Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
kevin #813803 06/24/20 12:19 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by kevin
youre right that excesz caloriez turn into fat, but if the goal is to lose weight rather than to gain or maintain it, the form thoae calories take is important too.

human metabolism preferentially burns carbohydrates in your daily diet -- processed into glycogen and stored inthe liver and muscle tissue. it isnt fat, which is stored separately in adipose tizsue and takes more steps to break down.

so long as your body can produce sufficient metabolic energy from carb intake it will not process stored fatty acids. by starving your system of carbohydratez for a period, your glycogen stores are depleted and your body turns to metabolizing stored fatty acids in tbe adipocytes. if you ingest carbs again, that process ceases.

there is a lag because you have to eliminate stored glycogen before fat metabolism begins. so it takez a sustained lack of carbohydratez for a few dayz before that procesz becomes chemically established.

just cutting calories wont work unless it is severe, because your body can compensate for reduced carbs by slowing your metabolism rather than processing fat. if you just reduce total carbs, you get tired before you lose weight.

nitice that i am not a dietician, and i dont play one on tv. i may be wrong about carb metabolism, but i do know what causes me to gain and lose weight.

mezcal is very bad.

Well Kevin , it is what have been told by a geriatric dietician .
And I have lost a reasonable amount of weight ( lots more to go )
Carbs in the morning & at lunch when you are active & will burn them off
None with your evening meal unless you have a torrid sex life ( and I don't want to know about that either )
Proteins in the evening because you need them to replenish body tissue which is mostly done at night.
Similar for calcium, beter at bed time than on your cornflakes.

SWMBO never ate after 6 pm and her evening meal was always veggies , usually as a thin soup or stew.
I did try to do that with her but of course you wake up famished so need toget upearly enough for a big breakie and I am not a morning person.
Now days there is very little meat in my diet, usually cut very thin & stir fried in a curry then frozen for a nuke when I am in a hurry to eat in the evening.

Asians do eat a lot of rice, it is a staple in their diet but the trick for them is rather like beer drinking.
It is what you have with it that makes the difference and most real Asian rice dishes have little more in them but rice & spice and the individual servicng sizes are quite small.
A side serve of fried rice at any Chinese resturant in the West is more than a complete even meal in most of Asia.

As for me, not that I matter, I have gone back to growing my own veggies & hope to be mostly self sufficient in a year or so once I work out what will grow where I am now & the curent diet has too much carbs , about the right amount of veggies & most protein from eggs & fish .

And just for lanais,
As an ex metallurgist, I cook only is glass or stainless steel .
All metal oxides are alkaline, abrasive & poisonous , some a bit more than others.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 06/24/20 12:22 pm.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
tridentt150v #813825 06/24/20 4:24 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hello; is your plan and seems worked good for you but I think that you do not have all the facts straight.

I mentioned that I eat 1 cup of rice per day and I do not add anything to the rice. I do plenty of cardiovascular exercise several days a week.
I do not eat processed foods. I even do not have a functional kitchen right now so I eat fresh fruits and not cook anything "prepared" most fancy is an omelette.
I mentioned that the monks in China eat similar but they do not have fat and I have fat. The only difference is that I eat by night too.
-I lived in Japan and the portions, sizes are small but a lot of them. Ramen is not small in any place that I stayed.
All is carbohydrates man; all that is not protein or straight fat and the body transform all in fat.
British ex colonies countries eat at different hours than the other European countries and here we eat the other way. I do not see more fat guys in Italy than in Australia for example. In fact most are too big and fat or with too much belly.
I stick to genes. Right genes, you can eat whatever.

tridentt150v #813836 06/24/20 6:24 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
What's next, synthetic haggis?

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
tridentt150v #813852 06/24/20 9:07 pm
DOPE
DOPE
there is no way that could be worse than the real thing.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
kevin #813854 06/24/20 9:14 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
there is no way that could be worse than the real thing.

It's not that bad, you know. In England, especially in the North, every butcher shop makes its own haggis, and has it sliced up available for customers right out there with the steaks and chops and shop-made sausages.

