Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Alex
Alex
Seattle
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
It is generally acknowledged that the standard front brake switch fitted to T160s is a very poor design---and that is being kind!
As an improved reliable modification I used the later T140 components to give a reliable out of the way front brake switch on one of my T160s.
I attach some photos which hopefully show the installation clearly.
I made a dog leg bracket out of aluminum with a hole in each leg.
One of the ends was bolted to the hydraulic manifold.
The other was bolted to the lower bolt holding the headlight ear to the stanchion cover.
The bracket is not in much stress but you need some support to prevent the hydraulic pipe taking the stress.
One of the T140 pipes needed a bit of judicious bending to fit without leaking.
I made a bending former from a small piece of 4" X 2" wood by sawing and filing a semi circular end and then filing a groove in the semi circular end the size of the hydraulic pipe.
HTH

Attached Files

T160 Front Brake 1.jpg (53.59 KB, 119 downloads)
T160 Front Brake 2.jpg (62.75 KB, 117 downloads)
T160 Front Brake 3.jpg (49.03 KB, 119 downloads)
T160 Front Brake 4.jpg (62.09 KB, 111 downloads)
1 member likes this: jimmymckenna
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
TM, if you are still using the Lucas SPB401 3/8 unf threaded switch then even by making it accessible the switch still fails as it is unreliable but it is easier to change.

Luckily it's also unreliable in Morgans and the owners club has found a more reliable alternative.

The Brake Light Switch on traditional Morgans seems to be a component that 'regularly' fails.

https://sites.google.com/site/morganatica/06-electrics/switches-and-relays/brake-light-switch

The Intermotor 51610 (Lucas SPB401) with 3/8" UNF thread fitting Morgan 4/4 and Plus 8 1975->

So do both fixes, better location and the better quality Intermotor 51610.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The author of that posts states it regularly fails, but admits (s)he has never had one fail. I too had that part fitted onto 2 T140Ds between 1983 and 2011 and of the various parts that failed, the brake switch was never one of them on either bike

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi John--- many thanks---was not aware of that---but I am now so noted for future use.
Thanks again.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have had 3 fail over the years, hence why I went looking for an alternative that worked. One day they were working, next just nothing and I do not use the rear brake much.

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com