Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
TJD
TJD
Devonport Tasmania
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#799708 03/01/20 9:47 am
K
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
K
After all the Biblical weather we've enjoyed over here in Blighty lately, I'm amazed at how many people wash their cars/bikes as soon as the Sun comes out.... shocked

Why...? is my question... help

Surely it would be easier to leave the vehicle to be cleaned, out in the rain to soak into all the mud, THEN wash it with soap and a sponge, then leave it out there to rinse off.... thumbsup

Life is far too short to muck about wasting a nice day on such a menial task I feel, suppose it's just like pushing buttons when the Sun shines, so to that end I'm off..... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
1 member likes this: Morgan aka admin
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
My philosophy is "Why wash it? It's just going to get dirty again!"

There IS some value to washing your bike, since when you pass your hand over ever square inch of it, your hand can find things that are not right that your eye can't see, like loose nuts or sheet metal, or maybe some oil or fluid where there was none before. So I do it sometimes ... not on a pretty riding day, though.

And I don't use soap and water. I use the old Honda cleaning spray for the paintwork and plastic, and WD40 or something like it for the aluminum, steel, and chrome. Water is what you're FIGHTING on your bike, not something you want to add. Nothing wrong with the "oily rag" look and the bike looks better.

I know folks that keep their bikes looking brand new, using Simichrome polish and Q-tip cotton swaps to get into every nook and cranny every time they ride it. I'm not saying that they don't ride a lot or they're not good riders, but they spend as much time cleaning as they do riding. And good on 'em if that's what makes 'em happy ... everyone needs a hobby. But that's not the way I roll .... !

Lannis

It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.
1 member likes this: Morgan aka admin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dirt and grime have weight.

Weight requires horsepower to propel.

A lighter bike (all else being equal) is a faster bike.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
DOPE
DOPE
ive been told that that is why the american army air force stopped painting its aircraft during the second world war.

two or three hundred pounds was just paint on a big one

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Heh-heh, my father once told me that paint decision was reached much too late, in his opinion.

He was sent to the Aleutian Islands in 1943 as a member of a squadron of B-24s that were all painted pink... which was the approved USAAF desert camo at that time. The entire squadron was prepared to be sent to Africa, when at the last minute the threat assessment was revised to Jap invasion through the Aleutians, and they were re-assigned immediately without time for a re-paint.

They never lived down the "glory" of the arrival of the flight of "Pink Elephants" in Alaska, and in fact didn't try to... their squadron insignia became just that, a winged pink elephant sporting machine guns for tusks, with a bomb grasped in its trunk. (Though the Army ended up changing it to a white elephant, not wanting the alcoholic reference of pink elephants, uh-huh).

Can't really hijack a thread on R&T, right...?

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I knew a couple of young guys (they were brothers) who were car fanatics. When it rained they would be out there washing their cars using that pure clean rain water instead of a hose. Apparently the rain water gave the cars the cleanist rinse possible.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com