They're all a little different, but most of them are very much like our own "scrapple" or "livermush" or "panhaas". I'm always willing to try it!

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
tridentt150v #813857 06/24/20 9:43 pm
DOPE
DOPE
lannis, if we sat down together and somebody put that in front of us, i would have to drink for atleast an hour before i could join you in eating it

and my grandparents fed me scrambled eggs and brains

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
kevin #813862 06/24/20 10:20 pm
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
made with passion . [Linked Image from smallcitybigpersonality.co.uk]

kevin #813868 06/24/20 10:44 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
lannis, if we sat down together and somebody put that in front of us, i would have to drink for atleast an hour before i could join you in eating it

and my grandparents fed me scrambled eggs and brains

If you ever looked up the amount of cholesterol in hog brains, you'd have a heart attack...

tridentt150v #813879 06/25/20 1:21 am
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Read the Haggis label. Anything that has to be microwaved for TEN MINUTES ain't going on my plate!

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
HughdeMann #813880 06/25/20 1:29 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
Read the Haggis label. Anything that has to be microwaved for TEN MINUTES ain't going on my plate!

That's strange. In a normal 1100W microwave like mine, ANY food product that you put in there for 10 minutes is going to be burned to a crisp, or maybe explode all over the inside of the oven. And Haggis is like scrapple - it's already cooked, you're just doing the final frying or broiling to brown the outside of it and get the texture right.

When we were staying in Kirk Michael on the Isle of Man, we'd walk up the high street each day to the butcher shop to pick up something for breakfast the next morning, and we'd get Haggis, and take it home and fry it up until it were crispy on the outside ... it was very good despite being made with oats instead of cornmeal.

I do note that in British kitchens, the refrigerator is only half-height and sits under the counter, the cooktop is very narrow ... perhaps the microwave ovens are only 150 watts or something?

Nope, don't know.

Lannis

tridentt150v #813895 06/25/20 7:20 am
Life member
Life member
Though mostly 900W our microwave is 1000W
And as for why our half size refrigerators (compared with US) is because we do not drink beer that has to be chilled to disguise the taste laughing

BeezaBryan

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
BeezaBryan #813907 06/25/20 10:28 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan
Though mostly 900W our microwave is 1000W
And as for why our half size refrigerators (compared with US) is because we do not drink beer that has to be chilled to disguise the taste laughing

Actually I like the concept behind the little refrigerators ... it looks to be because Brits do many more "small" shopping trips, buying food fresh, than we do here, where we tend to go once every week or 10 days and buy $300 worth of stuff and fill up a big refrigerator.

When you have little butcher shops and bakeries right up the street where you can go every day or two and not try to store things, you would tend not to have a need for so much cold storage. Problem is ... very few little butcher shops and bakeries here!

Lannis

Lannis #813943 06/25/20 2:37 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
Actually I like the concept behind the little refrigerators ...
OK, you want to see a wild segue?

You mentioned little refrigerators (well, it was already mentioned, but when you replied was when it hit me)... I have a little refrigerator for my garage, that i am planning to take out to my new shop, but we only have a generator out there, and it only runs when we are there needing power, about 1/4 of every other 2 or 3 days. So, not practical unless I get utility power run to the site.

I've been calling all over city, county, and utility offices since about mid-March, trying to BEGIN arrangements to have permanent power run to our "ranch". All I get are recorded messages with promises to return my call.

(WRGMG)

I have left probably 2 dozen carefully worded, clearly stated messages with my name, phone number, property info, etc. only to have NONE of my calls returned.

NONE.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
GrandPaul #813949 06/25/20 3:25 pm
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
I have left probably 2 dozen carefully worded, clearly stated messages with my name, phone number, property info, etc. only to have NONE of my calls returned.

your county may have other priorities for the foreseeable future ?
Dr. Mark Escott, the Austin-Travis County interim health authority, said in a June 24 press conference that area hospitals are on track to exceed capacity by mid-July if the community is not successful in reversing a recent spike in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations.

