Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
royaloilfield
royaloilfield
Trenton, New Jersey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 91
Rohan 65
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Comeau, bsalloyd, Magnetoman), 21 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Boomer
The siding dates it to the teens making it over a 100 years old.

Too bad all the 100-year-old stuff got covered up, but WOW, what a transformation!

I, too would NEVER have burned or discarded it. I "rescued" our master bedroom suite that we built onto out mobile home in 1985; similar deal, had a guy re-level it, brace it properly, replaced some siding, and installed a whole new roof with significantly better pitch. It would have been "throwing away" $8,000 (well, $5,000 at least) if we'd have demolished it, PLUS the cost to demolish and haul it off!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
British motorcycles on eBay
F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
Kurt: Would something like this help with your summertime heat from the sun?
[Linked Image from familyhandyman.com]
[Linked Image from familyhandyman.com]
Link
The vent hole could be plugged with a piece of ridged foam for the winter months.

K
#irideslow
#irideslow
K
Frank, thanks, nice idea, and chickens are allowed in my town, not sure about roosters, though, but I wouldn't mind having one or two to respond to my neighbor's barking dogs. I don't blame the dogs, a dog is just a dog. But the neighbors ... I read once that there are no "dog problems" only "people problems." Actually it's not as bad as it used to be. But sometimes when I walk by the fence on the south side of the house, the dogs are lurking behind the shrubs, and when I get close, they let loose with those "Hounds of Hell" vocalizations. mad Heart attack ack ack ack ...

And ... uhmmm ... oh, wait, did you mean the rooster, or the cupola? confused

OK, right, yes, I see what you mean, vent the peak of the garage roof. The garage has two screened windows, I open the shady side and bring in air with a window fan. The 16' overhead door does have a little insulation, but could use more to keep the interior from baking. Got me thinking now ... thanks!

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Originally Posted by Bry
Interesting series of videos on the MAC Christian, looking forward to seeing your future progress.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks Bry. Your shop looks like heaven! You could perform surgery on that bench.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not really my workshop but its the garage I have access to in Brooklyn. It is usually full of electric bikes but they have all been sent back to the factory, now waiting for the next versions to arrive. The extra space has been nice to keep a few of my bikes in the city though and ive been able to change the oil and the shocks on my jeep in here. Waiting for the go ahead to throw away all of the extra packing material so I can give the garage a good clean up.

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Not really my workshop but its the garage I have access to in Brooklyn.

Dude, there are 3 (possibly only 2) things in that garage that make me jealous (in a good way). The Vespa, the Yamaha and the Zero (assuming that the box isnt empty which given your text it might be)

Bravo.

I have a soft spot for Yamaha trail bikes. Vespa's and Lambretta' are cool as hell and the Zero seems to be neck and neck with the Live Wire as the best two EV bikes at the moment. I would love one for by commute but will have to wait until the cost comes down.

John

P.S. Ironically none of them are a Britbike.

Last edited by George Kaplan; 02/06/20 8:04 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes the Zero boxes are empty .... Until the next ones come in. We usually have 5 or 6 models to loan to journalist so they can spread the word. They are really great for commuting as you say.... That is the perfect use for them.... Riding light to light in urban environments is great too . With no clutch or gears or over heating or ny of the worries with a fuel powered bike.
as the charging stations get more plentiful and the charging time gets shorter . The Zero has been around a long time and they are definitely at the top of the curve .....

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The Yamaha is a fun bike.... Its in the city right now for photo duty . It will go back to PA for the summer riding .... Thats the plan so far . The Vespa is someone else's that is just stored there for photo duty as well. I do think they are cool looking but Ive never ridden one.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
My garage is so full you can't see the A65 behind the Rover!

garage.jpg

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
A quick update from my workshop. I have finally managed to get the lathe in and set up! smile

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Slowly getting organised. I have expensive stuff for work so for home I picked up these 3 benches and the tool box for under $450.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good going, Rod!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Latest update on the new shop: Slab is done (photo over a week ago).

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

The steel erectors will arrive with my old garage materials, ready to start in on the new hangar/shop next week (finally)

It seems once again I was subjected to buffoonery. I wasted $110 on renting the rotary trowel expecting a polished finish. It turned out worse than if they had just left it "floated" with the large hand trowel. Also took 3 hours of driving both ways, and almost a tank of gas to rent it then return it...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 03/09/20 11:04 pm.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by R Moulding
Slowly getting organised. I have expensive stuff for work so for home I picked up these 3 benches and the tool box for under $450.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rod

That's really going to be nice .....

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
GrandPaul,
Something went wrong then. You should have gotten a much more polished surface. Things that can screw that up are: trowling or working the surface too much; waiting too long before using it; not waiting long enough to use it; too "wet" a mixture; too "dry" a mixture.

