Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G'day Everyone,

I need a pair of new liners for some T100 barrels I've recently purchased. They didn't come with the original liners. The barrel measures up at 2.670" Does anyone know what they should be standard and how much crush there needs to be between the barrel and liner? I see Hepolite make liners but I can only find info on the bore size not the O/D

Cheers

Pete

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I just measured the old original liners from my T100 (because I never throw anything out) and they came in at 2.672 inches. I just assumed the replacements were correct when I swapped them over and didn't bother measuring them.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Tasman.
I'm not sure .002" is enough crush. I think over size liners maybe available. I'll continue researching.

Cheers

Pete

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If I had a set of alloy barrels that needed new liners I would have alloy liners fitted with a Nikasil coating. PES in the UK can do it, EdV would be the one to ask in the US.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by 58thunderbird
Thanks Tasman.
I'm not sure .002" is enough crush. I think over size liners maybe available. I'll continue researching.

Cheers

Pete

Depends on the manufacturer of the liner. Different cast iron material used in casting the liner will expand at different rates. Wherever the liners were made instructions should be recommended accordingly. I think .002 interference fit is what you need for the original liners for that bore size. Instructions included with this liner say to bore the block to the OD shown, 2.670".

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bill B...

Boomer
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hi All,
Old alloy cylinders "relax" over the years and lose the interference fit on the liners, This corresponds with your measurements and those
on the liner box in the photo where those liners would only be size for size
Look at your cylinders for oil / carbon staining in the bores?
Vincent cylinder muffs do this spectacularly !!!

On the T100 I built about 10 years ago I had the alloy cylinder bored true and custom oversize liners made
Unfortunately the business that did that is no longer in business

John

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Here are the instructions from inside the Hepolite liner box. If you have to go oversize to clean up and square your bores I would contact LA Sleeve. Again, go by their instructions as they use a different cast iron material then the "Vacrit" that Hepolite used.

Secondly, there was an early and late liner and the difference is the recess in the combustion chamber for the protruding spigot on the liner. Check which head you have or will be using for the correct dimension.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bill B...

Boomer

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com