Austin Public Health reported 56 hospital admissions June 23, and the moving seven-day average of daily hospitalizations has spiked from 11.3 to 39.3 over the course of two weeks from June 9-23.

Meanwhile, the doubling time of COVID-19, a metric local officials follow to monitor the exponential spread of the virus, has dropped from a steady rate of roughly 44 days through the spring—when stay-home orders were in place—to just 17.9 days as of June 23.

"If we're not successful in decreasing that doubling time, by mid-July we're going to exceed that hospital capacity," Escott said. "If you don't need to go out, don't go out. If you don't need to congregate with people, don't do it. We need to transition our mindset back to what it was in April.

Last edited by quinten; 06/25/20 3:55 pm.
GrandPaul #813951 06/25/20 3:40 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Actually I like the concept behind the little refrigerators ...

I've been calling all over city, county, and utility offices since about mid-March, trying to BEGIN arrangements to have permanent power run to our "ranch". All I get are recorded messages with promises to return my call.

(WRGMG)

NONE.

It's a little different here in a small rural area with a consumer owned electrical co-op ... I know the name of the guy who I would go see for that service. Takes me about 20 minutes to get over there.

I could at least talk to him about what the chances are that I could get utility service where I need it. I've never had trouble with that ...

I suggest a personal visit ... ?

Lannis

tridentt150v #813957 06/25/20 4:33 pm
knuckle head
knuckle head
As an electrical contractor I dealt with utility providers often...Getting their attention was less of a problem than getting them to do what I wanted...I rarely did residential work, and not knowing how utilities where Paul is, he may want have a contractor make the initial contact...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons.."I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
tridentt150v #813958 06/25/20 4:43 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...if you have 110V the stamped Watts on the appliance are different I think.

I understand those big refrigerators (that in most kitchens/houses around the World do not fit) but I do not understand those enormous big kitchens in mansions there in USA, Canada and other places where are 2 or 4 ovens; 2 sinks; 2 or more everything. These kitchens are around 50sq meters or more.
What I do not get it is if I have those several million Dollars to buy (and then pay the every year taxes) and maintain those enormous houses I for sure do not interested to pass "my life" in the kitchen cooking. Of course many have a chef or people to cook but actually the owners only do an occasionally breakfast I guess and then go to a restaurant with a great chef.
But seems a thing from the real state market that invents amenities like home cinema (most decide to go to the cinema to do something, to go out; to see people, etc not to be all time in home and in that case why you need a cinema type seat?!) and other stupid stuff

Lannis #813969 06/25/20 6:22 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's a little different here in a small rural area with a consumer owned electrical co-op ... I know the name of the guy who I would go see for that service. Takes me about 20 minutes to get over there.

I could at least talk to him about what the chances are that I could get utility service where I need it. I've never had trouble with that. I suggest a personal visit ...

I called the Pedernales Electric Co-Op and they forwarded me an application; they said to just provide the Tax office Property ID and they'd work with that.

Thanx.

reverb #813980 06/25/20 7:18 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by reverb
...if you have 110V the stamped Watts on the appliance are different I think.

I understand those big refrigerators (that in most kitchens/houses around the World do not fit) but I do not understand those enormous big kitchens in mansions there in USA, Canada and other places where are 2 or 4 ovens; 2 sinks; 2 or more everything. These kitchens are around 50sq meters or more.
What I do not get it is if I have those several million Dollars to buy (and then pay the every year taxes) and maintain those enormous houses I for sure do not interested to pass "my life" in the kitchen cooking. Of course many have a chef or people to cook but actually the owners only do an occasionally breakfast I guess and then go to a restaurant with a great chef.

Well, I can give you my perspective as someone who enjoys cooking and has a nice home-style professional kitchen, but who shares your amazement at some of my relatives that have huge granite/marble/stainless steel kitchens with 2 of everything that cost $150,000 to put in.

The best analogy that I can think of is people who, instead of buying a normal 4WD pickup or automobile for $35,000, spend $100,000 or more on a Range Rover or Cadillac Escalade. It won't do a thing that a Subaru or a Dodge won't do in real-world situations, but they enjoy the feeling of luxury, they enjoy having "the best", they like showing it off to their friends and neighbors and talking about what it will do.

