Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
quinten 75
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Daytona72, Kurtis Flying Tiger, Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe
11,846 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (BrizzoBrit, Lew101, Gordon Gray, robcurrie, HughdeMann), 24 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
qbeanie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Q
Very disappointed. Newly installed pump and kick kick kick. No flow out prv. Observed a pulse of dribbles on the oil return to tank during kicking. Stopped kicking after 30 minutes when i saw no observed flow from return line. I removed the tach cable and observed the spindle turning so the pump must be turning. Any suggestions on what to do? Thx

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would disconnect the feed tube from the tank and then use a handheld oil can to pump some lube directly into the supply feed to the oil pump, this should get some oil to the pump gears and get things moving.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
1 member likes this: gavin eisler
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Newly connected oil lines? Wrong way round?

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Q
qbeanie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Q
No new lines but the bike has been sitting for several years. I will drain the oil tank and clean the filter to start and try feeding oil thru the supply line

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
I am not familiar with the SRM pumps but I do know that the Morgo gear type pumps need to be manually primed on first use so I would look there first.

John

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Hi

Sounds like you just fitted the new pump without filling it with oil and/or purging oil through the system and your pump is air locked. You could try putting a little bit of pressure into the oil tank via the vent line while holding your hand over the filler, to try and force oil into the pump.

my tuppence worth

John

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The SRM pumps used to come with instructions stating that you need to prime the oil line first, I’m not sure if this is still written. An oil can pushed into the feed line (tight fit) and the oprv out will prime the pump quickly.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Unlike a plunger pump, a gear pump does not have much suction when unprimed. You should have put oil in the pump gears before installing to give the gears more sealing. You could try pressurizing the oil tank to force the oil down the feed line.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by qbeanie
Very disappointed. Newly installed pump and kick kick kick. No flow out prv. Observed a pulse of dribbles on the oil return to tank during kicking. Stopped kicking after 30 minutes when i saw no observed flow from return line. I removed the tach cable and observed the spindle turning so the pump must be turning. Any suggestions on what to do? Thx

I'm a bit confused by your post. You say you "observed a pulse of dribbles", and then "saw no observed flow". Did the "pulse of dribbles" stop? I doubt that at kicking speed you would normally get any more than a dribble. Seems like that's all I got from mine after the last rebuild, and it was fine. (And I don't have an oil filter.)

Did you pump some oil into the crankcase to prime the return side? This is explicitly called for in the service Manual. You may want to check and see what's in the sump now, that could offer a clue as to what's going on.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
As Mark said above, did you prime both sides of the pump? Gear, or Gerotor, pumps will not pump air.

Q
qbeanie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Q
The pulsed dribbles was the oil from the sump. When the dribbles stopped, the sump was empty. Have added oil to the sump and will be trying to force oil thru to the pump supply .

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
A good way to prime the pump is to use a short rubber hose to connect an electric drill to it before you put the worm gear on. A little late at this stage. I would use one of the old style pump oil cans and disconnect the hose at the tank and pump oil down it or just let it sit a week and it should fill on it's own.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by qbeanie
The pulsed dribbles was the oil from the sump. When the dribbles stopped, the sump was empty. Have added oil to the sump and will be trying to force oil thru to the pump supply .

Ok, I got it now. Yeah definitely a problem. Deferring to others' suggestions...

At least you know the return side is working, huh?

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Q
qbeanie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Q
Yes. Have a steady stream on the return side while kicking. But no “steady flow” as stated in srm instruction from the prv. Will be gently forcing oil through the supply side.

Q
qbeanie Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Q
Thanks for the advice guys! I pulled the supply line from the tank and used a large syringe to push air into the oil filled tube. While pushing the syringe i hand operated the kick start and the pump primed itself. Steady flow from the prv and return to the tank.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Hopefully you meant oil rather than air?

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com