Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (quinten), 21 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi
I'm after a 1974 Triumph TR5MX Avenger. Can't seem to find one so hopefully one of you good folk will come up with a nice surprise for me?
Many thanks in advance.

British motorcycles on eBay
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Nick there is a nice (but expensive) Yellow TR5T on ebay got to be close to what you are looking for ..... its megga bucks!

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi Tommy,
Thanks for the heads up, yes if it's the one from Redcar you are looking at it's expensive. The guy even says in the listing, "the price is the price, deal with it"!!!
However it's not what I'm really after. I will keep on looking and hopefully someone on here will pop up with a nice Avenger?

All the best to you and many thanks for your suggestion.

Nick

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
there is one in oz ebay
baz

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi Baz and Happy New Year to you and all on the Britbike Forum.
I've had a look on the Aussie eBay site and unfortunately the bike is a modified TR5T and not the TR5 MX.

Never mind it was good of you to reply and I will keep looking. All the very best.

Nick

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The one I saw on AU eBay was some bitza TR5T with at the minimum T100R engine cases with a reserve of $6000.

Mikes Classics Cycle Spares in Queensland did have a very nice original TR5MX but can not find it now, that is a long way from the UK mind you.
You might have better luck getting one out of the USA given the 'keen asking prices in the UK.

Here is one of my TR5T's (2211 miles) listed last year for what would have been around £3500/£3750, two virtual tyre kickers is all it got so keep it I will.

IMG_0063.JPG
Last edited by Les P; 01/03/20 9:17 pm.
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
OP says he is looking for a
1974 Triumph TR5MX Avenger .... this is a bsa B50 engined machine .
yeah , i never heard of one of these either .
The Google says about 600 were built ?
[Linked Image from suprememotos.com]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi Les, many thanks for the lead. I've tried responding on the website a couple of times however the response I get when I send a message is that's the bike is not available. Must have missed it. I've tried searching for it via a number of bike dealers but to no avail. I'll keep looking and again, thanks for the lead.

Nick

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
No lead here, just an observation.
I was given a partially completed race bike project a year ago. By the numbers, DHxxxxx, it was made in april 73. It's also stamped B50MX. My understanding is that BSA was gone by then. It also wears a Triumph tank like the bike above but with no script on the tank. I've met the man that purchased it new and he said that it is as he got it.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
A rebadged B-50MX & Duarte had a 570cc BB-kit. page 183 Triumph In America. Might PM John Healy for more info here or @ TIOC

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Nick Law
Hi Les, many thanks for the lead. I've tried responding on the website a couple of times however the response I get when I send a message is that's the bike is not available. Must have missed it. I've tried searching for it via a number of bike dealers but to no avail. I'll keep looking and again, thanks for the lead.

Nick

Hi Nick, even being optimistic, finding one, let alone a good one in the UK might take some detective work.
TR5T's are similar with the 1974 model only having 900 + units made, they come up for sale but as original bikes not so often.
I have never seen another 74 like the one I have correct down to the Krizman spark arrestor and in the condition it is.

You could try Mike as they had an original ( <iirc) TR5MX last year listed for sale, of course if you bought one overseas, two would pop up locally afterwards.
https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/

You never know what can pop up though, I watched for a TR7T to buy for a long time and when I stopped looking a year or so later what pops up locally on eBay, a 1982 that had been in storage for 20+ years and all original.... and then it sold for what would have been under £6000.
Still kicking myself for what would have been a very usable model bike that I remember seeing new on the shop floor in NZ.
Good luck with the search.

IMG_0072.JPG
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nick--they come up occasionally here in US.
But not many produced and not many come up for sale.
Probably best bet is to search the US Craiglists using a search facility such as Searchtempest.
HTH

G
Novice poster
Novice poster
G
There's one just pop up on Ebay with no engine or id

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Folks
Many thanks for your posts.
I've checked them out but apart from the Project bike on eBay I've had no luck. I think this is way overpriced and a lot of work to get what I want.
The tempest search engine is a great tool so I'll use that.
I think detective work is definitely needed with this quest.
Many many thanks for all your help.

And yes one will probably pop up round the corner.

Happy days indeed.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nick-- I will keep my ear to the ground here in US and if anything comes up I will let you know.
Best of luck for your New Year searching!

Last edited by Tridentman; 01/09/20 10:00 pm.
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
the 71 to 73 bsa B50mx are essentially the same bike
i think they even used those
bodacious jet rocket silencers on the bsa b50mx73 model .

Are you a stickler for the 74 triumph version , made out of leftover parts ?
Searching bsa , back to 71 , would widen the pool ?

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Folks,
Just refreshing my thread, still no luck in my quest. A couple of leads but no joy yet. I'm sure my luck will change. Hopefully. If you do have any ideas let me know?
Cheers,

Nick

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I’ve got a 73 BSA B50MX a guy down the road from me has the Triumph TR5MX, except for the tanks they’re pretty much the same. Since BSA wasn’t around any longer Triumph just rebadged the B50MX as they aren’t bad bikes. Sorry neither one is for sale. Good luck finding one though. Gene

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Nick,

Originally Posted by Nick Law
still no luck in my quest.

Mmmm ... are you sure what you're after actually exists? As posted:-

Originally Posted by Mike Baker
was given a partially completed race bike project a year ago. By the numbers, DHxxxxx, it was made in april 73.

By April 1973, the BSA Group was in receivership, being broken up to separate Triumph and the BSA marque to combine with Norton and Villiers to make NVT. Afaict, NVT started the '1974' model year in June 1973. A bike built in April 1973 was the Receiver using a few Small Heath employees to assemble whatever could be assembled from bits in parts bins?

Fwiw, I do know that, early in its existence, NVT assembled some 'concept bikes' based on ex-BSA models, one of which was a B50 badged as a "Norton International" (is that a small earthquake or many Norton luminaries revolving in their graves? laughing ) ... However, given the penny numbers total sold since '71, I suspect said "Norton International" would've made a lead balloon look like a flier?

Also bear in mind Alan Clews got to haul away a lot of (all the remaining?) B50 bits and turn the engine and CCM into a roaring success? I'm suspecting a real honest-to-God '74 is going to make rocking-horse poo look positively common?

Originally Posted by Les P
TR5T's are similar

Insofar as a TR5T is a Triumph 500 twin in a look-like-a-B50 frame while a TR5MX is a complete B50 500 cc single with just Triumph badges on the tank? smile

Also specifically TR5MX (and B50MX) electrics are zombie (risen from the dead to consume owners' bank balances) Energy Transfer. The alternator is a RM22 - essentially about one-third of a RM21 stator (a section containing a pair of stator coils plus adjacent mounting holes) charging an AC ignition coil.

Originally Posted by Les P
TR5T
1974 model only having 900 + units made,

Aside, the US importer had ordered, and NVT had planned production of many more, scuppered by the Meriden sit-in. frown

Hth.

Regards,

N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Folks, And so the search goes on. I just missed one on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Literally by minutes. Was gutted.

The guy selling put me onto one from his neighbour and I've spoken to him.
He wants a lot of money for it. So I'm still chewing the cud on this.

Got another lead from an advert I posted on another website but I'm really suspicious of this. It's way cheaper than anything I've seen and just does not feel right. So I gues the old adage re if it looks too good is applicable here. The guy keeps asking me for my address.

So I'm still looking.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
i know of one for sale if you are still looking you can pm me i will send you contact info, its not advertised anywhere yet.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nick, you do know that if you find one for sale somewhere in the US, you can ask one of us to look at it for you. There' a fair chance of finding some one close enough.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?

Moderated by  Steve Erickson 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com