if someone has an extra 250 dirtbike to loan, I may tag along.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
The old hound is on everyone's heels, and I can hear it barking behind me...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sorry to report boys, but at least one old hound has found me. Sat, Aug 1, I had an appointment with a BBQ sandwich in Brevard, NC. Really a road test for my new-to-me R100 which had only just gotten running. Topped a LH sweeper on NC 281 near Toxaway and found storm silt covering the entire lane. It was all over in 1 second, with me and the bike separately (and inelegantly) sliding down our lane, both on our left sides.

I won't be back on a bike anytime soon, and will probably not even be driving by the get together date, so I have to bow out.

Still happy to supply route information for those wanting to visit the Toccoa Military Museum or other area trips. I even have primitive camping facilities for 4 or 5 (and bike repair) if they want to explore the fabulous roads around the GA-NC-SC corner, before or after.

I'll forward full contact info to Gordon, Lannis, Rich, Marlin & Gumby. A PM here gets me an email notification.

All the best.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by RF Whatley
The old hound is on everyone's heels, and I can hear it barking behind me...

Wow, that's ugly. How did you get you and the bike off the travel lanes? or did that happen naturally?

There'll be a mechanical fix for THAT, I'm sure, involving exotic-alloy plates and expensive little screws!

Heal up quick and painlessly ....

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Darn darn darn Richard. Not freakin fair. Heal up dude.

🙏🏼 On the way.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/07/20 12:06 am.
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Did that to both of my collar bones. Fortunately , years apart! Hope you are coping. As ever, if you need anything...

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
...same we are all nearby.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wow, that's ugly. How did you get you and the bike off the travel lanes? or did that happen naturally?

There'll be a mechanical fix for THAT, I'm sure, involving exotic-alloy plates and expensive little screws!

Heal up quick and painlessly ....
• I got to thank the Lake Toxaway Fire & Rescue Squad for that. They arrived in seconds. After making sure I knew the President, they got me up. That's when it got scary. The ambulance was from Transylvania Regional. But that's another, long fireside story.

The Fire & Rescue guys scooped up my bike and took it back to the station. No towing fee or anything. Then they talked the NC State Patrol out of a ticket. ("That bike is way too old !") Then they stored it for free until my brother could pick it up. Four firemen then lifted it onto his trailer. As restitution, a huge donation way made to their Christmas Party fund.

My lovely bride of 40 years picked me up. I talked so much about the sandwich that she decided on some drive-thru dining on the way home.

• Precisely 22 to be exact !! Not clear at this point if the thread pattern was SAE, DIN, or ISO.

• I marked each spot that hurt with grape jelly to help the doctors...

The bone doesn't hurt, but my torso is bruised all over.

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
DANG!!!!!

That's gonna leave a mark, I think...

Sorry man, but glad you ain't dead.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Me and another guy on our Guzzi Centauros (we had matching ones) were riding home over the Blue Ridge from our December 2004 "Third Saturday SW Virginia Moto Guzzi Lunch Ride" ... it was about 36 degrees and had not rained in weeks, so we weren't worried about ice ... we were riding up the twisty little "Alleghany Springs Road" from the valley at Shawsville VA up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, having a great time ...

... when we rode onto a little wooden bridge under shady trees over a trout stream, at about 45 MPH. The bridge was covered with glare ice, you couldn't even walk on it. The bikes both went over like mousetraps snapping shut, no swerving and thinking you can catch it, just WHAM and we were down.

The bikes slid across the bridge into the ditch on the other side of the bridge, I fetched up against the bridge railing, and he slid down the middle of the road.

I had whacked the bridge deck with my helmet and fallen hard on my side, so I was seeing stars and had the wind knocked out of me. Greg (the other guy) had slid off the ice and got on his feet before I did, and helped me sort of crawl off the bridge onto the road - the bridge was too slick to get to my feet on.

Greg had "Been There Done That" before ... prior to coming to see how I was, he went over to the bikes, which were still idling on their sides, and hit the kill switches before the oil pickups noticed that they weren't in the oil any more! He saved both engines with quick thinking.

When I staggered to my feet he said "Stop. Adrenaline is pumping, you could be hurt really bad and not know it yet. Try to raise your arms above your head." So I raised my my hands up high, and he said "Good - neither one of us broke a rib or collarbone - if we had, we couldn't do that."

We checked the bikes, beat the foot and hand levers back to where we could use them, and rode home (about 120 miles). When I walked into the house, Fay instantly knew I'd been down - my helmet was abraded, my gear shredded, even my left boot ripped up. But all the gear had done its job - not a scratch on me.

I was so sore for the next three days I dreaded getting out of bed in the morning ....

So I can imagine how YOU'RE feeling with an actual bone coming to bits!!

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
RF sorry to hear about your spill. I was looking forward to meeting you. Speedy recovery! Dave

2012 BMW R1200RT
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dammm if. Now who's going to tell the stupid jokes?

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
and a Honda?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe your better looking younger brother can drive you over in the car for a beer

Rich

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
and a Honda?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
OUCH!
I broke mine riding a bicycle, but not nearly that badly. Mine was only in two pieces.
Hope you have a nice recliner to sleep in, getting out of bed is seriously difficult.
So glad that it wasn't worse. Heal well.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Damnit Richard.....what everybody else said about “glad it wasn’t worst”. IF you get cabin fever I will be MORE than happy to ferry you both ways. Consider at least our group dinner Saturday........we can wait on you hand and foot and all you have to do is sit there. I’m not joking.......it’s doable and you sir are a BIG part of what this site is all about.

Rest up, heal quickly and consider it?

Your friend in NC, Gordon

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I might've been able to fill in with that scenario, but it ain't happening for me, either.

Even though I'm old and gray, I still have a 4th grader & 9th grader about to start covid-era school right about the time of the camp-out; my wyfe can't deal with all that is involved, without me pitching in.

How many BritBike forum mods does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

ONE.

He holds the lightbulb, and the world revolves around him...

I'll be sending some Malcolm "BritBodger" Dixon memorabilia to Gordon, for a few folks to take something home to remember him with.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 08/07/20 12:29 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Damn...makes me cringe just looking at it eek Heal well and quickly Richard.
Gumby-thanks for the leads, opn lodging. Grampy doesn't like sleeping on the ground.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Life member
Life member
R.F.! Dang...
I will be riding down on the Hinckly but will accept offers of a loaner 2sport to participate. Heh

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Just wanted to say for any of you riding down. If you want ( just PM me) I can supply you your own cooler and camp chair for the weekend......no worries.

I also have a twin ( easily fits in a two person tent) air mattress I’m bringing along. First come first served.

For riders if there is anything else you might need that I can help with just let me know.

Gordon in NC

Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
It sounds like a real great camp. Wish I could join but its a nogo across the pond..

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support BritBike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British MotorCycle Forum on Facebook
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

I lost both arms in a motorcycle accident.
I think there’s something wrong with my legs too, but I just can’t put my finger on it.

How am I doing ? laughing

RF Whatley
NE Georgia, USA
1 member likes this: Semper Gumby
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
What a coincidence, I just had a camouflage jacket stolen from me by a guy who lost his legs in a motorcycle accident.

I put the word out ... "You can hide, but you can't run!"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Bill, when are you going south .

Rich

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
and a Honda?
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com