Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
jawthree
jawthree
Akron ohio
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
This is primarily in response to TR6Ray's query in the "tank rubbers" thread, but I think it may be of help to others who may have to deal with a 1967 fuel tank, so I started a new thread. The 1967 fuel tank is unique, and as I learned the hard way, improper mounting can lead to the breaking of bits which are getting harder and harder to source as time goes on.

The first photo shows the distance from the fuel tank to the handlebar mounting bolt. I know you can't read the ruler in the photo, but the distance is 9/16".
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The next photo shows the height of the fuel tank relative to the frame, and the location of the lower bracket. Ray asked, how does the rubber bushing stay in place? The answer is, it fits into the bracket very tightly. For many of the rubber bits, I've found it's better to make your own; then you can determine the needed dimensions and the consistency of the material used. This bushing must be quite firm, in order to keep the fuel tank from rocking side to side, which can lead to breakage, primarily at the top mount. My bushing happens to have a flange on the end, but this is not necessary. I also added a rubber washer between the bracket and the frame to cushion the bracket a bit.
Since I was taking pictures, I thought I'd also address the center mount assembly. The rubber bushing, which gets inserted into the chrome cup, and the flat washer, slip over the sleeve shown in the last photo. The shouldered nut however, butts up against the end of the sleeve. This is important because you don't want a lot of downward force against the chrome cup; that will break the cup.
This photo shows the rubber O-ring and trim pieces. On my '67 L, which was original when I bought it, there was also a flat metal ring, or washer, which I believe is also shown in the Spares Manual. However, whether above or below the O-ring, assembly with that metal ring simply DOES NOT WORK. It does not allow the ends of the trim pieces to fit into the slots in the chrome cup, and results in breaking off the ends of the trim pieces and/or the chrome cup.
Finally, a picture of the center mount bolt and sleeve, which are correct NOS parts, and the tank rubbers. I like to tape the rubbers in place to facilitate assembly. The front rubber measures 1 1/4" in height, and the rear rubber measures 3/4" in height.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
2 members like this: Psychopasta, TR6Ray
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mark, please educate me. What makes the ‘67 tank unique, aside from the cap? Is the shape different, and causes this Clearance issue? Had 5 A65s and never noticed a shape difference in height, always thought the cap was the only concern. Interesting for sure! I do know my ‘67 tank to bars clearance is SCARY close at turned to stop!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
1 member likes this: Allan G
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Well, the '66 tank does not have that center chrome strip or a ridge down the center or the center chrome "cup" (trim holder), right? I'm not sure, but I think the '67 might be the only year with the chrome trim. Also, the '66 tank being flat-bottomed, I would guess the lower bracket is a bit different as well. My comment about the '67 tank being unique referred mostly to the top center mount though.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
I stand corrected. I just looked at some photos and I see that '68-'70 models also have the chrome trim down the center. I guess the '67 tank is not so unique after all. It is, however, the first year that the bottom is not flat like the '65 and '66 tanks, and the last year of the Lucite badges.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This is a good example as I had a ‘66 that I “assumed” by way of patina was original. I forgot about the flat bottom and the smooth top, center cap!! Anyhow, back to the fit on the ‘67 - ON, I guess it’s a matter of trial and error with the frame rubbers, at least I’ve never been able to remember the order over the long period of project rebuilding. Of course the different fork top clamps makes a difference too!

M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Well, I can tell you that the tank on my '67 Lightning, which was original when I bought it in 1972, sat just like this one, so I guess the 1.25" and .75" rubbers are "correct", as things go. But after reading and thinking about TR6Ray's post, I would consider shaving another 1/16" to 1/8" off the rubbers if that would keep the handlebar bolts from hitting the trim when the wheel is turned to full lock.

Mark Z

Life member
Life member
I believe the 67 tank is one year only because of the small plastic badge. 68-70 have the large metal one.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Shaving the rubber would be a good idea as you mentioned. And if done “just enough”, wouldn’t disengage the bottom bracket rubber from the frame spike. I think I’d do that if I have my tank off again for some reason. That close fork to tank proximity still makes me nervous!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com