Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JD
JD
Maryland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 25
NickL 24
Newest Members
Vincent in LA, Lil Dave, OWhatAThrill, Mountain Rider, ToddK
11,996 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (John Harvey, gavin eisler, Pat), 24 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,326
Posts758,926
Members11,995
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
we used to run a bee outfit in california. 900 hives for pollination and queen sales. lost them all in ohio, but now we have one again

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great work Kevin, nice to be able to put a face to a name, impressed that you dont wear any protective gear !

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Very cool! Enjoyed that.

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
swarms are wonderful. generally they're very good natured and easy to catch. you can just drop them into a cardboard box with a hole and they're happy, but it's best to put them into something more or less permanent as soon as possible because they'll start drawing comb immediately.

easy to find out about if you're interested in keeping bees. just tell your fire department, police, and local school district that you'll take their swarms, and your telephone will not stop ringing all spring.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
So tell me, why do they even sell "bee outfits" with all the protective stuff? I would have thought that these bees would be stinging the bejeezus out of you, what with all the shaking and pushing and harassing them off the branch and into the hive ....

Read up on your Kipling ("Dymchurch Flit" for a start) about Hobden's son they call the "Bee Boy" and you'll know why I'm asking!

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I just finished a story for my newspaper about beekeeping and bee swarms the reason they are docile when swarming is the fact that before they leave the overcrowded hive and fly off to establish a new one with about half of the original mob is because they gorge themselves with honey.. this makes them fat and happy they are concentrating on setting up a new house and unless you really provoke them they will leave you alone if you have a swarm then call your local agricultural extension office and they will put you in contact with a beekeeper who can come out and will gladly take the little rascals...……..

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by Lannis
So tell me, why do they even sell "bee outfits" with all the protective stuff? I would have thought that these bees would be stinging the bejeezus out of you, what with all the shaking and pushing and harassing them off the branch and into the hive ....

Read up on your Kipling ("Dymchurch Flit" for a start) about Hobden's son they call the "Bee Boy" and you'll know why I'm asking!

Lannis

a beehive will vary in its moods with the weather and conditions. on a warm sunny day with all the old and irritable fielders out working, it will be calm and gentle. then touchy in late afternoon when they're back. if there's a honey flow, they'll ignore you. when the flow stops, they dont want you around.

the last half hour before sunset you can do no wrong. the fielders are fed and in for the night, the hive bees are fanning at the entrance to evaporate the nectar, the guards are relaxed and having a beer, or whatever it is that they do when the day is winding down. that's when you load em on a truck, or run a new queen in the entrance, or pop the lids to do a frame count for the customer, and so on. an hour later, they will murder you if you touch em.

swarms are generally happy, but a dry swarm that's been hanging too long will not appreciate being messed with. i used a bee suit if i was shaking bees for sale, because i would shake out 25 pounds of bees into a screened box, maybe 200 pounds at a time. you're in too much of a hurry doing that to be patient with them, so you suit up. and if i was filling baby nucs to raise queens, i always wore a suit, because i was dipping bees out of a box a quarter-pound at a time with a spam can, under red lights.

and lots of bee work is done at night, when they don't fly and don't like to be bothered. on nice days they're the angels of agriculture. at night or in the rain they turn into cockroaches that sting.

knuckle head
knuckle head
Kevin, Joy wants to know if the bees were happy and stayed in the box.....Years ago in one our old houses honey bees were seen getting in through a hole in the siding...They had a hive between floors.. At night I found where they were and pried up a floor board..The bees seemed calm or drugged? and Joy using a gloved hand scooped out the bees and honey comb... Lots of apple farmers around here ,they use bees for pollination..

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
they were settled in and drawing comb yesterday evening. as soon as the queen starts laying its permanent, because the nurse bees will not leave the brood, period.

i mixed up a gallon of syrup for them. i used to buy corn syrup 1000 gallons at a time. but to mix up sucrose syrup for the baby nucs i would take a 55 gallon drum, put in 17 gallons of water, and then add 400 pounds of sugar. sucrose is the best feed, after honey.

getting bees out of a house is hard work and not really worth it to a beekeeper. my grandparents place had a colony over the side door in oklahoma for as long as i can remember. i'm sure it died out and other bees moved in a hundred times. they were always there.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
That was absolutely fascinating, Kevin !

knuckle head
knuckle head
Hi Stephen! Kevin mentioned they are Italian bees...It's my understanding there were no native honey bees in North America..They were brought over by Europeans to pollinate introduced fruit trees and plants...Native Indian folklore says when they saw a honey bee they new the White man was coming...

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com