They SOMETIMES use all of the features in the kitchen when they are Hosting a big family Christmas dinner or something, but still, my grandmother hosted bigger dinners that were as good or better in a kitchen 1/20 the size and with 5% of the features.

I think that they just make people "feel good", it's something they always wanted, they can "afford" it (whatever that means - sometimes tradeoffs, sometimes credit) and by gum they're going to have it.

Less said the better about big workshops full of motorcycles - I'd be going from preaching to meddling!

Lannis

tridentt150v #813981 06/25/20 7:25 pm
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I visited friends in Baton Rouge Louisiana several years ago.

The best laid-out, most beautiful kitchens I ever saw were there.

My Louisiana friends told me:
"The kitchen is the HEART of the home.
When we entertain, everyone drifts into the kitchen anyway, so why not make it the best room in the house?"

Makes sense to me.
I am now too old to build a new home but if I did, I'd follow the Louisiana model.

tridentt150v #813984 06/25/20 7:57 pm
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The measure of true wealth is where one doesn't know where one's kitchen is. I look forward to that day.

Dibnah #813986 06/25/20 8:05 pm
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
old time american farm house kitchens were often one of the bigger rooms in the house .
( if the farmer was at all prosperous )
one 6 room house i lived in had 2 fireplaces , back to back in the fancy parlors .
and 3 stoves in the kitchen .

a full wood burning , 4 top cook stove , with an oven below and 2 warming ovens above ... for winter time cooking

A wood burning , 2 top , trash burner stove ... a much smaller stove used to take the edge off those cool mornings .

and a big white enameled gas stove , with two ovens , 4 gas burners with the griddle in the middle .

it was all well shop-worn by the time i lived in the house , but that kitchen was big and and honestly displayed a history
of feeding at least a couple Generations of farm folk .
you could still build a Primo kitchen around
that white enamel gas stove ... a relic of the late 40s or early 50s ... they command top dollar now .
A fancy parlor is just for show
the kitchen is the heart of the home ... if a man doesn't know where his own kitchen is , I'd rather party with the help

tridentt150v #813992 06/25/20 9:12 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...what you say is a thing of rural areas. If you live in an apartment in a city like most people in the World, the spaces are other. If you live alone like many of the new generations, you live in an small apartment or super small apartments or condos like in Paris, Tokyo; Milan etc. These new generations and even more in the big cities do not mind about entertainment in the house or do not have enough friends etc so they go out and the entertainment that I see is mostly in cafes, bars, pubs, restaurants etc then you take the train to go home to take a shower and sleep. People even do not have a car (that could be so strange for USA people) they take the train in Europe, Asia and the bus in the rest of the America (however, there is more cars in the Americas than the other places do to the distances still are long and there are space in the cities and towns)

I do not like tiny living but I appreciated that is possible in places like Japan; that the people respect others and respect the place where they live. In those places you do not live thinking to buy the fancy car or the enormous house because the senses are full with many more stuff.

-Also seems that in America we like and use more gas (flame) cook tops than in Europe that use induction a lot.
I have gas; micro wave; vapor; grill; and induction.

tridentt150v #814048 06/26/20 9:21 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
WRGMG, Mankind's ability to intentionally remain ignorant on a subject whilst expressing an opinion based on myth and social media posts.

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

1 member likes this: henryanthony
R Moulding #814058 06/26/20 11:39 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by R Moulding
WRGMG, Mankind's ability to intentionally remain ignorant on a subject whilst expressing an opinion based on myth and social media posts.
The tragedy is that in the most serious of cases, the root of the ignorance is the very public school system the we (the taxpayers) have paid for; the systematic erasing of history has progressed to the point that they are essentially recording "alternative history" AS IT HAPPENS now. What is occurring before our eyes is being described and touted as as something else entirely.

The result is an entire generation that has not been taught significant swaths of history that would have informed them of their destructive, deadly ignorance in a peaceful classroom setting...

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com