Ed from NJ

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Looks like you got on it while it was too wet, with power floating you have to wait until its almost too late, looks like you whipped it instead of polishing it.
Don't lose heart , if it's fairly flat consider a few thick coats of good 2 pack epoxy floor paint.
It will hide a multitude of sins, give a wicked gloss finish, its oil/petrol proof and can be easily be hand mopped clean back to "lab" clean.
If you go for a light grey you can also find those fiddly little bits you drop on the floor.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah, "I know concrete, and it's not that hard"

hee hee

Well, I DON'T know concrete, so I hire people on the assumption that THEY DO! In this case, they didn't. They said "order it dry"; the plant said the driest we'll send out is 4" (slump). Truck arrives, the guys see what's coming out and immediately say "it's too dry".

Well, crap.

So, it ended up too wet? What do I know.

Yes, I know, epoxy coat. Well, that means several hundred dollars more, which the rotary trowel was supposed to eliminate at half the cost. So, now, it's TWICE the cost? No thanx.

It's not really super-important, other than harder to clean, and KEEP clean. Great.

I'll probably use those snap-lock nylon flooring tiles and do traditional garage black-and-white checkerboard (at least in the office and shop)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I discovered another cheap secret.
I have a bunch of those plastic containers that hang on expensive racks. Even if you can find the racks without a bunch of containers included, they are stupid expensive.
Buy a bunch of 99 cent socket racks at Hardly Great Tools, remove the socket clips, cut to size and screw them to the wall. A full strip will hold four of the yellow ones.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kurt fischer
Frank, thanks, nice idea, and chickens are allowed in my town, not sure about roosters, though, but I wouldn't mind having one or two to respond to my neighbor's barking dogs. I don't blame the dogs, a dog is just a dog. But the neighbors ... I read once that there are no "dog problems" only "people problems." Actually it's not as bad as it used to be. But sometimes when I walk by the fence on the south side of the house, the dogs are lurking behind the shrubs, and when I get close, they let loose with those "Hounds of Hell" vocalizations. mad Heart attack ack ack ack ...
You wanna really get back at them? Get some peacocks, or geese. laughing

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
David, next on my list........

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/ma...Mgw5EAQYBCABEgKFHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

How do you argue at that price!

Cheers, Paul. Lannis, my biggest problem previously was my workshop doubled as my paint shop and for general storage. After a while I gave up trying to stop everything being covered in paint dust. I can't tell you how exited I am to have a nice clean organised space to work in. I have a relatively small shed outside that may work as an occasional paint shop but I will need to rig up a decent extraction system, probably something like a bathroom extractor piped into a large bin filled with water........have to give it more thought.

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
For my “booth” such as it is, I framed in a corner with 2x4 and covered it with a material used for making large patterns. It’s similar to tarp material. I understand there are better materials out there that don’t suffer from static cling. Used furnace filters for intake and exhaust and air is pulled out by a box fan with a brushless motor. Rather than a bathroom fan, unless it is brushless, you could use a marine bilge blower because they are explosion proof. Small ones run on 12v DC, but you can get larger 115AC, but not cheap. That’s the reason I went for a box fan. Maybe a little risky, but it is brushless. Main thing is what you are breathing, so a good respirator and better to use a larger fan to move air.
Air filter/dryer hiding in the back. Big zipper for getting in and out... a door would be more practical.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]1D69D61F-A206-4DD7-B867-F7969A2AE5EB by First Last, on Flickr

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Latest update on the new shop: Slab is done (photo over a week ago).

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

The steel erectors will arrive with my old garage materials, ready to start in on the new hangar/shop next week (finally)

It seems once again I was subjected to buffoonery. I wasted $110 on renting the rotary trowel expecting a polished finish. It turned out worse than if they had just left it "floated" with the large hand trowel. Also took 3 hours of driving both ways, and almost a tank of gas to rent it then return it...

To get the smooth "polished finish you need a sleel bladed trowel and sufficient water to keep it lubed but not enough to seperate the cement.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
concrete flat work is an aquired skill

how wet at the batch plant , how long on the truck .

the weather when poured . all these affect the set time .
and the good guys know when to trowel and when to wait .

if you tried to save a few bucks ... the less than good finish is part of the learning curve .

if you hired professions ... i would make them jackhammer it out ... and do it again .
( the failure could be more than surface deep )

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
if you hired professions ... i would make them jackhammer it out ... and do it again .
( the failure could be more than surface deep )
Let's just say "semi-pro"...

Ain't gonna be no jackhammers on site, no sir.

Steel is going up in 6 days, PERIOD.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 03/21/20 5:24 pm.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I live in a colder climate. Northern Illinois can get down to -15 degrees F. on some winter days.

If I was able to afford an new garage/shop building, it would have a radiant-heat floor.
I spent too many years working on cold cement floors, with only a rubber mat or a thin piece of carpet between me and the floor.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com