Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Hi Matty, you might get more success starting a new thread...

However, personally, I am not an advocate of having a nut each side the rim, I have tried this and find the tube isn't sitting snugly to the rim, the other thing I do is NOT clamp the nuts down from the top of the rim either, Instead I screw them up against the dust cap. These nuts will never hold the tube in place and if the tube does creep then before you know it you will have ripped the valve out with no sign of anything (if you have a nut each side you have even less warning as the valve will still sit pert on the rim). with no nuts locking you'll see the valve angled one way or the other giving plenty of time to let out some air and move it along the rim.

as for why its leaking air, its possible that there is air trapped between the tube and tyre and slowly working its way out (if you've had the tyre off recently) if youve inflated the tube and submerged the tube alone in water then there shouldn't be a problem there... Either that or the valve could be leaking itself and with not being mounted isn't adding enough external pressure to allow any to leak out. a change of valve core sometimes works or a bit of spit on the end of the valve then pump it up often works too.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Are the latest tubes from Michelin and another supplier I have used porous in some way

I think it depends on the thickness of the inner tube wall and material, Michelin make 3 different grades of inner tube, standard, heavy duty and ultra heavy duty. The thickest (4mm) and most puncture resistant is the ultra heavy duty version intended for motocross use see This link

Last edited by gunner; 06/08/19 6:13 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just to show that there is nothing new under the sun, I remember when BeezaBryan told us THIS back in 2010. laugh

Hi, Bryan!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com