Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 28
Newest Members
NRpolo, Ianc15, chuckhaz, Motorelic, Mrmoe
12,118 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Vincent Esposito, desco, quinten, R Moulding, David in Atlanta, jimmymckenna, Magnetoman), 41 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,031
Posts769,175
Members12,118
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q

1. the tricon kill will work as a kill , with points ignition , if you wire it at the right spots
for positive ground ... wire the kill to both positive poles of both coils .
the kill , when pushed , over-rides the points and denies the coils a chance to collapse ... so the engine dies .
the kill is "safe" because it uses the resistive path of the coils as the load

2. you could fit a tricon kill to one of the stator signal leads of most analog Boyer/Pazon ignitions too .
and it should work . ( not the cleanest wiring method , but viable if done well )
(one end of the triggering signal is shunted so there is no complete signal circuit ) ...

3. the original triconsul was performing a different function than the tricon ...with what looks like the same switch ,
but the inside of one of the switches is wired differently ... and has a different colored switch button to distinguish the feature .

the high beam flash is designed to be used when passing or to get another driver's attention .
its not a must have thing till you get used to having one .

Norton on eBay
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Originally Posted by quinten

1. the tricon kill will work as a kill , with points ignition , if you wire it at the right spots
the kill , when pushed , over-rides the points and denies the coils a chance to collapse ... so the engine dies .
the kill is "safe" because it uses the resistive path of the coils as the load

2. you could fit a tricon kill to one of the stator signal leads of most analog Boyer/Pazon ignitions too .
and it should work . ( not the cleanest wiring method , but viable if done well )
(one end of the triggering signal is shunted so there is no complete signal circuit ) ...

3. the original triconsul was performing a different function than the tricon ...with what looks like the same switch ,
but the inside of one of the switches is wired differently ... and has a different colored switch button to distinguish the feature .

the high beam flash is designed to be used when passing or to get another driver's attention .
its not a must have thing till you get used to having one .

Pretty much summed up my thinking! I'll likely just roll with the Ducon. My thinking was that I would use the Tricon as a coil collapse as mentioned, but in the long run, I'll likely not need the kill button or flash-to-pass feature as it's *technically* not legal to use in NY (so no worries about complex wiring for something that could cause some confusion amongst the proles), so I'll just to the Ducon thang...

As a side note here, folks will know I'm there if passing them - the series 1 dunstall decibel mufflers will definitely be heard!

Thank you for help in clarifying my thinking and explaining... lots of awesome knowledge up here!!! thumbsup

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
"1. the tricon kill will work as a kill , with points ignition , if you wire it at the right spots
the kill is "safe" because it uses the resistive path of the coils as the load"

I read that you're not intending to go down this route. Just as well, because it wouldn't work.
The magneto kill button on the Tricon is a simple single pole push-to-ground switch.
Both coil +ves would have to connect to the same terminal of the Tricon. This means that the 2 coil +ves are permanently joined.
This will make a nonsense of the ignition system, in which both contact breakers are acting on both coils at the same time.
The engine will not run.

The only ways I can think of to achieve this function with this switch would be to use either:

- a double pole normally open relay (I'm sure they exist, might take a bit of searching) so a separate pole for each coil +ve

or

- 2 normally open relays (one for each coil +ve), which is really just a clumsy way of making one of the above.

In both cases the switching terminals would be connected to system -ve and kill switch, and each coil +ve would be connected to separate poles or separate relays with the other switched terminals going to ground.

Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
I read that you're not intending to go down this route. Just as well, because it wouldn't work.
The magneto kill button on the Tricon is a simple single pole push-to-ground switch.
Both coil +ves would have to connect to the same terminal of the Tricon. This means that the 2 coil +ves are permanently joined.
This will make a nonsense of the ignition system, in which both contact breakers are acting on both coils at the same time.
The engine will not run.

you are right .
no fuse would blow , but the coils would get pretty hot .,,, and probably no sparks
the open time ( firing ) of one set of points would be covered by the second set that is closed ... and vice versa .
only an incredibly special points dwell cam would allow the (simple kill to work) ... so not at all practical .
if you could work out ... not overlapping the 2 coils charge times .
... each individual set of points would fire both coils ( I don't think this was the goal )

my idea is crap .. for an ignition running 2 sets of points
it would only work with one set of points ( like a magneto )
... a single cyinder engine ... or a twin with a distributor .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This thread seems to be going round in circles, is the Wipac switch I posted not a Triconsul ? or should I get a picture of the internals.

L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by Les P
is the Wipac switch I posted not a Triconsul ?

Looks like a Triconsul.

The problem is finding one as the available (copies) are Ducon or Tricon.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
This thread seems to be going round in circles, is the Wipac switch I posted not a Triconsul ? or should I get a picture of the internals.

I dunno about circles, but I'm sure learning a lot about this stuff... I thought I had it figured out before... I guess I was quite a bit off lol

Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q

it is a triconsul ... or looks like one should .
do you have one ?

there were pictures on the web , at one time of the wiring differences , but they seem to have been
Photo-bucket-ed in the " great picture Purge"
the text portion and explanation is still on Norton access .

heres an animation that someone did that shows most of whats going on with the tricon-sul
but you have to sniff out the missing wiring and imagine they switch contact action .
Notice how only the black switch uses a groundable shaped contact . (the missing handlebars themselves would be the ground .)
the vid does not show the jumper from green contact to headlight high beam filament .
the spring contacts can be seen at about the 12 ~ 15 sec.
the green contact is not to ground ... but to a second pole ... so it is just a simple momentary contact switch

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten

Do you have one ?

I believe so as per the pictures attached on Page 2 of this thread.
The pictures are days old and yes anything from old threads with pictures via Photobucket are all but gone now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com